It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Help - I Just Started Zoloft Today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
    powershelp
    (female)

powershelp HB User
    Help - I Just Started Zoloft Today

Hi Everyone,
    If anyone is on Zoloft for OCD please let me know what to expect. I have harming obsessions so I am so worried about the whole ssri - suicide connection. I am freaking out!!
    Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User
    Re: Help - I Just Started Zoloft Today

Hi. I am on Zoloft mainly for anxiety and depression, but I also have OCD. I'm on 50 mgs a day. It's sort of helped me with my OCD (dermatillomania) but it's done a great job with my anxiety and depression. I was a little sleepy when I first started taking it, but then that side effect went away. I missed 4 days once, and I had a crying attack and a sudden depressive episode. I was also really dizzy and lightheaded. As soon as I took it again, I was OK. All in all, I love Zoloft and I'm planning to stay on it.

Also, I had suicidal tendencies and self-injury in the past, but I haven't had any of that with the Zoloft...

Last edited by flgirl24; 01-24-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
    powershelp
    (female)

powershelp HB User

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement!! I really appreciate it. I just want to feel better.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
    Laydee

Laydee HB User

I hated Zoloft. Sorry to say this but that's true.
    I started gaining weight so I became depressed, and felt awful.
    I quit it after three month, I am off it for now 1 month, I am dieting so strictly, I am starving an exercising and still didn't lose a pound. I have really bad OCD periods but I want to manage them without any medicine. Occasionaly xanax.
    so...
    I wish you luck, It does help. But.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
    lachesis
    (female)

lachesis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laydee
    I hated Zoloft. Sorry to say this but that's true.
    I started gaining weight so I became depressed, and felt awful.
    I quit it after three month, I am off it for now 1 month, I am dieting so strictly, I am starving an exercising and still didn't lose a pound. I have really bad OCD periods but I want to manage them without any medicine. Occasionaly xanax.
    so...
    I wish you luck, It does help. But.
    i hated zoloft myself, but i had rather the opposite reaction. i had been anorexic before but with zoloft i had absolutely no appetite and lost over 10 pounds. i also started having frequent panic attacks and was incredibly manic all the time, and i couldn't sleep at all.

but this just shows how differently people respond to medication, so i wouldn't worry. give yourself some time on the meds, see if they feel right for you, and if not talk to your psychiatrist about your side effects. i wouldn't worry about the suicide connection, because zoloft isn't going to MAKE you kill yourself. good luck

Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
    shannonmb
    (female)

shannonmb HB User

Hi,

I have been on Zoloft for 7 years now and was put on it for anxiety. I was on 50 mg this entire time and it worked great for that. Then I developed OCD (brought on by anxiety). I was slowly bumped up to 150 mg. Once you start taking Zoloft it can take 2 or more weeks to actual start working and kick in. After a couple of weeks you will feel much better. For people with OCD, Zoloft will only take care of that in higher dosages. People with OCD on Zoloft usually need to be on at least 150 mg and as high as 300 mg (the recommendation is 200 mg max). Zoloft in higher dosages takes care of the serotonin levels, but also starts stimulating your dopamine level which does help with the OCD. You can look at Zoloft's Web site to get more info.

http://zoloft.com/

To summarize, people on Zoloft for OCD need to be on higher dosages for it to be effective.

Good luck!

Shannon

Closed Thread