It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Femoral nerve damage

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
    zentraf
    (female)

zentraf HB User
    Femoral nerve damage

I have been diagnosed w femoral neuropathy of my right leg. I've had the EMG/NCT, MRI etc. The injury happened in July of 2014. My doctor says I stretched the femoral nerve.
    I can lift up my leg while laying down & I can kick my leg out almost straight while sitting down. I have severe quad atrophy & the doc says it will be about a year for the nerve to heal at 1inch per month to see where I am at. I am still numb on the inside of my leg above & below my right knee & of course I have the tingling & shooting pains. My knee is still a little wobbly because the muscles are still pretty weak & numb around it. It is not as bad as it was & not as sensitive. At the beginning it hurt to barely touch my skin or if anything rubbed against it it was excruciating. I still can't do leg extensions because my leg is not strong enough & I have to do stairs one at a time. I have a cane for stuff like that. My doctor doesn't want to retest me until a year is up. My questions are will the atrophy go away if the nerve regenerates after a year? & if it doesn't am I screwed & left w a skinny leg? If anyone else has recovered from this please let me know how long it took to reinnervate those atrophied muscles if it happened at all. I requested that I get retested at the 6 month mark to check progress. Not sure if that is going to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
    zentraf
    (female)

zentraf HB User
    Re: Femoral nerve damage

If anyone knows a doctor in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that does surgery on this type of femoral nerve/lumbosacral radiculopathy injury please let me know

Old 02-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zentraf View Post
    If anyone knows a doctor in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that does surgery on this type of femoral nerve/lumbosacral radiculopathy injury please let me know
    your nerves have to heal first, before you can begin therapy to restore some of atrophied muscle

The Following User Says Thank You to neuroproblem For This Useful Post:
    zentraf (03-24-2015)
    Old 03-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
    zentraf
    (female)

zentraf HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neuroproblem View Post
    your nerves have to heal first, before you can begin therapy to restore some of atrophied muscle
    Thanks for your response but ouch the pain I was worried about the atrophy because I have read after a year what you see us what you get and it has been almost 8 months now

Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zentraf View Post
    Thanks for your response but ouch the pain I was worried about the atrophy because I have read after a year what you see us what you get and it has been almost 8 months now
    What caused the damage? muscle is recoverable, if you have consistent therapy.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
    zentraf
    (female)

zentraf HB User

My brother found me on my bed w my leg hanging over the side so the doctors say I stretched my femoral nerve. I'm guessing I might have been that way up to 6 or so hours but not sure. Was released from physical therapy a couple of weeks ago. I was goin once a week at that time for a few months. Was going more often at the beginning but she released me because the last couple of months nothing has changed. I'm now goin on 8 months and barely notice any muscle growth so I still have knee weakness. I can go up stairs slowly now. My back has been starting to bother me so I had an mri done and the spine doc said just had normal disk herniation for my age. I'm goin to a plastic surgeon on Monday to see what he says about it. But like I said before it's getting close to a year and I a fraud of being stuck w a skinny leg and could do w out the pain. I'm thinking something else is wrong because after the injury I lost 15lbs in 3 days and 20 by the end of the week and the atrophy came after a few days also so it has been skinny from the very start. Currently I just go to the gym or for walks or workout at joke to exercise my leg. I was never given a brace when my leg buckled a lot at the beginning so I'm not sure if that would have helped strengthen my leg or made it easier to distribute the weight. My doctors just kept saying no to the brace so now when I walk my right leg snaps back straight to compensate so I'm never really using my quads much. I fell on my knee in January while doin exercises now it sounds really crunchy and it's numb on the right side of my shin. My doctor said if it doesn't hurt don't worry about it but I can't feel most of my leg anyway. Seems like the bones might be rubbing

Last edited by zentraf; 03-27-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    femoral nerve, healing process, neuropathy, time frame