It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Mouth Noises? Eating Noises?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
    kateco2

kateco2 HB User
    Angry Mouth Noises? Eating Noises?

Just making sure this is common to other people:

The worst thing I have found about my OCD is that I am completely intolerant of "mouth" noises - if someone is eating or god forbid!, chewing gum with their mouth open, I can't do ANYTHING except get more and more aggravated.

I discovered this in high school, and its followed me through college and now to work. I work in an office where they eat CONSTANTLY. Someone is always chewing or lip-smacking or slurping. Or (like right now!) sucking food off the ends of their fingers!!!! (And I can hear that right thru my headphones....)

Sometimes, all it takes in a lecture or meeting is the person talking to have that "beginning-of-the-sentence lipsmack". A couple of those and I have to leave.

I don't even like the sound of my OWN eating or drinking. I do it as silently as possible, or put on headphones. When my nose is stuffed and I have to breathe, well, I could shoot myself if I had a gun.

My husband snores, and the only way to get through that is go to bed before he does, and wear really good earplugs to bed.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT MOUTH NOISES?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
    YankeesFan1212

YankeesFan1212 HB User
    Re: Mouth Noises? Eating Noises?

I have major problems with eating and snoring noises. When anyone in my family or even my friends eat, I have to do something to block the sound out. Most of the time I go into my room to eat and turn my stereo up, but when my relatives come over and I have to eat with them, I almost go crazy... they chew on that steak like their is no tomorrow. And after that, they go right to the chips! When I eat, it doesnt bother me, but I think thats because I dont make much noise.
    Now to the snoring-- My room used to be right beside my parents room, and my dad snores like crazy. And you can't block the sound out... even if you shut your door and put a pillow right over your face, his damn snoring still comes out the winner. I moved my room downstairs a while back, but when I have to drink water, I can still hear it and even 10 seconds of listening to that can drive me nuts.
    At least I am not the only one with this problem, HAHA!

Old 10-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #3
    redherring

redherring HB User

Oh don't get me started on mouth noises. I get so irritated! How about gum snapping to kick your OCD in high gear?? I hate going to the movies because I pay more attention to the person sitting next to me or in back of me noisely wolfing down popcorn at a fast clip.

The following user gives a hug of support to redherring:
    Talulabelle (09-11-2011)
    Old 10-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I'm not OCD as far as I know, but I can't stand mouth noises, and the worst for me is nose noises...you know when someones nose whistles because they need to blow it? My husband thinks it's funny and does it to p*** me off!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
    redherring

redherring HB User

OMG! I forgot about the nose noises. How about when people habitually snork their noses. Sorry, I don't know how else to describe it

Old 10-19-2004, 06:47 AM   #6
    bluetooth
    Veteran

bluetooth HB User

jeez! people eating crisps makes me wanna slap them! cant eat with my family lol all that chewing and crunching ugh, makes me wanna scream!!!

Old 10-19-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds mouth noises unbearable. I have a friend who chews gum constantly and with her mouth as wide open as possible. The more I try to ignore it, the more I focus on it. Sometimes I want to scream at her, "SHUT YOUR G*DD**M MOUTH" as loud as I can. She's like a barnyard animal. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
    bluetooth
    Veteran

bluetooth HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonGirl44
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds mouth noises unbearable. I have a friend who chews gum constantly and with her mouth as wide open as possible. The more I try to ignore it, the more I focus on it. Sometimes I want to scream at her, "SHUT YOUR G*DD**M MOUTH" as loud as I can. She's like a barnyard animal. Thanks for letting me vent.
    lol i always chew gum and im hoping i dont irritate my friends too much!

Old 10-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
    mandersBC
    (female)

mandersBC HB User

I found this thread interesting...

I cannot stand nose noises...snoring (gross, raspy snoring), snotty noses, that terrible sound of someone sucking the snot back into their nose when they should be blowing it out instead! My boyfriend is great at this....

On the other hand, I have mild TMJ, so my jaw clicks when I eat. He can't stand the sound of anyone chewing, so when he hears me eat something crunchy (like cereal, or crackers), it drives him INSANE.

So, his nose drives me crazy and my mouth noises do the same to him. So happy together.... Haha.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
    cupcakes

cupcakes HB User

I am SO glad there are others out there that go bonkers when they hear thesse noises, too!!!

I was thinking for a while there that I was the only person in the world that was annoyed by people's mouth and nose noises. I have to plug my ears or turn up the TV real loud during supper with others!!!

I don't know how anyone can chew and swallow soooooooooooooooo loud and not even hear it!!!!

Good luck to all ocder's like me who go absolutely nuts when we hear these sounds!!

Old 10-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluetooth
    lol i always chew gum and im hoping i dont irritate my friends too much!
    LOL bluetooth! It doesn't bother me if people chew gum (or any foods for that matter) with their mouths closed. But to constantly be smacking gum with your mouth wide open just turns my stomach. It grosses me out to even see someone's mouth wide open, let alone hear what's going on inside it. I've never mentioned anything to my friend (not sure why, I just feel like I'll come across as a pest) so I've been suffering for years. Sometimes she'll ask for a piece of gum and I'll say I don't have any, even though I do, just so I can be free of her chewing for one night.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
    kateco2

kateco2 HB User

What I don't understand, and I've found it true with a bunch of us, is that we cannot ask for those people to stop?! My BP skyrockets, I start to twitch, but I still feel like it's my fault/problem/something - that I am WRONG - to ask them to "please, could you chew with your mouth shut?" ... I mean, isn't that something you learn as a child? WHY in god's name is it acceptable office, or anywhere else for that matter!, behavior to smack and snort and eat like a barnyard animal? Or get a tissue for your nose? I feel polite behavior doesn't exist anymore...

Old 10-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #13
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Kateco,
    I often wonder why it's so hard to ask someone to please chew with their mouth closed. I mean, we're not the ones being gross and rude. Then again, like you said, it's something you learn as a child to be polite. Sometimes I want to start slurping my drinks or chewing loudly to see how my friend feels, but I don't do it because I don't even want to hear these noises coming from myself!

Old 10-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #14
    bluetooth
    Veteran

bluetooth HB User

im like ur boyfriend lol
    anyone crunching drives me insane, i always avoid it by going somewhere else. i get angry and just wanna lash out

i didnt even realise this is a form of OCD lol
    more to my life than i realise

Old 10-21-2004, 07:54 AM   #15
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

LOL bluetooth!

When I used to take the train to work, I'd always, without fail, get stuck next to someone eating their breakfast on the way into Boston. And of course it would have to be the most repulsive eater known to mankind. Thank god for headphones. I could've killed someone.

I would like to know why some people are so affected by this and some aren't. It's not like it can't be heard but why is it so easy for some people to just tune out?

Closed Thread