It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Paranoia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
    sobs
    (female)

sobs HB User
    Paranoia?

Is paranoia part of OCD???????

For instance........everytime when I'm done on my computer, I have to run a virus scan and pest patrol. Both run constantly while I'm on my computer, of course, but I'm paranoid that they may have missed something.

I worry sometimes - well, alot - about my phone being tapped/bugged. I do laugh at that though............thinking of the poor person having the job to listen to my phone conversations. B-O-R-I-N-G

It seems paranoia may go hand in hand with OCD.......

the counting.....and if you don't, the paranoia that something bad will happen. I have read many things like that, but have not seen the word "paranoid" used. Maybe it's the chicken and egg scenario.

I'm a handwasher, and germaphobic, although, germaphobic may be the wrong phobia. I am not afraid of getting sick from germs. I just can't stand to touch anything that someone else has touched, which pretty much includes everything, and please don't touch me! Or, God help me if someone coughs near me. I freak out over their "cough" landing on me, but it is not related to worrying about getting sick. I think it's more of a "cooties" thing. I do have a germ related phobia of meat contaminating other food items in the grocery cart. If I have to buy meat for my father, I cannot get my wipes or disinfectant out fast enough.

As usual, I've gotten off topic. Sorry.

Does anyone out there who goes for therapy, or has read a lot about OCD, know if paranoia is part of OCD?

Does anyone know?

sobs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User
    Re: Paranoia?

No, paranoia is not a part of OCD. The only disorders I know of that paranoia exists in, is schizophrenia and manic depression.

This doesn't mean to say though that you have either of these disorders. It sounds to me more like you have obsessions, and that you are confusing them with paranoia. Being paranoid (in the clinical sense) contains feelings of persecution. For example instead of not wanting to get someone's cooties, paranoia would have you believing that those people were out to PURPOSELY GIVE you cooties.

Sounds to me like you have obsessions and intrusive thoughts.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
    sobs
    (female)

sobs HB User

Thanks for the wonderful explanation. I think my "paranoia" over my computer stems from how forever it took me to get a new one, and not wanting anythign to happen to it.

I had never heard paranoia explained the way you did, and it makes much more sense.

Thanks a lot!
    sobs

Old 08-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

You are very welcome. I understand your computer obsessions completely as I also have to constantly "clean" mine and am forever running all sorts of programs to keep it "healthy", lol. One time I even went so far as to go into my files, deleting anything that looked fishy. I ended up deleting Windows!!!!! Cost me a bundle to have it all repaired and I STILL can't shake this one.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
    percan
    (female)

percan HB User

Oh my gosh, Sobs, I've been reading this board for quite a while waiting for someone to show up with an obsession like mine - cooties! That's exactly what it is for me. Sure I'll use a wipe after shaking hands with someone with a cold, but my obsession about germs is way less than just general "other people cooties." (I do have the raw meat fear, too, but since I rarely buy meat that's not a problem.)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for writing about that. At first it was really hard to describe my obsession, then it was actually my husband who coined it "cooties."

Percan

Old 08-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
    sobs
    (female)

sobs HB User

Percan,

Cooties is the only thing I could come up with to explain my "weirdness". One example.....I would get the mail and could not wait until I went through it to go wash my hands. BUT, after some of it sat around "my" place for a while, I could touch it and not have the horrible feeling of needing to wash my hands. It was like everyone elses cooties had faded away, and only mine were on it now. Another one......same type thing............if I bought a magazine at the store, couldn't read/touch it for the first few days without dying to wash my hands. But, once it had been here awhile, and "my" cooties were on it, I could sit and read it.

Is that what you mean? I may start a thread regarding "cooties", because I find the behavior really odd, considering I wash my hand a bazillion times a day.

You also mentioned rarely buying meat. Are you a veggie??? I am, and have been for a long time, but am really having a hard time getting enough protein lately. I used to depend on eggs for my protein, but my cholesteral is high, so I've cut out eggs. I hate the taste of the powder proteins. Any ideas???

sobs

Old 08-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
    percan
    (female)

percan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sobs
    Percan,

Cooties is the only thing I could come up with to explain my "weirdness". One example.....I would get the mail and could not wait until I went through it to go wash my hands. BUT, after some of it sat around "my" place for a while, I could touch it and not have the horrible feeling of needing to wash my hands. It was like everyone elses cooties had faded away, and only mine were on it now. Another one......same type thing............if I bought a magazine at the store, couldn't read/touch it for the first few days without dying to wash my hands. But, once it had been here awhile, and "my" cooties were on it, I could sit and read it.

Is that what you mean? I may start a thread regarding "cooties", because I find the behavior really odd, considering I wash my hand a bazillion times a day.

