HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   Luvox for Obsessive Thoughts (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/360195-luvox-obsessive-thoughts.html)

octoberbride 01-25-2006 09:22 AM

Luvox for Obsessive Thoughts

Hi - I have just been diagnosed with obsessive thoughts. I constantly see images of animals being mutilated and tortuted and dying. I have insomnia which is when most of these images just race through my head and I can't stop them. They are also always present - at work, at my wedding reception - everywhere. It sounds crazy talking about it and even typing it. I've never told anyone until I told my wonderful new dr. yesterday.

He is going to start me on Luvox along with doing behavior therapy. I am worried about starting Luvox. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

StitchCarver 01-25-2006 04:15 PM

Re: Luvox for Obsessive Thoughts

Hi Octoberbride.

First off, good job for seeking help with a Dr. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. Most people they can do things on their own. I've had, and still have bouts of "obessive thoughts." Sometimes it's like my brain is lflipping through the channels of a TV that only plays horrible things, and it won't give me the remote. It's like I'm forced to watch it. The subject matter varies from the hurtful or disturbing, to everyday worries that won't shut off.
I've been in psychotherapy for four years and take meds, and those "bouts" of obsessive thoughts are fewer and farther between.

So hey, just wanted to say, you're not alone, for sure, if there's one thing certain, you're not alone:) Kudos on the behavior therapy, stick with it:)

As far as Luvox, hmmm, I'm a Lexapro guy, never taken Luvox, but I believe they do the same thing. BUT, here are some things to think about:

1. Taking mind meds is for crazy people. Yeah, no. If part of you worry involves the stigma of mind meds, then you know what, that's fine. It's a legitimate worry, it's scary, it was one of the biggest things I had to get over, and talked in length with my therapist about it, until I finally was brave enough to go see a Dr.
2. All SSRI's work differently with different people.
3. Some are better for certain things than others. Although this could be contested. I personally think they don't really know. And you just gotta try.
4. Side effects: Ya know what, you might get them, you might not. For me, side effects were higher when I first started. Within a month or so, I don't even know if they exist or not. Maybe they don't, maybe I don't realize them, either way, not a problem.
5. You may find yourself trying different meds to find the one that works. It is totally common to do that. No worries there.
6. OPINION: I will say, that I am a firm believer in therapy plus meds. I really don't know if meds would help without therapy in this situation.
7. My sister-in-law makes fun of my Uncle because he takes mind meds, but she doesn't know I take them too. And she could seriously use them. True story.

Long story short. You rule, and I say that because I know how absolutely aweful it is to have obessive thoughts. Hang in there.

dgcango 01-25-2006 04:57 PM

I am taking Luvox and it has helped my symptoms TREMENDOUSLY! Please talk to your pychiatrist about what to expect in the beginning when taking Luvox. I started out on 100mg of Luvox and just recently went up to 200mg and it made a hugh difference. It will take around 3 weeks for you to notice a theraputic effect. I am 29 and never had obessive thoughts until 4 months ago. It sucked but you will get better. Luvox does work.

Ask your psych for xanax when you feel the anxious thoughts coming on. On my bad days I do the compulsion of thinking agood thought to ease my anxiety and me me feel better. you will know that Luvox is working when the urge to do the compulsion dissappears.

Try reading a book on OCD before bed time and it will make you feel better.

Finally, I say this to myself over and over again---i am not my ocd thoughts---but somedays are harder than others. Dont feel bad about yourself.

No one would ever guess that I have OCD. Have you talked to your fiancee? My wife knows and it helps me when I talk about it with her.

I hope your therapy goes well!!

D :)

octoberbride 01-26-2006 12:43 PM

Thanks for the responses. It feels good just to finally talk about it and have people understand. My psychiatrist - I love him - I spent 2 hours with him during my first appointment. I have seen 3 others in my lifetime and they are all hacks compared to this guy. I trust him; I will listen to him and I won't give up. I'm nervous about the Luvox, but I need to have an open mind. I don't have a stigma about mind meds, I just never thought I'd find myself on them. I am already trying to lose about 20 pounds-I'm worried about weight gain. I also am a newlywed and dont' want sexual side effects - I can only hope for the best.

I told my husband everything the other night. I cried the whole time. He looked at my like I was crazy- well not really, but that was my perception, I guess I'm overly sensitive about it. He just said "can't you just quit thinking about it?" He doesn't get it - I wish it were that easy. I would love to turn off my thoughts and just have a peaceful calm mind, but I can't. He is supportive, but I think it's hard for him to understand.

Thanks for the responses. I go back to the dr. next Wednesday and will be starting the Luvox then. Currently, I am enjoying Ambien and finally getting some much-needed sleep.

