HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obesity (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obesity/)
-   -   Throat closed up after diet pills.. please read my story (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obesity/159722-throat-closed-up-after-diet-pills-please-read-my-story.html)

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 07:10 AM

Re: Throat closed up after diet pills.. please read my story

Hi Dav...how are you? I too think Snow is a very level headed girl. I would think that EVEN if she did continue the pills. My post wasn't about others who are taking it and are successful. Whoever is taking it - please know that. My post was just an honest post and it was MY point of view. It doesn't mean I don't like people who take it. NOT AT ALL. I am proud of them too. But I applaud Snow's honesty in her experience.

It seems Spice thinks because I applaud Snow - I am against the pill or that I think it doesn't work. I am not working for any company to either be for or against Lipovarin. Personally, I couldn't care less about it. I came here wanting to lose weight and wanted to find out what worked. More importantly if it was safe. I think she not only misread my post a little BUT A LOT. I never ever meant the pills don't work. In fact, I SPECIFICALLY said they might work but who cares. The point is - and this is a FACT - MANY of these things work but there ARE delayed health issues because of them. How do I know this? I am no genius and far from perfect - but it's common sense. That and there are 3 doctors in my family - 2nd and 3rd cousins who live in Connecticut and Rhode Island and one in NY (my uncle - a distant one but still family). They all said the majority of these pills cause damage in the long run. I didn't care what they said - I wanted to try something. But with Snow's reaction - even if my reaction was different - I do think MORE OFTEN than not - there is something that goes wrong. No one is saying they don't work. But who cares if they work - if you area going to be ill eventually. You don't have to try something to know that it's not healthy for you. Clearly, any foreign medication in your system isn't always better. Sometimes we luck out and come out of it perfectly healthy - GREAT! But even one loss of life is tragic if you ask me. There is some logic involved in this thinking. OF course I'd LOVE to lose weight and lose it fast - I am just as desperate as the next person - but I am not willing to die for it. JUST MY OPINION...

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 07:23 AM

Spicey - I apologize if you thought I meant anything against you, I DID not. So I hope that is settled. But I don't think you even read my post at all. You just decided to be angry without even reading it. I specifically said perhaps WE READ IT WRONG. I also specfically said that the pills may in fact work. Maybe you should reread what I wrote? Your opinion is your opinion and mine is mine. Everyone is responsible for their own life. And it is my choice to support people in other ways then tell them that pills or ok. Fighting for the rights of a pill vs. the rights of a human - well you can guess who means more to me. If she decided the pills were good and she felt great, I'd still support her but if she continued to take the pill feeling sick all the time, I would encourage her to stop. That's what friends do and you know that's what you would do as well. You have a good heart - I didn't mean anything against you. But you seem SO into supporting this pill and it struck me and many others who emailed me as strange. It's just a pill - it doesn't need your support. I read Snow's post and I listened and responded supporting her actions. Before and after. Your posts seem like you are out to prove her reaction is just such a rare thing and it's not. And because of a post supporting these pills - someone out there may get really hurt. I am not saying tell everyone to not do it - I wouldn't do that either. But if someone says they got sick on it, the LAST thing I would do is tell others - well that's just her reaction - you should still try it or not judge it. Heck EVEN one person getting sick on it is enough for me to get scared. Wouldn't you be scared? Anyway, don't read too much into my thinking anything about you. You seem like a nice person. Let's all relax - I'll start first - ok? lol

csoar2004 03-25-2004 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=sspicey]csoar2004 , i just have a few questions on the ffp. where can i learn more about it and is there a book about it? any information would be a great help.[/QUOTE] Yah, there is a book: [I]The Fat Flush Plan [/I] by Ann Loiuse Gittleman. You can probably find a copy in your local library. ;) Might hafta go on a waiting list, though :eek: [quote=NikkisNYmom]The point is - and this is a FACT - MANY of these things work but there ARE delayed health issues because of them.[/quote] Boy howdy, do I second this notion! ;) I tried Xenedrine and it worked...but it also nearly fried my liver :eek: :nono: and for awhile I feared I would need surgery. :( Fortunately, by eating a diet that was liver supportive (the Fat Flush Plan) I not only lost 50 pounds in 5 months, but my liver is a happy camper and I don't need any surgical intervention. (happy dancin' over that, I tell you what!)
I think the bottom line to weight loss (oh oh, lookout! I'm about to get on my soapbox!) is [B]LIFESTYLE CHANGE![/B] Anyone who thinks they will lose weight and KEEP IT OFF by continuing (or returning to) the diet that made them fat in the first place is living in la la land (no, NOT Hollywood!). Here's something by John Maxwell:[quote]SIX STEPS TO CHANGING YOUR LIFE

1. Changing your THINKING
Changes your BELIEFS

2. Changing your BELIEFS
Changes your EXPECTATIONS

3. Changing your EXPECTATIONS
Changes your ATTITUDE

4. Changing your ATTITUDE
Changes your BEHAVIOR

5. Changing your BEHAVIOR
Changes your PERFORMANCE

6. Changing your PERFORMANCE
CHANGES YOUR LIFE[/quote] You control what goes in your mouth. [B]Own that control.[/B] Resolve to change what you put in your body (don't let food control YOU). Find a diet that you can live with and don't let occasional lapses throw you off course (it's human to be less than perfect). Ok, ok, I'm getting off m'soapbox now. (You don't hafta cheer so loud :D )

best wishes,
charli
highest wt: 233
203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life :bouncing: :bouncing:

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 07:59 AM

The Fat Flush Plan is a wonderful, healthy way of eating that 1) detoxes the liver (your major fat flushing organ), 2) balances blood sugar (to control cravings), and 3) gets rid of the whites (sugar, flour, rice, pasta, etc.) in addition to highly processed foods (cereals, box dinners, etc) in favor of fresh whole foods, whole grains, lots of water. The FFP was written by Ann Louise Gittleman, a nationally reknowned nutritionist. I highly recommend it!

best wishes,

charli
SW: 203
CW: 146 (lost 50 pounds in 5 months :D )
GW: 146, on the Fat Flush Plan for life and perky to the max![/QUOTE]

charlie - WOW congrats to you - how awesome and I want to congratulate you. You certainly are an inspiration. What exactly is this Fat flush thing? Is it healthy? Can you tell me or direct me to where they have info on it? Thanks :-)

csoar2004 03-25-2004 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=NikkisNYmom]charlie - WOW congrats to you - how awesome and I want to congratulate you. You certainly are an inspiration. What exactly is this Fat flush thing? Is it healthy? Can you tell me or direct me to where they have info on it? Thanks :-)[/QUOTE] :wave: ;) Thanks! The Fat Flush Plan, by Ann Louise Gittleman, is a wonderful, healthy way to eat. I highly recommend the book (check with your library or fave online book source). I'm sure if you google it, you will find more info. (would LOVE to give you a link, but this board only allows *** or gov links)
Oddly enough, I first discovered the FFP while standing in the grocery checkout line (YESSSSSSS! Magazine impulse buy pays off!!! LOL). Because my daughter had just announced her intention to wed in only 4 months, and that it would be an outdoor picnic kinda thing with everyone in sundresses :eek: :eek: :eek: I knew I hadda do SOMETHING before then. :rolleyes:
Anyhoo, the FFP not only helped me lose weight, but because it balances blood sugar AND hormones, most of my perimenopausal symptoms disappeared and now that I'm menopausal, I feel like a 20 year old. (well...at least my inner brat feels like a 20 year old. heh heh)
I've tried weight loss pills and other diets. The FFP is what ultimately worked for me. :D

best wishes,
charli
203/146/146 on Fat Flush Plan for life and perky to the max :D
ht: 5'8"
Down from size 18/2x to size 8. Can you hear me cheerin'? ;)

Snowbunnie 03-25-2004 08:45 AM

Nikkis thank you so much for your post. You really brightened up my day. I honestly thought these pills were going to be it and just by reading my posts i am sure you knew that. I did so many hours of researching and felt so confident. And even after taking them seeing the weight come off made me want to keep trying. But after day 3 i knew it wasnt worth it.. i couldnt be a mom and take care of my son in bed miserable and couldnt be a good wife etc.. the side effects for me were just too bad..
anyhow after this i wont take diet pills no matter how good they sound.. bc for me that one pill caused all the harm in the world.. just trying it.. and my health and life isnt worth that.. you are right i am glad it only took me 3 days to realize this and i am a lucky one...many will see the weight coming off and ignore the warning signs.. i did it for 3 days and couldnt go on anymore.. i wish u all the luck in the world.. please stay in touch.. btw have u ever heard of the nutri system plan?

Snowbunnie 03-25-2004 08:50 AM

Davitude.. no worries.. you have been very nice and helpful with all the information you have provided. Yes I believe that was it, Dr. Weil.
I am still not against pills as sspic. is making it sound like. After what happened i just feel as they arent for me. And like you DAv and everyone said they are all pretty much a like and a short term solution. Def not worth $80...
And thats so true,... i researched and put in so many posts about someone who knew anything at all about lipovarin.. dav u helped me figure out stuff but no one else seemed to know or respond anything except a very few people later on in my posts..
Dav thanks for writing and good luck to you. How is everything going with you?

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 09:11 AM

Hi Snow - it is you who I should thank. You helped me realize many things. I was supporting you taking the pill though I didn't post at first about it. I wanted to see you try it and it was because of you i would have gotten it. You seemed new it at and I thought we were both in the same situation. I am glad you are over it and healthy and this taught me a lesson before I tried it. You may have actually saved my life too. I don't know maybe one pill could have made me pass out while my little 2 and almost a half year old daughter is roaming around the house - something could have happened to her too.

I sure have heard of NutriSystem. It works - I know people who have lost a lot of weight on it. But they gained back. I think ALL these diets work if you stick to them. I really do believe that. There is no magic diet. If you stick to them they ALL work. 1girl I know lost hair on Jenny Craig but that may just be her. Though I have read about that somewhere with both NutriSystem and Jenny CRaig. Nutri...has been around ages and sort of not popular anymore. Not like it used to be. I think they do it on tv now or something. But I never tried it. They closed all the stores around me. Jenny Craig is more popular but even that is phasing out. There's the other thing that's REALLY taking over now - I forget it's on tv all the time. Where you go in 3 times a week - shoot I forget the name. There is another local place by me - it's called Stay Slim - they have SOME places in the US - maybe one near you. They are not that famous but I lost 20 lbs. last year in a month when I did it. I gave up afterwards it was winter and I couldn't walk to it anymore. It's 2 minutes from where I live but I have a baby and I had to work, etc. Their food is A MILLION times better than ANY of the NutriSystem or Jenny Craig. They are SO delicious in fact my husband and I get their ice creams and muffins and other foods. You can't even tell they are packaged stuff. I did Jenny 10 years ago the weight was coming off SO slowly and it was costing me a lot. I was so strict and lost a lb. a week and it was just crazy and starting to not taste good. I don't know how the food tastes now. But this Stay Slim is awesome if you can find it. I eat their food a lot.

The diets I have tried in my lifetime are Optifast which I lost 40 lbs. on when I was in my 20's. I did it one month and lost 40 lbs. I weighed 170 when I did that. I was very overweight but I was so young I thought I had it in control and ate and gained back. Then I did a natural diet of tuna and tomatoes and salads on my own and got down to 138. In my late 20's. Then I gained 60 lbs. in the past 5 years - I work from home and I have no activity like I used to. I don't eat more but I get so much less exercise than before I got married. I tried Jenny Craig as I said and Weight Watchers. I am just SO not the type to do WW. I have no desire whatsoever to be counting points, etc. I can't even remember to go to the bathroom with my schedule let alone weigh things and count points. That stuff discourages me. I need a set thing - packaged, etc.

I am now going to do the treadmill 3 to 4 days a week. I can't do more than 20 minutes maybe 30 max. I printed this 3 day diet thing - I might try it. Someone posted it on here so I printed it.

Anyway better go - hope to talk to you soon. Update me please and let's keep in touch. Maybe we can support each other. :-)

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 11:42 AM

WOW awesome congrats again. I just went on the website for it and it says you have to take vitamins and pills or whatever those bottles are full of. I still worry about that kind of thing. Hmmm but I want to lose weight so badly.

csoar2004 03-25-2004 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=NikkisNYmom]WOW awesome congrats again. I just went on the website for it and it says you have to take vitamins and pills or whatever those bottles are full of. I still worry about that kind of thing. Hmmm but I want to lose weight so badly.[/QUOTE] vitamins, yah, a multivitamin is a good idea no matter WHAT you eat. Other than that, the only strongly recommended supplement is GLA (an essential fatty acid that your body needs). Sure, liver supportive supplements are recommended, but I gotta tell you, as someone more stubborn than wise, I decided I would NOT buy any products OTHER than the key ones: Flax seed oil, unsweetened cranberry juice - both of which I purchase locally. For two months, I followed the FFP without doing any supplements and managed to lose about 30 pounds. These days, I wonder how much more and faster I WOULD have lost the weight had I followed the vitamin recommendations. :rolleyes:
All you truly need to follow FFP is the book, high lignan flax seed oil (full of wonderful omegas that we ALL need!), and unsweetened cranberry juice. Whether you take the recommended vitamins is your choice.

best wishes,
charli

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 01:02 PM

Hey again Charli - so the book just outlines how to eat and what to eat? Do they give you day by day menus at all? I love when something is planned out for me. Hmmmm. What is a typical day's menu (food). If you don't mind telling me.

