It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• "BRAIN LOCK"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2003, 06:31 AM   #1
    mike55

mike55 HB User
    "BRAIN LOCK"

I just purchased and began reading the bool "Brain Lock". So far I enjoy it very much and find it helpful. Thanks to you wonderful people I found out about the book. Are there success stories about this book rigfht here in this forum? It gives me hope and I know it will educate me greatly.

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
    hangtenvetter
    Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User
    Re: "BRAIN LOCK"

Hey Mike,
    I have read about a couple success stories on this forum with "Brain Lock". I've only heard good things about it.
    Keith

Old 12-07-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

I am glad it helped you guys, but, unfortunately I found "Brain Lock" to be too "simplistic" in dealing with o.c.d. The presumption that thinking that it "is not me, it is just my o.c.d." as a "cure all", I think is simplistic to say the least.

The best book on o.c.d I still feel is "Stop Obsessing" by Edna Foa. I even attended her clinic in Philadelphia for three weeks.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
    mike55

mike55 HB User

Why does a techinique such as the four steps have to be difficult to work! I think you may be giving OCD more credit than it deserves.

Mike55

Old 12-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike55
    Why does a techinique such as the four steps have to be difficult to work! I think you may be giving OCD more credit than it deserves.

Mike55
    I say the book is based on too much of a simplistic approach because to too many people their o.c.d. is absolutely horrifying to them. They have unbelievable intense fears relating to their o.c.d. To just say to someone to look at it as "it's not me, it's my o.c.d." is just plain unhelpful to many people.

Plus, there are various forms of o.c.d. - and not just of the intrusive thought kind.

There are irrational fears about one's health and of catching diseases, hording, responsibility o.c.d., religious scrupulosity, etc. A lot of these fears and obsessions just can't be realistically attacked by saying "it's not me, it's my o.c.d."

I would have to say I am about 75% better than I was 2 years ago with my o.c.d., but it was not by using the treatment found in Brain Lock. But, hey, if it works for some people, all the power to them. I just found that the best book on o.c.d. is Edna Foa's "Stop Obsessing". She takes a very realistic approach to o.c.d.

Last edited by fm5; 12-07-2003 at 01:35 PM.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #6
    mike55

mike55 HB User

I totally understand what your saying. But isn't it possible that a simple technique like the four step program, if used over and over again, could re-wire our brain circuitry? But like you said some things work better for different people. The bottom line is that we all get better and try not to become a slave to this insidious OCD. All the best to you!

Mike55

Old 12-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike55
    I totally understand what your saying. But isn't it possible that a simple technique like the four step program, if used over and over again, could re-wire our brain circuitry?
    Mike55
    For some people, maybe yes. But too many others, a flat no.

Again, I have heard of many people who liked his book, but I didn't find it really helpful. To each his own.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:51 AM   #8
    brandy76
    (female)

brandy76 HB User

Oh my gosh i was just going to post a ? about this book. I just purchased it and couldn't put it down. And i'm the girlfriend of a guy who has OCD, so I am trying to learn & help him.

The book makes it seem so easy with that 4 step rule to rid you of ocd - is it really that easy???

Sometimes when my boyfriend is doing something that he and i both know are his ocd traits we both laugh, and i always ask him "can't you just not do that?" it gets very frustrating to try and understand why he can't. but as i'm reading this book i'm realizing more & more. (for example he'll pluck his eyelashes on both eyes like he's getting something off of them, but in actuality there's nothing there. the other night he was doing that and i said "what's wrong" he said "there's something in my eye" and i say "its impossible that somethings in both your eye" and i actually pulled his hand away. Of course he got mad, but its so hard to watch him do these things, especially since now i know why he's doing them)

However that method of not letting the person perform their compulsion seems easier said than done. Another example my bf has to have everything even, and on his travel bag they have those zippers that zip from both sides and meet in the middle, so as he's zippering it to come to the precise middle, i purposely in front of him realign it so its not even, he laughs and puts it back, but i persist that he has to leave it the other way. I keep checking back on him and he did leave it, but something tells me when he took it with him he probably put it back inplace.

So how do these behavior therapist get success if the person is not even willing to do things a diff. way???

It's so difficult sometimes and this board has been a great help to me

Old 12-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
    Duner

Duner HB User

So how do these behavior therapist get success if the person is not even willing to do things a diff. way???

Brandy
    I ask myself that all the time. We were at a restaurant the other day and I kept sanitizing my hands.
    It was a buffet mind you, I just kept thinking about haow many people have touched the utensils to get their food.
    My husband kept telling me to stop, but I didnt want to.
    I think how am I gonna get better when I'm not willing to change somthing.
    Duner

Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #10
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

I believe that the main thing that works with o.c.d. is exposure and response prevention.

An example of this would be if someone was afraid of dirt to do daily exercises lasting around an hour a day touching dirt for instance and to do this for as long as the fear dies down.

I also advocate meditation for 15 minutes to a 1/2 a day on how really irrational the fears are.

I do believe in some of the things Brain Lock suggests such as response prevention, but just telling someone to think "it's not me, it's my o.c.d." is just not a realistic approach to o.c.d. in my book.

Old 12-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #11
    mike55

mike55 HB User

I think exposure therapy might be a wonderful thing. The "It's just OCD, It's not me" thing works for me because when I begin to obsess I immediately refer to this and it kind of keeps me on my toes. So I have to say yes there is some validity to it. I then immediately try and divert my attention to something that I love to do, such as playing my sax or writing music. I guess it may also depend on someone's severity of OCD. I'm mild to moderate so maybe it works best for someone like myself. Then there is the evidence of the PET scans done with patients with OCD and those same people who were practicing the 4 step method. I know that FM does not agree with this technique. I only want FM and the rest of you to get well the best way you can. So it's essential that everyone find the right technique and/or medication that works for you. I myself have been off medication since July and I have no intentions of ever go back on it. It made things worse for me and things are better now. I still have my moments but I'm alot better and I know that the 4 step program has changed my way of dealing with obsessing.

Mike

Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User

I am so happy for you Mike!!! There are different levels of severity of OCD. My 4 year old does very well with a pediatric version of what you have learned in the Brain-Lock book. Now that we are seeing an OCD doctor, we are also exposing her to her greatest fears and the OCD doctor says this is how you make the patient stronger for the next OCD assault. So we use the exposure techniques as more of a preventative measure. I have to model the behavior and it can be hard for me because we really push the limit. For example, I might actually sit on an unprotected toilet seat at the doctor's office. But listen, there is no way in h*ll that I'll sit on an unprotected toilet seat at Wal-Mart though!!! I have OCP and the P is for personality. It is no where near as bad as OCD. I would never ask my daughter to do anything that I, myself, can not do. I'm not sure how the exposure technique works for disturbing thoughts.

Again, I am so happy that you have reported your success. Sometimes I think that people who are doing well avoid the board maybe because they want to repress the memories or something. I haven't quite figured it out. I know a lot of people in my life that can deal fairly easily with their OCD. You generally don't see this type of individual posting on this board. It's really inspiring to hear your story.

Last edited by TerryB; 12-08-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #13
    mike55

mike55 HB User

Terry, that's so great that your daughter's OCD was found by intelligent parents. I'm sure that by the time she really gets on with her life she will be in full control of herself and her life.

All the best
    Mike

Old 12-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #14
    taga

taga HB User

Just thought I'd share my experience with this book...

First off, I was never professionally diagnosed with OCD but I know that I have it and have been dealing with it for a very long time. I suffered from "intrusive thoughts" which reached its peak in my early 20's. I'm 27 now. At one point, it was so bad I asked my mother to take me to a hospital because I was so afraid I was losing my mind. My mom just said I was worrying too much (ok..that was obvious) and just sort of dismissed it.

One day, I walked into a bookstore and picked up this book. I must have sat there for hours reading through it. But I never read the book in its entirety. I seriously feared that by reading the experiences of others, I would also adopt their obsessions. I remember skipping over the personal accounts in the book because I couldn’t handle reading it.

I realize that the advice offered in this book is overly simplistic to many people- but I found that it really helped me. My biggest fear was that I was evil or completely crazy for thinking the things I was obsessing about (mostly freak accidents, death, hurting someone, and everything and anything morbid). On the outside, I was the happiest, most outgoing person…but inside I felt like I was completely losing it. It’s been a long time since I looked through the book. But I remember things really started to change for me after that day. I felt SO much better, just knowing that these thoughts were due to the disorder and not anything I wanted or was capable of doing. That, in itself, seemed to make all the difference for me. Whenever I would start to think about something horrible, I would tell myself that it was OCD and that my brain was essentially getting “stuck or locked” on the thought. I would force myself to think of something else, which of course is what I always tried to do before but was unsuccessful. Maybe it was just believing it was possible that helped me. It took some time, but it seemed it really worked for me. I basically had to train my brain not to get “locked” on a particular thought.

I guess I just felt better believing that I had some control over this thing, because for so long I felt I was a prisoner in my own mind. I don’t know why it worked for me, but I’m so glad it did. Different things work for different people. I know I still have many OCD characteristics, but nothing like that horrible time I went through. When I started to get better, it was like a huge weight was lifted and for the first time in a long time I felt like myself again!

Wishing all of you all the very best…and the happiest of thoughts : )

The Following User Says Thank You to taga For This Useful Post:
    mrfy123 (08-05-2011)
    Old 12-14-2003, 02:42 PM   #15
    taga

taga HB User

Quote:
    But isn't it possible that a simple technique like the four step program, if used over and over again, could re-wire our brain circuitry?
    The above was posted by Mike. Just wanted to say, that I really believed that this was possible for me. I would get very discouraged when I heard that OCD was due to some chemical inbalance in the brain because I didn't want to get on medication to fix it (which I thought was the only way to fix an inbalance) Looking back on when my OCD was at it's worst, I KNOW I would have been prescribed meds. Which is fine, but not what I wanted. On the other hand, I felt better being able to attribute the thoughts so something other that me just going crazy- which was how I felt. I don't even recall exactly what the four steps were, but I know by acknowleding that the thoughts were the OCD and not me, and then redirected my thoughts to something else...(and doing this over and over) really helped. I think it after some time, it became automatic for me. Again, perhaps my case wasn't as bad...although I know there were times I felt it couldn't possible have gotten much worse.

Mike~ I'm so glad it worked for you and that you're feeling better!

Closed Thread