It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board

• Girlfriend's weight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
    CalvinC
    (male)

CalvinC HB User
    Girlfriend's weight

I am very concerned about my girlfriend's weight. She is 21 years old, 5'5" and 249lbs. She has gained almost 60lbs in the last two years. I also know for a fact that she was less than 140lbs when she was sixteen and this gaining seems to be way out of control. I am very worried because she seems so tired, she is out of shape, avoid stairs - if we have to use the stairs she is always out of breath. As I write, I am very worried, but I don't know what to do, or how this weight will affect her. I've never been overweight myself, but always heard about how difficult and harmful it is. Given her recent weight gain, what is the risk factors for her? If she goes to her doctor, will the doctor mention her weight? Because most 21 year old girls wouldn't get out of breath by just walking some stairs, right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: Girlfriend's weight

I'm sure the doctor will notice and mention it, your girlfriend might even bring it up. She should ask for some blood tests. It's possible her thyroid could be the culprit. Be supportive and tell her you're worried about her health, not her appearance.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
    engineer1961
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Is she on any medication that could have weight gain as a side effect?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
    CalvinC
    (male)

CalvinC HB User

I don't know if she'll bring it up, she hates to talk about it, and she rarely does. But I sort of hope the doctor will say something, so maybe she realizes there is something wrong.
    As I wrote, she was less than 140lbs when she was 16, she moved out from her parents and this is when she started to gain. I met her when she was 19, she was plump and gorgeous, but her weight has grown more and more in the last few years. It is certainly true it's not her apperance, but her health that I am worried about.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
    CalvinC
    (male)

CalvinC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by engineer1961 View Post
    Is she on any medication that could have weight gain as a side effect?
    No medication.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
    engineer1961
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Does she appear depressed..that could cause the weight gain to. Though some people just gain weight when they get happy too...Does she seen concerned about it?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
    CalvinC
    (male)

CalvinC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by engineer1961 View Post
    Does she appear depressed..that could cause the weight gain to. Though some people just gain weight when they get happy too...Does she seen concerned about it?
    She seems rather happy and outgoing. Some times she is talking about her weight, and especially the gain, on how much she put on over the last few years and that she is eating more than she should. But that's rarely. Like I wrote, she didn't like the photos from our summer vacation, though she had no trouble walking around in a bikini.
    She hasn't been to the doctor in two years, and she's thinking about going because of some back problems. I encourage her to go, because a quick look in her journal will show a 60lbs gain since her last visit, and this must be a concern.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
    ichon
    (female)

ichon HB User

As mentioned above, I think its a good idea to take her to the doctors and evaluate for hypothyroidism, a condition that can cause significant weight gain & increased fatigue. Assuming that she wasnt undergoing other issues.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

No medication as in no birth control either? Birth control pills can make you gain weight. Just a thought.

Encourage her to go to the doctor and have her blood panels run. Offer to go with her if she is nervous. Make sure she knows you are concerned about her HEALTH, not her looks, which it sounds like you have been trying to do. I think you are pretty cool to come on here and look for help for her. **hug** She may be depressed-she moved out of her home pretty young-maybe there are some reasons for that? Could you get her into any therapy for that?
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
    Jumpingbeans
    (female)

Jumpingbeans HB User

You also asked about what's her risk. Obesity is a risk factor for diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease (just to name a few of a lot of diseases it causes). But the good news is, it takes quite some time before that risk becomes a reality, so if she loses the weight slowly in the coming 5 years and keeps it off, her risk of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease would go back to more or less to the same point as if she had never had the weight gain. Short term risk for a serious disease or even for 21 year old is very low (even if they have hypertension and are obese). But you are definitely right for being concerned.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
    7ember
    (female)

7ember HB User

If this is just a lifestyle issue, there is not much you can do. It's up to her to change her eating habits and exercise regularly. You can set an example by eating healthy yourself. Try to get her to do physical activities with you and make better choices for meals you have together.

One thing you can be sure of is that she is acutely aware that she is obese.

Does she have any symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?

Closed Thread