It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• risperdal for OCD??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
    obsessor

obsessor HB User
    risperdal for OCD??

dear fellow obsessors..
    i am an OCD sufferer (pure-O)..ive been on 60 mg of celexa and 100 mg of luvox for 4 months now..i noticed a huge improvement(what i mean by huge is that i STILL have violent thoughts daily but they dont bother me the way they used to).
    lately my thoughts turned into fear of death and expecting it any minute..2day i told my dr and the started reducing the celexa (cos i told her about the weird feeling in my legs at night which turned out to be RLS) and she decided that celexa was the cause..she put me on .25 mg of risperdal which is used in high doses for shcizophrenia while low doses r for OCD..has anyone ever been on this med??if so,can he/she share the experience with it with me?
    thanx alot..
    sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
    curt34
    (male)

curt34 HB User
    Re: risperdal for OCD??

My psych put me on Risperdal about 3 months ago and I have been very pleased with the results. I felt a little odd about taking a medication that is for schizophrenia, but he said Risperdal has shown to work great for ocd at lower doses. I'm on .5 mg and have seen a sharp decline with regard to my obsessive thoughts. Supposedly risperdal helps the SSRI work better. I'm grateful to have found this combination and now can function normally.
    Good luck.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
    FroBoyPeaceGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

FroBoyPeaceGuy HB User

Hello Obsessor,

I persoanally do not have OCD, but my gf who also posts (ontheway) has this disorder. One of her meds is the Risperdal, and she says it helps a lil, but the thing she doesn't like is the side effect (not in everyone) is that lactation occurs. She did not have this happening until she started w/ this medicine. I think yoi have a stronger dosage than she does. I heard some meds can counteract some of the wierd side effects that happen in the body.

As for the fear of death, if you are in good health cept for the OCD thoughts, then trust in yourself to live a long prosperous life. I've visited this board for a lil while now, and I have seen so much love these folks have for one another. It is like a big family in here, always helping one another. [ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2004 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Do not post any kind of off-board contact information. Please carefully review the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on Posting Rules at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 05-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
    curt34
    (male)

curt34 HB User

Thanks for the words of encouragement. OCD can be so damn frustrating.....I suppose you understand that since your girlfriend has to deal this illness. I know my obsessions about terminal illness are statistically ludacris, but I convince myself that I will be in the small number of people. Assinine, I know, but I still have trouble stopping the thoughts. Sorry to go on.....it seems when we get an ear we lay it all out in hopes of finding some comfort.ha Take care.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:33 AM   #5
    twotouchted
    (female)

twotouchted HB User

I'm glad I read this. Now I know I'm not the only one. The Zoloft alone didn't help much but these tics I have had nearly all of my life and the skin picking! ugh! I seem to be insisted on grooming my fingers till they are sore and bleeding. Nobody is this mad, I think. Oh those horrible tics! The blinking, the tapping, the clearing of the throat, the jerking movements! When will they stop? I told the shrink about this and he put me on 1 mg. of Risperdal to add to my 50 mg. of Zoloft. The Risperdal should help with the tics, I'm told. "Tics are meant to ward off evil." That is in the OCD world.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I am curious as you all state that Risperdal has helped alot. have any of you gained wieght from this med. that is one of the reasons I am afraid to take it.

THANKS!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
    Casey5
    Inactive

Casey5 HB User

Good question fusion. Rispersal and Zyprexa are sister meds, and are notorious for significant amounts of weight gain, Zyprexa, it the worst and I wouldn't use that unless all the other meds fail.

While Risperdal is not an OCD medicaiton, it can be very affective for racing thoughts that people with OCD can have. Recently I had two major back surgeries and had to be on narcotics for several months. When my pain stopped I had to withdrawal very slowly to avoid bad withdrawal symptoms. I did really well except one thing I got was severe anxiety attacks with awful disterbing racing thoughts that kept going around and around in circles and wouldn't stop. My doc gave me Risperdal samples and 20 mins after 1 pill, it stopped. A week later I had another one and didn't know how many more I would have. I told my doc I didn't want to take Risperdal again because of the weight gain issue and he prescribed Klonopin Wafers which worked even faster the the Risperdal, about 10 mins.

I only had 3 off these anxiety attacks and when the narcotics were out of my system, I never had another. If you just have periodic attacks of racing thoughts, you can just take one when you are having the attack. But if you have them all the time, which many with OCD do, then you would need to take any of these meds daily on a regular basis. Klonopin comes in pill form as well for long term use.

Talk to your psychiatrist if you have any concerns about the Risperdal side effects. You could get lucky and have no weight gain, it happens.

Good Luck,
    Casey

Old 04-06-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

yes A-P are great for Tics and violent thoughts but there side effects are pretty strong for most people to endure. I tried them briefly and just felt, weak, tired, uncoordinated, brain-dead, super hungry and very sleepy and tired.
    Since I am lazy to begin with this drug is best for me to avoid.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
    cardani
    (female)

cardani HB User

Hey, my doc just put me on 0.5mg of Risperdal a week and a half ago, in addition to the 150mg of Effexor XR and 30mg of Remeron i take. He prescribed the risperdal because i took myself off of Zyprexa (i didnt like many of the side effects), he assures me that with Risperdal there is hardly any weight gain compared to zyprexa, and it doesnt make me nearly as lazy or tired, just a nicer more controlled feeling. I also like the atypical anti-depressants much better than the SSRI's i was on paxil before and it was evil and i ended up in the psych ward because of it, it has to do with me being young i guess they said. well best of luck, Carrie (it is for all my really paranoid and kinda scizo thoughts.., but it also helps with obsessions i find)

Old 04-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
    Pillowtalkk
    (female)

Pillowtalkk HB User

my son is on risperdal for OCD and it works for him , now it did put on weight but its ok he needed some. And it does knock him out sound all night which is good i guess cuz he was getting up thru out the night.

Closed Thread