It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board

• I just want my mom to live

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
    NadiaHope
    (female)

NadiaHope HB User
    I just want my mom to live

My mom has been obese/morbidly obese my whole life. She is single and disabled. She weighs over 400 pounds, is 42 and can barely stand for more than 5 minutes. She has diabetes, high blood pressure, one not so great kidney, heart problems and many other health problems. I've grown up being told that doctors said she wasn't going to live long. It is a miracle that she is still alive today but I know that at any moment her body is going to give out. Her diet mostly consists of salty buttery popcorn, soda, some water, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, big portions of fast food and sometimes some fruit and vegetables. She often has 4-5 sodas a day and 2 bags of popcorn and she is stubborn and refuses to cut those out. She has told me though that she will try to cut back a bit and eat healthier but unless if my siblings and I stay on her about it, she eats whatever she wants without much care about her health. Itís like she says sheís going to make more effort, but then a couple of days later forgets or changes her mind and gives up. My siblings have a habit of making ugly comments or sometimes even yelling at her about what she eats which I donít approve of but sometimes works, but usually makes her very angry. We love her so much and are just tired of watching her kill herself but we donít know what we can do to truly help her lose weights. Doctorís and family members have told her to eat healthier and exercise for years and she barely listens but I refuse to give up on her like so many others have. Me and my 2 younger teenage siblings, who are the ones who have had to witness the pain and struggle she goes through for most of our lives are probably the only people who havenít given up on her. She doesn't think that diet alone could make her lose much weight and she doesn't think that she has it in her to exercise. Her legs and feet are black and blue and I don't know if they can be cured. Money has always been hard for my family and we mainly live on public assistance. My brother got a job and I recently just got a job so that I could help support her but I canít think of much meals that are not too expensive that she can eat and will eat. She has told us hundreds of times throughout our life that she only lives for us. I believe that she would be willing to try to lose weight for her kids with enough motivation, but I know there is only so much she would be willing to do.
    What kind of diet and exercise would you all recommend I try to encourage my mom to try? I canít convince her to completely cut out all unhealthy food and itís hard to find meals that she can eat that are healthy and not too expensive. There is no telling how much longer she can live the way her health is, so is there any way that she might be able to lose a good amount of weight within maybe months? At least enough to reduce her chance of dying. This is the most stressful thing in my life right now. I just desperately want her to live. I thank everyone who is taking the time to read this and appreciate all comments and advice. All responses, no matter how little will mean a lot to me. Thank you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: I just want my mom to live

Thank you for caring enough about your mother to ask for help. People in her condition need intensive help to lose the weight. There is not an easy answer. She truly needs professional assistance. I would try to talk to her social worker and see if there is a program for her. You should also check to see if there is a local Council on Aging or the like in your area. Also, check with your nearest Weight Watchers program and tell
    them the situation. They may be able to offer assistance.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
    odrivn
    (female)

odrivn HB User

I am currently doing a cleanse and diet program which is easy to follow.

Last edited by mod85; 07-14-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
    davitude
    (male)

davitude HB User

Nadia,

I really feel for you. It is obvious from your post that your mother has an addiction that she doesn't have the will to fight. Have you checked to see if there's an Overeaters Anonymous in your area? You may not have considered it since you aren't the one overeating, but I bet they will be able to help you understand what's going on and ways to cope...and just maybe you will be able to help your mother as well.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
    jenniferballetf
    (female)

jenniferballetf HB User

alive today but I know that at any moment her body is going to give out. Her diet mostly consists of salty buttery popcorn, soda, some water, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, big portions of fast food and sometimes some fruit and vegetables. She often has 4-5 sodas a day and 2 bags of popcorn and she is stubborn and refuses to cut those out. She has told me though that she will try to cut back a bit and eat healthier but unless if my siblings and I stay on her about it, she eats whatever she wants without much care about her health. Itís like she says sheís going to make more effort, but then a couple of days later forgets or changes her mind and gives up. My siblings have a habit of making ugly comments or sometimes even yelling at her about what she eats which I donít approve of but sometimes works, but usually makes her very angry. We love her so much and are just tired of watching her kill herself but we donít know what we can do to truly help her lose weights. Doctorís and family members have told her to eat healthier and exercise for years and she barely listens but I refuse to give up on her like so many others have. Me and my 2 younger teenage siblings, who are the ones who have had to witness the pain and struggle she goes through for most of our lives are probably the only people who havenít given up on her. She doesn't think that diet alone could make her lose much weight and she doesn't think that she has it in her to exercise. Her legs and feet are black and blue and I don't know if they can be cured. Money has always been hard for my family and we mainly live on public assistance. My brother got a job and I recently just got a job so that I could help support her but I canít think of much meals that are not too expensive that she can eat and will eat. She has told us hundreds of times throughout our life that she only lives for us. I believe that she would be willing to try to lose weight for her kids with enough motivation, but I know there is only so much she would be willing to do.
    What kind of diet and exercise would you all recommend I try to encourage my mom to try? I canít convince her to completely cut out all unhealthy food and itís hard to find meals that she can eat that are healthy and not too expensive. There is no telling how much longer she can live the way her health is, so is there any way that she might be able to lose a good amount of weight within maybe months? At least enough to reduce her chance of dying. This is the most stressful thing in my life right now. I just desperately want her to live. I thank everyone who is taking the time to read this and appreciate all comments and advice. All responses, no matter how little will mean a lot to me. Thank you all.[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread