It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Risperdal anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
    sjd1654
    (female)

sjd1654 HB User
    Risperdal anyone?

Hi, I am taking Luvox currently, 300 mg., my Dr. just switched me from Ativan to Risperdal with it. Does anyone have any experience with this combo?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User
    Re: Risperdal anyone?

SJD, wow.. I am also taking 300 mg. of luvox and my doctor wants me to also augment with risperdal. My doctor said that .5 mg of risperdal is enough for OCD help.
    People who have schzioprenia take around 5 mg. So its only 1/10th the dose.
    Still rispedal sounds scarry.
    From what I here risperdal is much less side effects than zyprexa. Never take zyprexa!!!!!!!!
    Risperdal causes some wt. gain and tiredness but zyprexa is far worse.

I might start my risperdal next week I feel that the luvox is helping but not enough.!!!!!!!!! Maybe the rispedal will really cripple the OCD because the Luvox does not knock it out only controls it.
    I feel for you as well. Please update me immediately

Old 02-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

risperdal and zyprexa are both antipsychotics and their use in OCD is controversial, OCD is an anxiety disorder and some docs say antopsychotics are unsuitable for any anxiety condition, although zyprexa is being heavily promoted to docs for anxiety now
    schizophrenia is very differerent to OCD

300 of luvox is generally the max dose and a swap to another antidepressant may be better

I was given lots of antiipsychotics dfor my panic attacks and anxiety and they never helped much, they are a blunt instrument for anxiety, IMO

Old 02-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

Yes I know.... I am going to first try to add Risperdal. IF I CANT HANDLE it or GO NUTS then I will consider adding small doses of anafranil to my luvox. I have tried the other A-P like geodon and seroquel and they dont help OCD for me much.

Zyrpexa is the worse drug out there. Massive tiredness and WT GAIN...

300 mg. of luvox has made my life from imposssible to so-so. I still need another drug to really beat OCD and get full control. Luvox helps

Old 02-07-2005, 02:52 AM   #5
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

I'm on 3mg of Risperdal. When I went to see my pdoc about my ocd he told me that he was going to start weaning me off of it because Risperdal and other antipsychotics are known for making OCD worse. So if you're OCD starts getting worse see your pdoc immediately because it might be the risperdal doing it.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
    Pillowtalkk
    (female)

Pillowtalkk HB User

my son is 12 and so far risperdal is helping he was on 1/2 mg but now he take the whole 1 and it does knock him out so we give right before bed . He was having mad mood swings here and there about OCD things or other stuff but so far its been a 2 weeks and he is like a different child, He seems to be having fun with life again and not worrying so much about adult thing or his ocd problems

Old 02-07-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

to bby. yes higher doses of AP can make OCD much worse but lower doses seems to help OCD in some people. If I were you I would cut down the dose to .5 mg. and see if that makes your OCD alot better or worse.
    Stick to the lower dose for awhile and see before you completely cut out.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
    sjd1654
    (female)

sjd1654 HB User

Hi, I tried 1 mg. of risperdal the other night. It was awful, I felt so dizzy and foggy headed and fell asleep until morning. I still didn't feel normal until about 3:00 in the afternoon. I told my husband I never wanted to take it again. I felt really weird. He talked me into trying 1/2 a tablet. I may try that tonight right before bedtime. The luvox, I agree, is just not doing quite enough-like it is trying, but just needs a big, big, push! I'll let you know how tonight goes.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

to BBY!!!!! did the risperdal cause you to gain alot of Weight. Also how tired and sleepy did the meds make you.

I might start my risperdal augmenting to luvox next week. I feel that my OCD is still not controlled enought with luvox

Old 02-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

I gained some weight with the Risperdal. It doesn't make me sleepy at all and I'm on 3 mg but I also have insomnia really bad..I take Seroquel for sleep.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
    dgold
    (male)

dgold HB User

to bby. Do you think a low dose like .5 mg of risperdal will cause wt. gain. Will a dose that small increase my appetiate alot??

Also does rispedal affect your coordination like hand eye coordination and overall coordination and strength for sports.
    thanks.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #12
    tony55
    (male)

tony55 HB User

I'm also considering Risperdal. I was taking 20 mg of Lexapro and like your experience with 300 mg of Luvox, I was feeling better, but still had significant OCD. The doc recommended Risperdal or Wellbutrin. I opted for the Wellbutrin because he said Risperdal normally causes sleepiness and I was already sleepy (from the Lexapro or depression, not sure which). Any advice is appreciated!

Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
    tony55
    (male)

tony55 HB User

Oh, to clarify, I am augmenting my 20 mg of Lexapro with 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #14
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgold
    to BBY!!!!! did the risperdal cause you to gain alot of Weight. Also how tired and sleepy did the meds make you.
    It doesn't really make me tired...strange huh. Maybe it's because I have insomnia really really bad which I take Seroquel for. I haven't really noticed a change in my weight since I've been taking it either.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgold
    to bby. Do you think a low dose like .5 mg of risperdal will cause wt. gain. Will a dose that small increase my appetiate alot??

Also does rispedal affect your coordination like hand eye coordination and overall coordination and strength for sports.
    thanks.
    I don't know if a low dosage would cause weight gain or not. Everyone is different and meds affect everyone differently. I haven't had any coordination or strength problems.

Closed Thread