It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board

Very curious

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thyroid Trouble
Posts: 359
azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User
Very curious

My neighbor recently told me that she lost 60 pounds over a period of approx. 6 months. When I asked if she started an exercise program , she said no she wasn't exercising. She said she just did it with diet.

Does anyone here think this could possibly be true that simply by diet alone she could have lost 60 pounds over 6 months?

I had not known that people could lose a lot of weight over such a short period without any exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 44
Blog Entries: 1
scarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB User
Re: Very curious

Well i would agree that ten pounds a month is alot with only dieting, she must be on some sort of cleanse liquid diet to obtain such good results with no exercise. But if you really want the details on her diet she is your neighbor so feel free to ask. It is possible though just very difficult with strict strict strict dieting i cannot emphasize how strict the diet program would have to be but it isn't impossible. good luck

Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Marathon, WI United States
Posts: 19
eric909 HB User
Re: Very curious

I agree that having a good diet can help in losing weight but it would only be in a slow process, diet with exercise is the best way in losing weight, we can somehow say it would be faster and more effective. Have you asked what kind of diet your neighbor followed? Is fasting considered in the diet?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 50
WhatWasIThinkin HB User
Re: Very curious

If she was doing the south beach diet phase 1 then I believe it!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Rach110913 HB User
Re: Very curious

It's absolutely possible to lose 60 pounds in 6 months with diet alone. In my opinion, diet is 90% of weight loss, the other 10% being exercise. If she had exercised she would have lost even more weight. 60 pounds in 6 months is 10 pounds a month, which is 2.5 pounds a week. While that is a good amount, it can be done. Also, it really depends how much your neighbor weighed before. People who have a lot more to lose can lose weight much more quickly than those who have less to lose. I personally have lost 40 pounds in 3 months on the low carb diet. So while it takes discipline, it can be done!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thyroid Trouble
Posts: 359
azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User
Re: Very curious

Perhaps it would be possible to lose weight on change in diet alone, but for a 62-63 yr. old woman to do that much weight loss in such a short time had me very suspicious. That is why I started this thread. I should have put her age in the first post as well.

My thoughts at that time were either pharmaceutical or surgical assistance.

Over time as I have thought about her curious weight loss, I recalled how highly agitated she seemed in communications during that weight loss period. Also she spoke non-stop.

I have subsequently read about the adderall epidemic and how some people abuse that drug for weight loss. Given how highly agitated and talkative she was the last few times I spoke with her, I am thinking that it could be adderall or some other stimulant that allowed her to lose that large amount of weight and keep it off.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!