It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• derealization/depersonalization?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
    batigerqt89
    (female)

batigerqt89 HB User
    derealization/depersonalization?

hello! my name is whitney and i am 15 yrs old and i have ocd and i take prozac 40 mg at bedtime every night...the prozac helps but i have something called derealization/depersonalization its where i feel like i am in a daze/dream and like i dont know whats goin on around me! i don't feel here! like i can see everything around me but i have to touch it so i will know it is there and i was wondering if anybody knows of any medication that helps with depersonalization/derealization? please help i am desperate for an answer! thank you!
    ~whitney~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
    chupa
    (female)

chupa HB User
    Re: derealization/depersonalization?

i have the exact same thing,i got it about 6 yrs ago,it stayed for yrs,then got a lot better,and now i get it here and there for weeks on end,it is a terrifying thing.i am not sure sometimes if i and/or everying else is real,but i know in my heart everything is real,its just hard to tell.they say it comes from anxiety,which i have a MASSIVE case of.i have actually heard someone on a depersonalization board say that some med helped them a bit,maybe it was klonopin,but im NOT sure,so just ask around

Old 06-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by batigerqt89
    hello! my name is whitney and i am 15 yrs old and i have ocd and i take prozac 40 mg at bedtime every night...the prozac helps but i have something called derealization/depersonalization its where i feel like i am in a daze/dream and like i dont know whats goin on around me! i don't feel here! like i can see everything around me but i have to touch it so i will know it is there and i was wondering if anybody knows of any medication that helps with depersonalization/derealization? please help i am desperate for an answer! thank you!
    ~whitney~
    Im experiencing the same thing for a little over 3years now and let me tell you I know what your going through. But dont worry you will get better. I was on prozac and then i got off that and took zoloft. Whatever you do, you need to talk to your doctor and ask him/her about klonopin. I take that 3 times a day(.5mg)and that has helped me soooo much. Right now Ive just kind of been going back and forth trying to find out what works and one thing i do know is is that klonopin works soo good for me. I love it. Yet thought im still not over it. I hope you get better. If anyone knows of any medication there taking that completly works and doesnt ever experience it let me know PLEASE!!!!Thanks

Old 06-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User

If Anyone Knows Of Any Medication That Completely Takes Away Depersonalization/derealisation Please Please Please Let Me Know Thanks Soo Much-brandon

Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chupa
    i have the exact same thing,i got it about 6 yrs ago,it stayed for yrs,then got a lot better,and now i get it here and there for weeks on end,it is a terrifying thing.i am not sure sometimes if i and/or everying else is real,but i know in my heart everything is real,its just hard to tell.they say it comes from anxiety,which i have a MASSIVE case of.i have actually heard someone on a depersonalization board say that some med helped them a bit,maybe it was klonopin,but im NOT sure,so just ask around
    Yea its def a scary thing and I know in my heart everything real also. Its just a very scary feeling. Yea I have asked around and Im still gonna ask around til i find that right med. Thanks for responding-Brandon

Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
    tiffers1978
    (female)

tiffers1978 HB User

Is this what I have? I have felt so out of it for like 4 months and it was triggered by Adjustment disorder. Will it ever go away? It does seem to be better. I'm on Zoloft and Seroquel for anxiety. Klonopin helps???

Old 06-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
    russainwolf03
    (male)

russainwolf03 HB User

Hey guys i too suffer from derealization/disassociation and i was prescribed risperdal for my racing thoughts and it didnt make it go away completly but compared to having to deal with it 24/7 down to 2 to 3 times a day. I def noticed a difference and just recently started it so it'll probably get even better to the point where it'll hopefully go away! But yeah def talk to your dr about that cuz risperdal is an anti-psychotic but is been used alot in small doses for sever anxity/panic disorders. Good luck to you all and wish the best health to you all!! Laterz

Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
    tiffers1978
    (female)

tiffers1978 HB User

So is depersonalization a manifestation of anxiety or is it a seperate illness?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiffers1978
    Is this what I have? I have felt so out of it for like 4 months and it was triggered by Adjustment disorder. Will it ever go away? It does seem to be better. I'm on Zoloft and Seroquel for anxiety. Klonopin helps???
    Yess Klonopin Helps Alot for me. I take 3pills a day each pill is .5mg. Ask your doctor but I totally recommend it. How does Seroquel help for you? Does it work good?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiffers1978
    Yess Def Klonopin helps. For me anyway. I would ask your doctor about it first but i dont see why he/she wouldnt let you try it. It works very well for me. P.S.-Sorry it took so long to respond. And yes you will get better. Thousands of people have this your not the only one. GoodLuck!!

Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by russainwolf03
    Hey guys i too suffer from derealization/disassociation and i was prescribed risperdal for my racing thoughts and it didnt make it go away completly but compared to having to deal with it 24/7 down to 2 to 3 times a day. I def noticed a difference and just recently started it so it'll probably get even better to the point where it'll hopefully go away! But yeah def talk to your dr about that cuz risperdal is an anti-psychotic but is been used alot in small doses for sever anxity/panic disorders. Good luck to you all and wish the best health to you all!! Laterz
    Hey man My name is Brandon and my biggest thing i suffer from is dereaization. If you could PLEASE let me know how Risperdal helps you with Derealization I would SO MUCH appreciate it. Thanks Again....Brandon

Old 06-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
    russainwolf03
    (male)

russainwolf03 HB User

Hey Brandon, i honestly dont know how it helps me all i know is that i told my doc about it and he prescribed me Risperdal and the feeling of being withdrawn from your body or feeling like your just not where your supposed be is not as bad as it is without risperdal. Before i took risperdal i would have that feeling 24/7 no joke i would freak out every minute and never leave my room, it was that bad now it only happens maybe 2-3 times a day and for about 10-20 minutes and then i either forget about it or it goes away it kinda hard to exaplin but it def does help with that feeling and racing thoughts. One thing i dont like about it is when you take you it'll knock you out so its best to take it at night but when i wake up i just feel all retarded kinda like a zombie but hey you might not have that effect but as for me i rather have the retarded feeling than the derealization/disassociated feeling. Hang in there buddy and good luck to you

Old 07-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
    GoingNutz
    (male)

GoingNutz HB User
    Unhappy I have NO idea what's wrong with me

Hey there everyone, I'm pretty new to this health board but I'm having a really hard time lately, here's my story, about 3 months ago I went out drinking one night, woke up with a really bad hangover, and every since that day I haven't felt the same. It's as if there's a light fog over my eyes, and my eyes are sensitive to the sunlight, everything looks so unreal because of it, I find that the further distance I look the more disturbing it is, and same with trees and it feels as if my emotions aren't attached anymore, everyonce in awhile when I think about it my ears feel pressured up, and there's a tingling sensation too.... do you all have these symptoms? I just wanna know what's wrong with me, that's why I'm making this post... is it possible to get dr/dp from drinking, and will it ever go away... or does this sound like another problem.... I went to a few doctors but they think I'm nuts, I ask them about brain damage, anything that comes to mind.....blahhhh.... it's making me so depressed, I'm usually a social butterfly, and loved to work... but this is killing me.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #14
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

Is derealization/depersonalization dangerous?
    Can it harm you physically?

thanks
    -Angela

Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
    bschad2
    (male)

bschad2 HB User
    Re: I have NO idea what's wrong with me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoingNutz
    Hey there everyone, I'm pretty new to this health board but I'm having a really hard time lately, here's my story, about 3 months ago I went out drinking one night, woke up with a really bad hangover, and every since that day I haven't felt the same. It's as if there's a light fog over my eyes, and my eyes are sensitive to the sunlight, everything looks so unreal because of it, I find that the further distance I look the more disturbing it is, and same with trees and it feels as if my emotions aren't attached anymore, everyonce in awhile when I think about it my ears feel pressured up, and there's a tingling sensation too.... do you all have these symptoms? I just wanna know what's wrong with me, that's why I'm making this post... is it possible to get dr/dp from drinking, and will it ever go away... or does this sound like another problem.... I went to a few doctors but they think I'm nuts, I ask them about brain damage, anything that comes to mind.....blahhhh.... it's making me so depressed, I'm usually a social butterfly, and loved to work... but this is killing me.
    This is EXACTLY how mine started. I went out drinking and the next day i had a really bad hangover. Ive been to psychiatrists to doctors and what it is is just Anxiety. Trust me i thought i was dying the first time i got this. I had no clue what was going on. Sometimes I would have it for 2weeks straight and couldnt do anything. I couldnt even watch tv cause i thought everything was fake. But now when i drink and get too drunk is when i get it so i know alcohol causes mine. My doc said its proli just a phase im going through and that i'll grow out of it. So just remember anytime you start feeling weird or whatever that its just a real bad case of anxiety and that it cant hurt you although u do feel like u r dying or w/e. It Cannot Hurt you just remember that. Im taking Klonopin and Cymbalta. I take Klonopin 3times a day each pill is .5mg and I take Cymbalta once a day and that is 40mg. Ask your doctor and see what they think. Dont Worry Hang in there..U will be Fine..and just remember thousands of ppl have what you have and im one of them

Closed Thread