You also mentioned rarely buying meat. Are you a veggie??? I am, and have been for a long time, but am really having a hard time getting enough protein lately. I used to depend on eggs for my protein, but my cholesteral is high, so I've cut out eggs. I hate the taste of the powder proteins. Any ideas???

sobs
    I have a BIG problem with mail and have to wash my hands immediately after going through it. But yes, once it's been around the house awhile, I can touch it since my own cooties have overtaken! Weird isn't it? It's certainly not a germ thing because I'm not thinking about germs on the mail, I know most germs can't live more than a few minutes on the outside. It's just the "other people cooties." And when I think about the days way back in school when I would use textbooks that had been through who knows how many students hands, and never ever gave it a second thought! Wish I could get that mentality back.

Funny how OCD has its own rules. I could eat out in a restaurant and touch a menu that many have touched and not have to wash my hands. But mail - ick!

I actually was a veggie, and became quite anemic. So I brought meat back into my diet, just not very much of it, maybe once a month, and I only eat it in restaurants - I don't cook it, so that's why I'm never buying meat. I get most of my protein from fish (though I guess if you're a total veggie fish is on the out list as well), nuts provide alot of protein as well as omega-3 which is good for too many things to mention (even anxiety which is part of OCD). Dairy products - cheese - do you eat that - will also provide protein. Peanut butter is supposedly a very good protein source, but I don't eat that (too much fat and too many calories.)

One other question - what about clothes? If you brush up against someone, do you have to wash the piece of clothing? I do. And again, not because they might give me a disease, just cooties.

Interesting to see if anyone else responds to your other thread, cause you are the only other person I've ever heard from who had the non-germ washing thing.

Percan

Old 08-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
    sobs
    (female)

sobs HB User

Yep..........all of that sounds so familiar. I do have to wash my clothes......TWICE, at least.

And, when I used to eat out, I did go wash my hands after ordering, even though it really seemed in vain. Can't eat out now. Too freaked out about everyone "contaminating" my food............or the food being bad.

I do eat dairy products, but I don't think I can eat enough to fill my protein needs. Someone suggested soy milk. Did you ever try that? Sounds wonderful...not. I think bad food is one of my obsessions. I cannot stand to eat food that I haven't had control of. And, are expiration dates the best.........for the food company!?!! I cannot drink milk on it's last day. I throw out a lot of "expired" foods. I know it's wasteful,,,,but cannot help it.

I had to go to the store today, and 2 people sneezed real near me, and I had to hold my breath until I got dizzy. Again, I'm not afraid of getting a cold. I just don't want sneeze spoot on me!!!!!!! This is really getting so bad, that I can't go out. I think I'm going to have to start wearing my "dust" mask when I go out.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User

wow that is so funny about the mail and magazines because i do that to!
    i always have to wash my hands after getting the mail or reading it. i didnt start with this obsession until that anthrax scare a while ago.. at that time it made alot of sense to me... but now its just seems stupid to me but i cant stop doing it.. i also must wash my hands after touching money.. it just feels dirty and gritty.. but i guess that obsession really isnt a bad one to have because money has been proven to be filthy..
    yet i can go out work on the car or in the yard be covered in oil/dirt not wash my hands and think nothing of picking up food and stuffing it in my mouth.. thats what i find weird..

lol sobs i do that to when people sneeze or cough around me in public.. not until i get dizzy but until i feel like i have held it long enough and not in the sneeze germ zone anymore... i do it because i am afraid of getting a cold.. i hate being sick..

Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
    chris1010
    (male)

chris1010 HB User

I have paranoia and some thoughts of persecution, but I have been told by three or four mental health professionals that it is part of OCD for me. Here's a link to a short article: http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/ocd/a/ocds.htm

Old 08-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

I'm not sure if it's a part of OCD or not. I have paranoia (but I have major depression with psychotic features). Some of mine stems from the OCD though. Like if I don't do something just right (like check the locks 3 times before I got to bed) then I think someone's going to break in the house. So, I can see where some of the paranoia is linked with the OCD. And with the touching things that others have touched...oh yeah, that's a biggie. It's gotten to the point where I have to have hand sanitizer with me constantly.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
    sobs
    (female)

sobs HB User

Can we all say...................Thank God for wipes and hand sanitizer!!!?!?!?!!?

Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #13
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

My psychologist actually told me I had 'mild paranoia'. I'm not so sure about that...I think it's more social anxiety, really. I don't THINK I have schizophrenia or mania! I do have OCD. My paranoia would be thinking I hear people talk about me behind my back, or thinking that certain people don't like me, and thinking that people are watching and criticizing every move I make or word I say. Those things aren't that bizarre. When I was younger I had an odd belief that my parents were watching me through an invisible hole in the bathroom door. Now that is quite paranoid...but that was when I was like, 9, and I haven't had any weird thoughts like that since.

PS. You said it, Sobs

Last edited by Blue102; 08-10-2005 at 06:45 AM.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #14
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It really depends on the paranoia that you're experiencing. Classic paranoid schizophrenics believe that the government is putting thoughts into their mind via the radio or television and other things along these lines. However, if you're thinking, "What if someone poisoned my dinner when they prepared it? I shouldn't eat it because their dirty hands poisoned it," this is common in OCD. Usually the only OCD-related "paranoia" is related to obsessive cleanliness, as seen in Howard Hughes who also experienced paranoia...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread