It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Need to express rhythm?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
    Nickel4320
    (male)

Nickel4320 HB User
    Need to express rhythm?

Sooo, i've had a few little things going in my head for a while and figured i'd see if anyone can shed any light on them etc, might be a bit rambly so apologies, firstly, and the one that i can remember doing longer ago than the other:

letter switching thingy thing:

i sort of switch out letters in words as i hear them in a way, but the letters are said in their capital form and most letters have their sort of partner, B and D, O and U, I and Y, etc, with a few exceptions like T or Q which i ignore, so a word that i like for instance would be "arch" basically break it down into it's sounds, it becomes "ay" "ar" "see" "aych", but those sounds can be broken down further into 2 parts each, an "e" sound and a "y" sound for the "ay", "u" and "r" for the "ar","s" and "ee" for the "see", and "ey" and "ch" for the "aych". and then in a way which i can't really find a way to put into words i make combinations of these sounds and letters, imagine you number the letters in the sequence they appear, so a=1, r=2, c=3, h=4, i'll pair up 1 and 3, and 2 and 4, so 2 pairs, they both have the same gap between them, and then i combine some of the sounds and come up with what sounds like "ey yee es see" for the first pair and "ar ayr arch aych" and that's why i like the word, because the original word comes up in the mixtures of sounds which i haven't found before, but yeah long story straight every moment i'm awake i've got some form of that running through my head, and i'll try and find the longest word that i can with pairs of letters which add up nicely etc and when a word doesn't fit it like bass for instance, the second pair of letters, the "a" and the second "s" make the sound "ay ey ess ess" which is repeating stuff which doesn't make it very nice i think, but i'm assuming that this can't possibly be a normal thing to do because of how darned distracting and at times frustrating it can be and i've talked to one person about it and they sort of just said huh, that's odd and brushed past it? any thoughts?

second one, a bit more logical and "normal":

basically i sort of need some sort of constant expression of rhythm, i know that some people compulsively tap fingers etc and sometimes i do but when i feel like tapping fingers would be annoying to another person i'll switch to a different thing that can be used, the two most common that i've found myself doing is twitching my eyes, usually left eye to represent a bass drum or the main beat and the right eye for a snare or hi-hat sort of thing, the accent of the rhythm if you will, and i do the same thing sort of sliding my jaw from side to side with it gently clenched, left for the beat and to the right for the accent if you will. again, was wondering if anyone had any insight into what might cause me to have these weird things that i can't stop doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread