It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board

• Supposed to lose 100 pounds...help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
    Christin

Christin HB User
    Supposed to lose 100 pounds...help!

I have no idea what to do! It sounds so simple...eat less, eat healthy, and exercise. Why do I have such a mental block about this? I am 28 years old. I have never been thin, but as a teenager I could at least get disgusted enough to start dieting/exercising for short periods. Now, I am convinced that I am unable to change. I eat horrible, mostly junk food, and tons of it. As disgusted as I am, I don't do anything to change. I am so embarrassed at how I look and how quickly I am gaining...40 pounds in 5 months. I wake up in the middle of the night and immediately inhale a package of pop tarts. When it's pizza for dinner...it's a whole pizza for me. And pints have replaced scoops of ice cream. I am completely out of control and I have some sort of mental block about changing. What is happening to me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
    blessed2bme

blessed2bme HB User
    Re: Supposed to lose 100 pounds...help!

Have you thought about seeing your docotor? They can recommend a safe diet for you and if need be a diet pill or in some cases, surgery is an option if nothing else works. Another thing to try is maybe counseling. Maybe you are eating to fill an emotional void.

The only thing that is keeping me on my workout plan is seeing pics of myself from my vacation this past month. That was a real eye-opener for me. Everyone is different though.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
    llamamuffinmama

llamamuffinmama HB User

I think letting yourself be convinced that you can't change is probably the #1 thing holding you back! This can be done and *you* _can_ do it.

I had 100 pounds to lose myself, and for years I wouldn't even confront the problem or think about it because it was too hard to handle emotionally. I was numbing myself/ self-medicating with food and avoiding addressing some of the other real issues in my life. And on the rare occasions when I did let myself think about my weight, I saw the amount I needed to lose as so overwhelming that I got totally discouraged and that only fuelled the cycle- I figured I was screwed and could never be "normal" anyway, so why bother- and I just ate more. (The pints of ice cream at a sitting you mentioned rang serious bells!) I usually didn't even think about why I was eating, whether I was even hungry or not, or if I did it for comfort or out of boredom or for energy or what. I just went into almost a trance-like state and indulged.

I'm reading a book right now called "When Food is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy" by Geneen Roth. It is really helpful to me in understanding in retrospect why I behaved as I did throughout my childhood and adolescence and into my early twenties. If you have a minute, I'd recommend swinging by the library and checking it out.

I know where you're at because I've been there. I ultimately lost the weight by going vegan and reducing the amount of fat in my diet. I slowly added a little exercise, but nothing really strenuous- just walking around campus, the occasional 1 or 2 mile walk before school... I was actually surprised how easy it was compared to how impossible I thought it would be! I totally recommend going vegan. I am SO much healthier now, have a ton more energy, and just feel wonderful. My cholesterol is down from around 280 to 106, I can do things I thought I never would, and I am at a "normal" weight for my height and age for the first time since... well maybe ever! I still love food - in fact I enjoy it now more than ever and am starting a vegan catering company - but it isn't a weapon I use against myself anymore, but a source of nourishment. It isn't something I use to blur realities I don't want to see anymore, but something I experience consciously.

I'm mentioning my success to show you that it is completely within your power to do this for yourself. You just have to want it enough and you have to be patient. That last one's killer, but it is really important. It took me a few years to lose it all. I lost most of it in the first year and some change. Instead of concentrating on the numbers and obsessing about how much more I had to go, I set short term goals so I didn't get impatient. For example, at 235 pounds, I was working to get to 225 -NOT worrying about getting to my ideal weight of around 155. When I got to 225, I felt great about myself. I gave myself a pat on the back and set a new goal 10 pounds down. Focus on your accomplishments, remember no one is perfect and some times will be harder than others, but if you hit a rough patch, that is no reason to quit!

Good luck! You can do this!!
    Keep us posted.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
    Christin

Christin HB User

Thanks. I don't know about going vegan...as much food as I consume, I am actually a very picky eater. I hate most healthy food! I won't eat any seafood, and the only vegetables I like are the ones that are least healthy, like canned green beans and corn. I am definitely a carb junkie, I can't imagine doing the Atkins thing as protein is a very small percentage of what I eat. I find it difficult to focus on small achievments, I think the way my husband is has something to do with that. He is a creature of extremes. When he is not dieting, he eats whatever he wants and gets lazy. But when he has had enough, he goes on almost a starvation diet and exercises constantly and just gets the weight off. I have never been able to do that. And honestly, I just LOVE my favorite foods SO much...a very unhealthy obsession with it. The only thing I seem to get any enjoyment from is eating these days. I've tried every pill, the only ones that work are the "speed" types like adipex, but they don't work for very long and so I start taking more and more to get the same effect...it becomes a drug abuse issue for me. I've had physicals and there is nothing wrong with me, just weak willed. I know I use to have SOME will power, I just don't understand where it went. My self loathing voice tells me to stop whining and JUST DO IT. It can't be as bad as I am telling myself that it would be to change my diet and get a little exercise, right? I must WANT to be fat, because it is solely by my choice that I am. And then the "Oh, pity me" voice comes up with all the excuses and whining, and that voice is louder I guess. I guess I am hoping that just getting all this crap out of my head and onto this screen will help me figure things out. Anyway, thanks for listening!

Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

I had a 100 pounds to lose too but now I have 80 pounds, just lost 20. did it very slowly, the body controlled way, in other words I let my appetite and cravings be my guide, I started to eat a substantial breakfast and I stop fearing food and I let my body decide when fat became maladaptive, by eating enough consistently, trying to keep junky foods to a minimum, filling up on real foods etc.

I ate when I got a food thought, I ate when food appealed and I ate when I was just plain hungry. I ate until I lost interest in the food. I ate and ate and ate until diet boredom set in, until I became a picky eater because very little appealed to me.

I ate junk foods until it came out of my ears and I developed an aversion, the experts are wrong you don't lose your desire for something by avoiding it, but rather by saturating your self with it. until your body says ENOUGH!!! (usually when the setpoint is reached and fat production stops)

and my cravings eventually changed to metabolism boosting foods like whole grains leaner dairy meats, vegies, fruits etc. you get the picture, fattier foods lost their appeal. all because I trust my body to tell me when how much and what to eat.

you see it turns out our bodies know better than the "experts" what it needs and how much fat it needs, and once you eat to keep from forcing the body to use it's fat stores, fat becomes maladaptive or harmful to survival and it turns out the body makes the needed adjustments on getting rid of it, poof you lose weight and keep your muscles.

all without food worries and worrying about gaining it back and having to fight food cravings or force yourself to stay within a caloiric maximum, your body can do that for you via appetite and cravings so you can have a life.

we are not meant to regulate our weights and food intake, that is the body's job, if we would just let it and stop following advice of experts touting you have to eat less to lose weight and maintain a low caloire diet (such as 1600 a day) to maintain.

we would cure obesity. and don't worry if you eat due to emotions, thin people eat from emotions too since they have emotions to, and besides technically emotional overeating doesn't exist. the normal response to stress whether depression, fatigue, fear is appetite suppression not it's increase, only hungry bodies find stress relief from eating during stress as hunger is one stress the body can do something about and it a perfect oppertunity to get you to eat when your willpower is low.

don't want to say being very fatty is healthy, like fat acceptance groups do but what I do say there is a better more permenent way then the traditional you have to control your caloires to lose and maintain way.
    RR

Last edited by dreamer89; 08-01-2004 at 02:04 PM.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
    Christin

Christin HB User

Thanks RR...that sounds wonderful, to be able to trust my body to tell me what I need. But how do I get to that point? Like right now, my body is telling me that I need a giant cheeseburger and a bucket-full of french fries, and later I'll bet that it will tell me to eat an entire pan of brownies. I am pretty certain that my body does NOT need any of that...how do I make myself WANT to eat healthy foods that I have no taste for?

Old 08-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

I'm sorry, but I disagree.

If I let my body dive into everything it wanted any TIME it wanted, I'd weight 300 pounds.

YOU have to take control.

Period.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

An added note: you don't have to eat nothing but healthy foods in order to lose weight. Healthy foods help, yes. But the deal is calories. I don't care what anyone says, you have to watch your calories and know how many you're eating.

You could eat 1000 calories worth of fried chicken or 1000 calories worth of broccoli. It's still 1000 calories.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

I agree with LV40.

Christin, My advice to you is simple. You need to find some motivation that will propel you to change your lifestyle. Without the motivation you will not be successful. If you continue the love affair with your junk food, depriving your body of protein, and eating canned vegetables, etc etc etc, then you must not need to lose 100 lbs. What made you post this thread here on this board? Something led you here. Who told you you had to lose 100 lbs? Something tells me you did not conclude this on your own. Please do not misunderstand my questions. I don't claim to know everything, but I can assure of one thing... if you don't have the motivation to make a change, you will not make a change.

You already indicated that you are struggling to understand your thoughts surrounding your weight and your next steps. It MUST start with motivation. I recommend that you start by documenting the reasons you want to lose weight. It may seem silly, but write them down. Your list should be divided into two distinct categories - 1. Things you want for yourself that cannot have now because of your weight. This may include feeling healthy, vanity, clothes, friends, good sex, whatever... 2. Things you want to avoid that are inevitable if you do not make a change. Often this list will include specific diseases or health warnings you have been made aware of, but can include other things too.

Once you tackle the motivation factor, there is plenty of advice and systematic approaches to losing weight in a sensible healthy manner. I would be more than willing to help you with this, but it makes absolutely no sense to even look at approaches to diet until you are at the committment stage of the process.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
    happyface25

happyface25 HB User

i noticed that you would eat junk food but in large numbers, "lots of fried chicken, whole box of pop tarts, pints of ice cream", i use to do this too but instead i do this....

i eat those same foods but only a small portion of it! lol, i taste every bit of it to savor it and i take my time eating it, but i take a very small portions of it, not a big plate full of it, and i also try to not eat those things at night!! i know how hard it is to not eat at nighttime but i try to control myself and say NO. I say this to myself..

'''''I want to lose this weight and if i have to suffer by not eating what i want and not eating alot of it then so be it, i want this weight to come off, i want to be a new person, i want to be healthy and active, i want energy and power to do what i can do 100 pounds thinner then what i cannot do now! i want to lose weight!!''''''

i was going on and off on my diet since Jan of this year and about a week ago i have become to be serious on my diet, i am also taking some weight loss pills and excersing more and also just trying to be more positive and happier about my life, ive lost 10 pouds and have 95 more to go but im very happy with the progress and you will be too! just be positive and you can make it, also drink lots and lots of water, water is so filling and so refreshing, you wont go wrong!

Old 08-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
    Christin

Christin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    I agree with LV40.

Christin, My advice to you is simple. You need to find some motivation that will propel you to change your lifestyle. Without the motivation you will not be successful. If you continue the love affair with your junk food, depriving your body of protein, and eating canned vegetables, etc etc etc, then you must not need to lose 100 lbs. What made you post this thread here on this board? Something led you here. Who told you you had to lose 100 lbs? Something tells me you did not conclude this on your own. Please do not misunderstand my questions. I don't claim to know everything, but I can assure of one thing... if you don't have the motivation to make a change, you will not make a change.

You already indicated that you are struggling to understand your thoughts surrounding your weight and your next steps. It MUST start with motivation. I recommend that you start by documenting the reasons you want to lose weight. It may seem silly, but write them down. Your list should be divided into two distinct categories - 1. Things you want for yourself that cannot have now because of your weight. This may include feeling healthy, vanity, clothes, friends, good sex, whatever... 2. Things you want to avoid that are inevitable if you do not make a change. Often this list will include specific diseases or health warnings you have been made aware of, but can include other things too.

Once you tackle the motivation factor, there is plenty of advice and systematic approaches to losing weight in a sensible healthy manner. I would be more than willing to help you with this, but it makes absolutely no sense to even look at approaches to diet until you are at the committment stage of the process.
    I know you are right. I guess I am frustrated because my list of reasons to lose weight used to be enough to at LEAST make SOME attempt at changing my diet and increasing my activity...and even though the reasons are still the same, I am not feeling motivated to the point of action. I really don't want to end up with heart trouble or in a diabetic coma in order to shake myself back to sanity, but short of that, I feel like I am in an unshakable pity party. I am starting to think about making small changes, things I know I can accomplish, and maybe that will lead to the lifestyle change I need. For instance, I could start right now by making a committment to stop eating chocolate. If I tell myself I can have anything else I want, I think I can give up chocolate. Once I have gotten over the loss of the chocolate, then I could make another small change, and on and on. What do you think?

Old 08-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #12
    tallgirl
    (female)

tallgirl HB User

i was just like you guys i have no will power!! but for some reason it has changed!! i went to a friends house where there was skinny girls and hot guys and i was told that a was pretty by a hottie and stuff and i hadnt ate in 24 hours and wasnt hungary and i came back and i was able to control when i ate and how much i ate and when i wanted to eat.. i can go for a long time now without eating.... i dont know what happend but i am motivated!! i do pilates and i dont eat any more that 1200- 1300 calories... i am only 35 pounds over weight and i carry my weight very well because i am so tall... all i have to do is get rid of this fat on my tummy and slim down the insides of my thighs and i am there!!

if i can get motivated so can you!!

good luck!!

Old 08-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #13
    Christin

Christin HB User

Cool...I checked out that website. Thanks for all your support...I had some chocolate cake left over from yesterday, couldn't let that go to waste But now, no more chocolate. I'm hoping that after a week or so I will be over the loss and my next goal is to start drinking water. That has always been a tough one for me, I am addicted to Diet Sunkist and I really hate water. But I am going to try!

Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #14
    LV40
    Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Making an effort is the important first step

My hardest thing to give up is peanuts. I love in-shell peanuts and while they're not the WORST thing in the world I could eat, they still pack on some calories and once I start cracking those things, I can't stop. Before I know it, my shell bowl is completely full, lol.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #15
    aktee

aktee HB User

I have to agree with the person that said 'take small steps'. In my experience if I decide to go on a diet I dread and dread the day it begins. I basically set myself up to be disappointed that I can't have a dang chocolate chip cookie until the 20 pounds come off! I have found it so much easier to focus on small victories. After I had my daughter I tried weight watchers. If I took nothing else from it I thought their idea of the 10% difference was cool. Only focus on losing 10% of your goal at a time. Then you have these small goals that will end up getting you to your BIG goal. I have tried all sorts of eating plans, I am a carb lover and I love junk food too. I just had to start trying new things, new ways to eat vegetables to get them into the way I eat. If you tell yourself you have to give something up for good it makes you want it all the more. FINALLY I found something that got me active which in turn made me evaluate how I eat. I joined a women only workout facility. (Not sure I can say the name on here but I'm sure you've heard of it. 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week, who can pass that up?) I can't tell you how wonderful it is to go in there and have people in there with the same struggles as me, all shapes, all sizes, all walks of life. The exercise is not boring, you don't feel like you're going to die when you're done and actually you get addicted after a while. You get weighed and measured once a month and you get to see that anything is possible. If you gain some it's not a road block, it's just a speed bump. Everyone has those. Tell yourself that you CAN do it and don't let anyone let you feel otherwise. I know how it feels to think it's hopeless but the only way to fail is not to try.
    Sorry, I'm rambling here, I just felt so compelled to jump in here with all of these nice people and give you a boost! Good luck!
    Tee

Closed Thread