It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board

• is food combining really necessary?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User
    is food combining really necessary?

evening all. yeah, just wondering if its really necessary to food combine. just been reading about it in the book "you are what you eat" by gillian mckeith. she says its necessary because different types of food produce enzymes with different phs, eg. protein produces acid and starch alkaline, which can neutralise each other, and so hinder digestion, if they are eaten at the same meal. but i read in the "food bible" by judith wills that for people with normal strong digestive systems its not necessary, and that in her opinion food combining is a falicy because most foods contain a mixture of the major food groups anyway. what do the members of this board think about this issue? is food combining necessary???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Re: is food combining really necessary?

It's like so much of the nutritional information floating around . . . who knows for sure? Hopefully, at some point in the future, some of these non-mainstream ideas will be considered seriously; and, more importantly, individual risk factors will be factored into some of these double blind evaluations. Personally, I find the idea helpful . . . BUT I have GI track issues. The interesting part is that, looking in retrospect, I did have signs when I was younger that I would have benefitted from food combining (for example, I NEVER liked fruit. Well, guess what? When the family had fruit, it was for dessert. So I would be burping up horrible tastes all night. And of course what do the food combinists say? Only eat fruit on an empty stomach.)

I think you've got it right though . . . if there are no GI track issues and you don't feel any benefit from food combining, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: is food combining really necessary?

ratboy,

There is merit in combining certain poor quality proteins to get a better mix of necessary amino acids (rice and beans for example.) Even that isn't necesarry in an affluent society where everyone gets HUGE amounts of high quality protein.

As far as the acid-base food combining, thats just poppycock to sell yet another pop diet/nutrition/health book. The acid in the stomach is so very very strong that any weak acids or bases ingested in the food are treated as neutral in comparison. Akin to shining a flashlight at the sun!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-11-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Closed Thread