Good luck everyone.

dgcango 01-27-2006 10:33 AM

Your husband will me miffed in the beginning because I was not able to deal with this in the beginning. There is a book written by a psychiatrist named Ian Osborn "Tormenting thoughts and secret rituals" who has OCD. I read the book and was like wow what a brave book and it described everything I went through. You need to get this book and read it with your husband so that you can gain more knowledge and will help you not feel bad about yourself. Your husband will then in-turn be more supportive because he will understand what it is that you are going through and that you are not crazy.

Weight gain---You can cut weight gain but cutting caffeine and exercising and eating lots of fruits. The sexual side effects for me are noticable but you want to make sure you are making daily strides. Everyone has Obessions its just that sometimes they dont clear and they ruminate which causes you to emotionalize them. This happens to me too.

StitchCarver 01-27-2006 01:22 PM

I think that's so cool that you found a doctor you like. People don't always find the right doctor at first. YEah, my fiancee gets what I go through, we're both diagnosed mild OCD/ADD, but I go a bit beyond her with my outrageous thought and fears. So sometimes she kinda loses me when I'm explaining things. What matters is that your significant other is caring and understanding when you're stressed out. I don't expect my fiancee to understand things as deeply as I do. (as you progress through therapy, you'll really start to understand things)

But hey, good luck, you've totally taken a step in the right direction.

givemeadvice 01-28-2006 10:02 AM

Hi

Wow it is nice to see someone with the same obsessive thoughts as me! Well i take 80 of prozac and it seems to help me fight back tobessive thoughts about animals. But sometimes once in a while i will come up on a real life case of animal torture or mutilation and it will totally eat me out alive but its short lived and it does pass on faster and does not dwell with me for weeks and weeks like it use to. But the sensativity is still there its just hidden

givemeadvice 01-28-2006 10:05 AM

PS if you are concerned about weight gain please talk to your doctor about prozac it is tested and approved for OCD as well and u wont gain weight on it. I was taking paxil and i kept gaining weight he switched me to prozac and i lost it!

dgold 01-28-2006 10:19 AM

Luvox is a good OCD drug. and tends to work well on most people. Too bad it did not work for me.
Luvox is a clean drug and is much more popular in Europe than U.S.

octoberbride 01-30-2006 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the support everyone. Last night I watched a show "The Emotional Life of Farm Animals" and became so obsessed and upset for the entire night and still am. Why do I watch these shows? I feel I have to, I can't explain it. I cried so hard for hours and didn't sleep at all. It's not a good day. I see my dr. in 2 days and will start Luvox. I hope it works. It's kinda ruining my life. Today, I am not working at all - I have no concentration. Best to everyone.

givemeadvice 01-30-2006 01:58 PM

wow sound so much like me. I cried for hours and hours also after an animal abuse show that i watched. Now if i ever happen to cross it i just leave the room right away.

givemeadvice 01-30-2006 02:01 PM

I also find i am somtimes way to protective over my pets to the point where i have blown up and kicked out a family member who called my dog an animal. Thank god these meds have taught me some common sense.

Therag 03-05-2006 05:56 AM

I get the same type of thoughts. They dont make sense. I keep picturing the worst scenario's in my head, like this morning in bed I kept getting thoughts of dying in a car crash, and not having a chance to say goodbye to my family. I also worry about my cat's being run over by a car.

haleysmum 04-18-2006 07:12 PM

Hi there, I too am interested to hear of others experience taking Luvox. I have been on it now for 8 days, taking 50 mg a night. I am in the process of changing from mirtazapine ( remeron ). I was eating like a wild animal which I cant afford to do due to my diabeties so we ( my shrink and I ) decided to change to the Luvox. I went up to 100 mg last night and woke up with a shocking headache. Is this normal ?? I am really hoping to get a positive response to the Luvox. I had started to come good on the remeron, but then we tried to ween me off of them so I could start the Luvox ( a few weeks back ) and my anxiety came back as bad as ever :( So I am now down to 15 mg of remeron and 100 mg of Luvox and then eventually will take me completely off of the remeron. Probably in a week when I see my doc again. I dont know if he thinks I have OCD, I was originally having the most terrible anxiety attack. Was absolutely convinced I am dying ( had just about every test know to man done ). It had started to improve for a while there, but is back again pretty bad. Hopefully it wont take long for the luvox to kick in :angel: Does anyone know when that should happen ? Anyway to the original poster, so far I cant say I have had any major side effects so far. Maybe more headaches , occasionally very slight nausea and a dry mouth, but hopefully these will go in the next couple of weeks. I too was terrified to start the luvox. It took my doc a month to get me to take the remeron and almost that long to change me to the luvox. Another of my anxieties is taking medication and their side effects so I know EXACTLY how you feel :( Anyway let us know how you go and I too will keep you informed :)