It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• What are some of your OCD rituals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
    worrywart0829

worrywart0829 HB User
    What are some of your OCD rituals?

Some examples of mine are:

I need to eat things in pairs (ex. 2 M&M's, 2 mozzarella sticks, 2 french fries). I can't eat just one, or three. If I eat 3, I need a 4th and so on and so on.

I "dust" my alarm clock off before setting it and then set it 3 times before I'm satisfied.

I say to myself "If I do xxxthing before xxxthing happens, that's good, if not that's bad"

Anyone else have any rituals? I would love to share some of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 AM   #2
    Poo2
    (female)

Poo2 HB User
    Re: What are some of your OCD rituals?

AHH, where to start?

Well for me it's constant hand washing. I work in a community setting. If I go into a unclean house, even though I didn't touch anything, I wash. Before I eat I wash (That's a good thing) after I blow my nose, after I go potty, after I change my child, basically all the time. I never have colds, I guess there's a positive with that. I WILL NOT touch a handrail in ANY building, even in my house. Too many germs.

I recheck my alarm clock 3 times. I tend to check in 3's. I check locks and doors, stove, light switches. If I think I may have not checked good enough when I leave my house I will turn around and go back even if I'm a couple miles away. Good thing is that I have my own little thing I do before I go into work or otherwise I'd be late. Oh wait, that's another thing I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT be late for anything. I'll have anxiety attacks and drive 100 miles an hour just to get somewhere on time or a little early.

I also have intrusive thoughts every once in awhile. Like I'll think "What would happen to me if I drove my car into that rail?"

I have a bunch more but too many to type.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
    Dogbone
    (male)

Dogbone HB User

I make handmade concrete tiles with plant and animal images. When I am stacking them to cure they have to be alighned with their heads up. I can't step on a bug. If I do, I think about it all day. When I worked in construction I had a hard time hiding the fact that I had to get all the spiders and sow bugs off any board before I nailed them up. I always have this strange dark pressure while I am doing these things. This pressure makes me feel like these things have to be done. The worst of my things is the sick obsessive thoughts which I won't go into. Or like when I am waiting in line and some alien ship lands on the roof and starts blowing everyone to smitherines with lazor cannons while I am in the middle of a convesation with someone.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
    daftthing
    (female)

daftthing HB User

I avoid most things related to the numbers 3 & 6 .... so when I touch something more than once, for example, I have to be careful to not do it 3 or 6 times. Can't write three words, if I am looking at a bunch of numbers, I have to look at a number that isn't 3 or 6 before I can look away etc. I can't touch something red with my right hand ..... and usually avoid touching something red at most costs anyways, but if I have to, I can with my left hand only. Left = bad and Red = bad so it cancels it out. I can't touch anything ok with my left hand last. If I have touched something with my left hand, I have to touch it again with my right hand and count to 9. If I look at a bunch of words, say a sign for example, before I can look away I have to find a word with the letter a in it, and it has to be in a good position .... i.e not the third or sixth letter in the word. If I see a number plate or a phone number, for example, I sometimes (depending on what I am thinking about) have to repeat it over and over in my head until it feels ok. Also, if I make a typo and realise I have to delete the whole word and start again, and sometimes if I am particularly anxious, I have to delete the whole sentence and start again. They are just examples of a few.

Last edited by daftthing; 05-05-2005 at 03:28 PM. Reason: addition

Old 05-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

Oh my good thread.

I have to have my keys in my right pocket and my lighter in my left pocket or I feel that something bad is going to happen. I've actually misplaced my keys one day when I was out and was freaking out in the parking lot til I found it. My sister said I needed to get some help. The funny thing is, I am getting help.

I can't use public restrooms. AT ALL. I can't even walk in and stand there to wait for someone. I've tried carrying wipes with me but I still couldn't do it.

I check locks 3 times before I go to bed. I've also started checking windows and the stove. I guess that means I'm getting worse.

Everything has to be in alphabetical order (movies, cassettes, dvd's, cd's). It's funny because my sister wanted me to put her movies in numeric order and I just stood there in fright and said "i can't do numeric order, only alphabetical"...I need help.

I also hoard plastic bags and papers.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
    joa
    (female)

joa HB User

Hi. its good to hear from you guys. I hate the number three and nine, i see some of you lots dont like 3 either. What is it about the number 3.

I have to re read anything that i write down in case i have written something bad. For example in someones birthday card! Bonkers i know! Sometimes at work i have to print out e mails to re read at home in case i have written anything bad in them. I will re-open letters i have sent to re read them too. Anything to do with germs and blood freak me out. I have come home and washed the bottom of my shoes cos i have seen some blood or a plaster in the street.

I constantly worry about everything and i do have to check the lights, cooker etc before i leave the house or go to bed. I'm obsessed with needles and will walk miles back to where i think i have saw one in the street.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
    Kopoli
    Inactive

Kopoli HB User

When something is touted as "bad for you" it is best to avoid it at all costs. We are told that it's best to stay out of the sun... Well, that's exactly what I do. I never let the sun touch my skin. I take an umbrella outside, even if it's partly cloudy. I live in the dreary northwest United States and still feel as though it's far too sunny too often. If I have a day to myself and it's sunny outside I stay home. I keep my curtains closed and will absolutely not allow any sun to permeate my living space. If I am near a window with indirect lighting I wear sunglasses when possible. If I'm at work and near a window with any amount of natural light coming through I get headaches because I can't exactly look like a normal employee wearing sunglasses or a shield. I wait for the evening to run errands when possible. I live close to where I work so I don't have to endure a long sunny commute (I don't drive, it would be difficult to sheild myself from the sun while driving). When I watch films I obsess over the fact that the actors are outside in the sun and sometimes can't watch if it is a prolonged sunny outdoor scene. Other than that, I suppose I'm fairly normal. heh

Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

I don't have a lot of rituals really, but when I first moved into my husband's apartment, I went through I don't know how many cans of Lysol. LOL, it wasn't that his place was so dirty or anything, but I was freaked out by the fact that it was an apartment and people had been living there for so many years, and now I was living there! EWWWW! I had to steam clean the carpet so many times (twice a month for a while) and I still can't walk on it without socks on. I tried to get the apartment manager to change it out, but she wouldn't, and I totally freaked out. I Lysolled everything from the faucets, to all of the insides of the cabinets, to the AC vents! Now that I've lived here a year and a half, I've kinda chilled with the Lysol, but I still use a lot of bleach...

And oh, I have this recurring NIGHTMARE about public bathrooms!!!! When I'm stressed I dream that I have to use a public bathroom, and grossness starts coming up from the toilet and the floor drains, and gets all over me...Yeah I'm crazy! LOL!

Old 05-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
    worrywart0829

worrywart0829 HB User

bump to the top

Old 05-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
    Best Friend
    Veteran

Best Friend HB User

When I was in the 'frenzy' of my OCD days, I had to do a lot of touching of 'beloved' objects...photos of family....my dogs...etc. Along with THAT, I had to simultaneously think a "good thought" - a quick flashing 'thought' that they were well and happy and would remain that way...as long as I GOT THE THOUGHT RIGHT!! If a "bad thought" intruded - well, then, I'd have to start the 'touch ritual' over again. Did I truly believe that I held the power of life or death?!?!? OF COURSE NOT. But it FELT like I did!

I also went thru a nutsy stage where I became obsessed with 'looking perfect.' One time I nicked my leg with a razor and went into weeks of obsessing that I had "damaged my self" - that I would never be 'flawless' again. What made this all so weird is that I'm not a horribly vain person. It was linked to some 'perfection' thing. I dealt with this the way I dealt with ANY "crisis" in my life at that time -- I made myself "think good thoughts' to make it okay. I'd talk myself down rationally and then conclude with a "good thought' - after which I'd feel enormous relief. Until 5 minutes later when some NEW obsession invaded my brain! The obsessions/the rituals were totally 'interchangeable' - my mind just kept 'hicupping.' It NEEDED to obsess about SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

I have lots more of this stuff to share (curiouser and curiouser )....but, for now, just wanted to add that my OCD was about 95% eliminated by Prozac. This was almost 20 years ago, and it's remained under control. So, anyone reading this....please do consider pursuing the medication route as an option for getting your life back.
    Alice

Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
    Louthedog
    (female)

