It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board

• Muscle atrophy in obese people after extended bed rest

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
    hatten
    (male)

hatten HB User
    Muscle atrophy in obese people after extended bed rest

Hi there

I'm 31 years old, 6'2" tall and weigh 23 stone. I've been obese and have been for about 10 years. A few years ago I contracted a viscious virus which made me seriously ill for almost six months. Ever since then, after always living an active life with lots of swimming and working, I've been stuck in Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, also called Chronic Fatigue Syndome, also called ME.

There have been so many weird symptoms although most of them have cleared up over the last two years. I'm left in a situation though where I can't sit up properly. Whenever I sit or stand before long I start to get pain and fatigue in my abdominal muscles, particuarly at the sides around the level of my belly button. This pain, once established, can last for hours or days, depending on how hard I forced my body to stay sitting/standing. Prolonged pushing starts to yield pain in my spine which is not easy to get over either.

I use Tramadol to manage the pain but that is only so helpful and not something I can do forever. I can't find anything online about obese people getting problems holding up their body weight but, I am thinking, after nearly 3 years of bed rest I must have muscle astrophy in my abdominal weght bearing muscles or somethig like that. I have had some life in the past few years, but I'm always counting the hours until I can lie down again and can only push for a short time before the pain becomes overwhelming.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I am trying to think of a solution but like I said haven't been able to find any writing about these kind of symltoms to help me. Any thoughts, suggestions or theories out there?

My current strategy is to stop forcing myself to sit up for part time work and instead do daily swimming to strengthen myself as much as possible avoiding sitting in the office which is so painful.

Cheers
    Hatten

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
    rebecca70
    (female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User
    Re: Muscle atrophy in obese people after extended bed rest

Hi, sorry to see this problem.Maybe you cpuld consider a personal trainer or physical therapist who would come to work with you at home to strengthen the muscles and get you functional again. Perhaps your health insurance would cover as it sounds like it's medically necessary.

Closed Thread

Tags
    chronic fatigue syndrome, muscle, muscle atrophy, obesity