It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Diagnosis and Relationships

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
    QuietlyAnxious

QuietlyAnxious HB User
    Diagnosis and Relationships

I'm new to these boards, but not new to the concepts. I've found myself struggling with obsessive compulsive tendencies for years now, with excessive amounts of hand sanitizer and organization to a t. I've never been diagnosed, however, and I was wondering if anyone could let me know how to go about that? Do I talk to my regular doctor or find a therapist? I'm in college and have access some psychological resources on-campus as well. It's never been particularly difficult to handle on my own, but recently it has gotten worse and I don't think I can handle the constant anxiety anymore. I have self-harm and depressive tendencies as well, however these are under control at the moment.

In regards to relationships, I've been seeing a guy for six months now. I love him, but he doesn't seem to understand the OCD habits I have. He complains that I'm too girly because I don't like getting my hands dirty and such. He cares a lot about me, and he has been urging me to get help because he knows about the self-harm tendencies, but does anyone have any advice as to how to get across to him what I'm dealing with? I just don't think he quite understands it.

Thank you so much in advance!

The following user gives a hug of support to QuietlyAnxious:
    movielover40 (06-30-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
    BadMalibu
    Veteran
    (male)

BadMalibu HB UserBadMalibu HB UserBadMalibu HB UserBadMalibu HB User
    Re: Diagnosis and Relationships

Hi Quiet-

You know one of the best things you can do to support yourself is talk to other people that have anxiety and OCD because we of all people really understand how you feel. I can tell youíre a little frustrated because you feel that your boyfriend doesnít understand what youíre going through. Unfortunately in all reality most likely he doesnít understand and you know what? Thatís completely ok. Itís really hard for those of us with anxiety/ocd to describe how it feels to have anxiety and ocd to a significant other, and my finance doesnít understand either so Iím kindaí in the same boat as you. She has a hard time grasping what I go through no matter what terms, explanations, and examples I use to try to explain it to my fiancť. To answer your question I donít think there is any good way to try to explain it to your boyfriend, nor is there really any good way to get him to understand. Iím sure in some capacity he understands, but in order to truly understand anything you have to experience it for yourself (which btw I wouldnít wish on my worst enemy). All you can do is take care of you and if you choose to talk to your boyfriend about what youíre going through thatís ok. Maybe he does understand but just not to the level of someone who actually has anxiety/ocd.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, diagnose, ocd, relationship