Louthedog HB User

hey all,
    I think my first encounter with OCD is when I was 16.. I got my heart broken by a boy, and for some reason, late one night i was thinking about him, i started feeling "weird" and his name stuck in my head for about one solid year, just like a skipping record.. The last time hit when i was starting grad school.. for some reason another stupid word stuck in my mind ( I have no significant reason why)... but that word stayed in my mind for about a year and a half. I finally sought out some help, and was started on Luvox. I only take 50 mg a day, and I am so much better... No more skipping records... It is about enough to drive you crazy. I continued to work, but had to drop out of grad school.. I lost about 30 pounds, and slept almost continuosly.. Who would want to stay awake and listen to a skipping record all day?? Well, I am so thankful to be feeling well... and I pray for us all who suffer with this dang blasted OCD

Old 05-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
    Sari05
    Veteran
    (female)

Sari05 HB User

My rituals are: I have a obsession of washing myself.
    Also I feel that my clothes, toilet seats, and doorknobs are comtinated, I tell myself that they are clean, but my head tells me that they are not clean.
    Also sometimes I am afraid to touch faucets, because my head tells me that they are comtinated. I have bad thoughts, I have thoughts of killing my family and killing myself.
    I do want to kill my family and I don't want to kill myself, I am not that kind of a person, it drives me nuts. Also I feel like I am crazy too. Also I wash my hands alot, I wash my hands twice when I go to the bathroom, I wash them before I put laundry in the wash, I wash them before I put wash in the dryer, and also I wash my hands before I take the wash out of the dryer.

My OCD is driving me crazy, I can't stand it anymore. I am on medication,
    I am seeing a primary doctor for my medication and OCD, and also I am seeing a Psychologist for my OCD too. Also I have been reading books about OCD, talking about it really helps, and I am glad that I joined this website.
    Its nice to know that I am not the only one who has OCD, having OCD is horrible, its effecting my life. I have to check things that are locked and shut
    more than once like: I have to check to make sure the doors are locked, I have to check to make sure that the windows are shut, and I have to make sure that the lights are off more than once.

That's my OCD rituals and they are driving me crazy!!!

Old 05-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
    amy12345

amy12345 HB User

What a good thread!
    I'm not sure if I "have" ocd, or not, but I am being treated for anxiety and have lots of rituals around food. I usually have one triscuit cracker in the afternoons (never more, I'll feel too guilty), I have my bowl of cereal for snack at 3pm sharp, I measure almost everything I eat (drag out the cup measure for pasta, yogurt, cereal) and feel very anxious when I'm served a portion (at a restaurant or by my husband) and think I've gone over my "one cup rule."

Another thing I've started doing is I have to change my son's crib sheet every single day, even if he's fairly clean I can't stand putting him to bed on a "dirty" sheet. This one really drives me crazy, there is a 'tent' on the crib and changing the sheet is time consuming. Plus, it feels so strange that I must have him totally clean, which of course I can't, and shouldn't, try to control.

What a relief to write these things. I feel a little better already.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #14
    robert187
    (male)

robert187 HB User

hi my name is robert and im new to this board.i am 37 years old and have ocd most of my life..not only does it entail rituals but it also affects behavior socailly.does anyone else have social problems? like communicating with people anger? just being socially disfunctional?

Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
    yfguitarist
    (male)

yfguitarist HB User

I've never posted in this section of the boards. I think I have OCD although it's not as bad as it used to be. I'm 17. When I was in 7th grade my mom got a job, which meant I was responsible for getting up in the mornings. This led me to setting my alarm on my clock for an hour each night before I went to sleep. I would turn it off and on repeatedly until I was on the verge of tears.

At the same time I would come home and check my planner for two hours, then again before I went to bed for about 45 minutes. It was extremely difficult for me, and I spent time in prayer and told my dad and got over it.

Now my thoughts are obsessive. After I have certain conversations I'll sit in my car or pace around my room for an hour or two, replaying it back to me and repeating the same thoughts over and over, pulling at my hair. I do this before certain events as well, in preparation or in anxiety. There are traces of it still there, for instance, I still set my alarm 2 or 3 times. It's not as bad as before, though. Except in place of those things I've developed other, worse things, such as this phobia that's debilitating and irrational and won't go away no matter how many hours I spend worrying. I also have been praying but I haven't made much progress.

-Andrew

Closed Thread