Thanks

sspicey 03-25-2004 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=csoar2004]:wave: ;) Thanks! The Fat Flush Plan, by Ann Louise Gittleman, is a wonderful, healthy way to eat. I highly recommend the book (check with your library or fave online book source). I'm sure if you google it, you will find more info. (would LOVE to give you a link, but this board only allows *** or gov links)
Oddly enough, I first discovered the FFP while standing in the grocery checkout line (YESSSSSSS! Magazine impulse buy pays off!!! LOL). Because my daughter had just announced her intention to wed in only 4 months, and that it would be an outdoor picnic kinda thing with everyone in sundresses :eek: :eek: :eek: I knew I hadda do SOMETHING before then. :rolleyes:
Anyhoo, the FFP not only helped me lose weight, but because it balances blood sugar AND hormones, most of my perimenopausal symptoms disappeared and now that I'm menopausal, I feel like a 20 year old. (well...at least my inner brat feels like a 20 year old. heh heh)
I've tried weight loss pills and other diets. The FFP is what ultimately worked for me. :D

best wishes,
charli
203/146/146 on Fat Flush Plan for life and perky to the max :D
ht: 5'8"
Down from size 18/2x to size 8. Can you hear me cheerin'? ;)[/QUOTE]

HI CHARLIE, JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR THE INFO I DO HAVE A FEW OTHER QUESTIONS THOUGH. IS THE FFP RECIPES THAT YOU NEED TO FOLLOW OR PREPACKAGED FOODS? LET ME KNOW SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING I TAKE A VITAMINS EVERYDAY. I ALSO TAKE FLAX OIL .
CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS.:) I THINK YOU DID IT IN A VERY HEALTHY WAY SO CONGRADULATIONS TO YOU.

sspicey 03-25-2004 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=NikkisNYmom]Spicey - I apologize if you thought I meant anything against you, I DID not. So I hope that is settled. But I don't think you even read my post at all. You just decided to be angry without even reading it. I specifically said perhaps WE READ IT WRONG. I also specfically said that the pills may in fact work. Maybe you should reread what I wrote? Your opinion is your opinion and mine is mine. Everyone is responsible for their own life. And it is my choice to support people in other ways then tell them that pills or ok. Fighting for the rights of a pill vs. the rights of a human - well you can guess who means more to me. If she decided the pills were good and she felt great, I'd still support her but if she continued to take the pill feeling sick all the time, I would encourage her to stop. That's what friends do and you know that's what you would do as well. You have a good heart - I didn't mean anything against you. But you seem SO into supporting this pill and it struck me and many others who emailed me as strange. It's just a pill - it doesn't need your support. I read Snow's post and I listened and responded supporting her actions. Before and after. Your posts seem like you are out to prove her reaction is just such a rare thing and it's not. And because of a post supporting these pills - someone out there may get really hurt. I am not saying tell everyone to not do it - I wouldn't do that either. But if someone says they got sick on it, the LAST thing I would do is tell others - well that's just her reaction - you should still try it or not judge it. Heck EVEN one person getting sick on it is enough for me to get scared. Wouldn't you be scared? Anyway, don't read too much into my thinking anything about you. You seem like a nice person. Let's all relax - I'll start first - ok? lol[/QUOTE]

