It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board

Simply miserable.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
backpaindiana
(female)

backpaindiana HB User
Unhappy Simply miserable.

Hey everyone! This is my first post. Let's see...I am a 22 years old female. I am 5'4 and I weigh about 375 lbs. I am writing this post to share my story and some of the frustrations I am facing in hopes of getting some advice.

I am not sure where to begin...I am just so miserable and frustrated all of the time due to my weight. I have been overweight for the majority of my life, but the last couple of years it has gotten a lot worse.

Let's just say that I have a very low self esteem and I do not like myself...I mean I know I am a good person, but my weight literally affects EVERYTHING in my life. I seem to not be able to do much of anything...I am always achy, I have no sex drive, overeat, and I am not sure where to find motivation to lose weight because I get so discouraged and depressed.

I am not able to do a lot of things because I also have chronic back pain...I can stand for about 5 minutes at a tome before having to sit down because my back pain is unbearable...thus, I do not have a job.

I am just so irritated and I am not sure what to do...I did not have a normal childhood growing up because of my weight...I want to be able to live my life and be the person I want to be. I am only 22, I should not feel like I am 80.

Thanks for listening to me and any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
sjb
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Simply miserable.

HI I suspect being overweight makes some people depressed. The fact that a person wants to be happier could be a motivating factor in losing weight.

I would try smaller portion sizes say no more than 2 cups food per meal total. To be a skinny cook I would listen to a skinny cook. Almost no fats or sugars. I would use fruit and maybe small amounts of nuts instead. I would not eat even so much as the smallest particle of food in between meals. If hungry in between I would use water. To avoid hunger in-between meals I would also use a little bit of whole grain food such as bread with a low fat spread with each meal. A person could avoid meats, and cheeses. Even dairy and eggs have recently been said to be sometimes harboring bacteria that is not destroyed by extreme heat or refrigeration. The way they are used also sometimes contributes to weight with extra calories. I would tell tell myself, I want to feel better and happier I am not going to eat that or buy that. One doctor said, when tempted to get a snack or dessert don't even look at it, look away. Another statement was when tempted by someone else just look at them straight in the eye smile and say, no thank-you.

Hope this helps!

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
2tees (04-28-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
sjb
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi There are some nice vegetarian recipes that can help make these more palatable.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
jonnstar
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I'd go to my doctor and ask for a trial of an appetite suppresant such as phentermine.
I'd take this in cycles of 4 weeks on/1 week off so that it didnt lose effectiveness

I'd start eating a 1200kcal per day diet, concentrating on lean protein, vefetables and moderate amounts of whole grains - The Zone or the South Beach diet are diets of this type.

I'd start to excersise - walk for 5 minutes a day the first week, then 10 minutes a day the second week, and 15 minutes a day the third week, until you are walking for 1 hour a day.

I'd start taking a dose of Citrucel 10 minutes before each meal to add bulk to the food I eat and help me feel fuller for longer.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
StephMA
(female)

StephMA HB User

First thing you need to do is see a doctor for a physical. Even little issues can cause weight problems. Have your thyroid checked. Have your blood sugar checked ... out of control blood sugar can cause intense food cravings and thirst. If you quench that thirst with juice or soda, it just sets up a vicious cycle of sugar high/sugar crash/cravings or thirst.

Once you have your doc's ok, then look into starting some sort of weight loss program that has a built-in support system --- like WW, even if you only join on-line rather than got to meetings. And exercise is important. Buy a video. Even if your back hurts and you can't do it ... sit in a chair and do the arm movements. Any movement is better than none.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
2tees
(female)

2tees HB User

First of all, I am so sorry you have suffered so much in your life. I agree with some of the other posters here. Your weight issues might not only be your eating habits. It took over 15 yrs for my doctor to figure out my rapid weight gain was coming from a thyroid issue. I went to many doctors and all made suggestions about my eating habits and exercise. Even when I would diet I would end up the same if not worse. Absolutely nothing worked for me and I have tried it all.
If it was not for a feminine issue I was having I probably would have never been diagnosed with this problem.
With that being said, please seek help. And in the mean time, cut 1 thing out of your diet each day. Even that will bring huge results.

The following user gives a hug of support to 2tees:
sjb (04-28-2011)
Closed Thread