It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Peripheral neuropathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
    Leemashiah
    (female)

Leemashiah HB User
    Peripheral neuropathy

I have Peripheral neuropathy for two years due to chemo therapy treatments.
    I don't want to take medications, and I wonder if anyone knows of an alternative treatment which really works.
    The numbness in my feet makes it hard to walk and it really bother me a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
    Elizabeth804
    (female)

Elizabeth804 HB UserElizabeth804 HB User
    Re: Peripheral neuropathy

I have PN and not only are my toes extremely painful, to say the least - and it is hard for people to understand how you can feel pain (it is from the nerves inside the foot) and still not feel the ground.

I have had this PN for over 8 years and it is progressively getting worse. However, I can personally attest that If I didn't push myself to do exercises (specific to PN like for the feet, ankles, calves, etc) I would not be walking. Yes, it is uncomfortable and no fun; but, you can break the exercises up into 10 minute intervals 3 or 4 times a day. Walking in a pool is really good therapy and the resistance of the water strengthens the muscles. I also take a solid dose of magnesium which has helped immensely.

I suggest you get a Physical Therapist who specializes in PN and muscle strengthening and have her work with you and teach you how to remember how to walk (as properly as you can) - If you don't exercise, the motion you have now will get less and less because of lack of use. Gabapentin works for some people, but Vit. B12, D and Calcium along with B6 and magnesium have been the best for me. Good Luck,
    Elizabeth

Closed Thread

Tags
    peripheral neuropathy