NikkisNYmom , I THINK YOU NEED TO REREAD MY POST I NEVER TOLD ANYONE GO OUT AND GET A BOTTLE OF LIPOVARIN. I DID READ YOUR POST NOT ONCE BUT TWICE. MY BASIC POINT WAS THAT NOT EVERYONE IS GONNA HAVE THE SAME REACTION. BUT I AM GLAD SNOWBUNNIE POSTED HER STORY IN CASE ANYONE SHOULD HAVE THE EFFECTS SHE HAD.
EVERYONES BODY IS DIFFERENT AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW THIS PILLS WORKS FOR YOU UNLESS YOU TRY IT. (AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING TO GO OUT AND GET THE BOTTLE) I AM SAYING IT MAY WORK AND IT MAY NOT.
OVER ALL I WOULD SUGGEST TOANYONE TO TRY TO LOOSE WEIGHT THE SAFE WAY WITH DIET AND EXERCISE ALONE. BUT THERE ARE SOME OF US THAT CAN USE A PILL ( NOT REFERRING TO LIPOVARIN) THAT HELP US N0T EAT AS MUCH. IF WE ALL ACTED LIKE YOU THEN NO ONE WOULD KNOW HOW ANY PILL WOULD REACT TOWARD US. IF YOU GO AND READ ALL THE POST ON LIPOVARIN THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE WHO HAVE POSTED THAT THE PILL IS WORKING FOR THAN THERE IS NOT ( AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING GO OUT AND PICK THE BOTTLE UP) BUT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU UNTIL YOU TRY IT. IF YOU ARE SCARED BEFORE HAND THEM THAT IS YOUR FEELINGS AND YOUR CHOICE NOT TO TAKE THEM.
EITHER WAY IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT ITS ALL COMMON SENSE IF WE WERE ALL SCARED BECAUSE OF THIS ONE STORY WE WOULD NEVER KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR US? MAKE SENSE? NOW TIME TO CHILL.... LOL

sspicey 03-25-2004 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=csoar2004]Yah, there is a book: [I]The Fat Flush Plan [/I] by Ann Loiuse Gittleman. You can probably find a copy in your local library. ;) Might hafta go on a waiting list, though :eek: Boy howdy, do I second this notion! ;) I tried Xenedrine and it worked...but it also nearly fried my liver :eek: :nono: and for awhile I feared I would need surgery. :( Fortunately, by eating a diet that was liver supportive (the Fat Flush Plan) I not only lost 50 pounds in 5 months, but my liver is a happy camper and I don't need any surgical intervention. (happy dancin' over that, I tell you what!)
I think the bottom line to weight loss (oh oh, lookout! I'm about to get on my soapbox!) is [B]LIFESTYLE CHANGE![/B] Anyone who thinks they will lose weight and KEEP IT OFF by continuing (or returning to) the diet that made them fat in the first place is living in la la land (no, NOT Hollywood!). Here's something by John Maxwell: You control what goes in your mouth. [B]Own that control.[/B] Resolve to change what you put in your body (don't let food control YOU). Find a diet that you can live with and don't let occasional lapses throw you off course (it's human to be less than perfect). Ok, ok, I'm getting off m'soapbox now. (You don't hafta cheer so loud :D )

best wishes,
charli
203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life :bouncing: :bouncing:[/QUOTE]

I COULNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE :) VERY NICE POINT TO MAKE. YOU MUST READ ALOT OF BOOKS. I HEARD THIS ONE AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE DONT LET THE FOOD CONTROL YOU , YOU CONTROL WHAT GOES IN YOUR MOUTH.
THIS IS VERY TRUE. ANYONE TRYING TO DITE AND LOOSE WEIGHT THIS IS SOMETHING TO HANG ON YOUR FRIDGE AND READ IT AS OFTEN AS YOU NEED TO. GOOD LUCK TO ALL TRYING TO LOOSE THE WEIGHT IF YOU LISTED TO YOUR HEART AND BE TRUE TO YOURSELF YOU WILL GET THERE THE FIRST THING IS FINDING SOMETHING THAT IS GONNA WORK LONG TERM FOR YOU. FFP SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. I HAVE TRIED JENNY CRAIG AND THE NURISYSTEM WHICH IS A VERY HEALTH WAY TO EAT BUT THE FOOD WASNT AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS. YOU ARE BETER OFF TO GO TO YOUR LOCAL STORE AND GET SMALL PREPACKAGED ENTREES WITH LOW CALORES AND LOW FAT. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US AND HOPE WE ALL POST MORE AND MORE ABOUT WHAT PROGRAM WE ARE ON AND WHAT REALLY WORKS.
BEST OF LUCK TO ALL.

NikkisNYmom 03-25-2004 01:48 PM

hi spicey ok cool - resolved :-)))))

I agree I don't know how tasty that NutriSystem will be. Jenny Craig was not that great either 10 years ago. I do know one place that is better than all of them - Stay Slim - but not many states have them and not many areas either. There is one by me and I think they only have a few locations in USA. But their food is DELICIOUS. I am not kidding you - it's nothing like the other places. I eat it all the time. Although I have to say nothing is like real food. But compared to other diet foods it's awesome.

Ok now I have to figure out if I should do South Beach or Fat Flush. I just don't want to read a book. I want to do the diet now - not after I read a book, I have no time to read a book.