It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• "HELP unwanted thoughts when I read"Am I losing my mind

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
    Unhappy "HELP unwanted thoughts when I read"Am I losing my mind

hello guys, I am not sure what is going on with me for the past 2 weeks i hae been having unwanted obsessive thoughts, i do have OCD but it never really gave me this kind of trouble, i mean everytime i am reading the bible or any other book but especially the bible, i start having violent and sexual thoughts, its horrible anyway i started celexa and the sexual thoughts subsided, but were replaced with violent thoughts and I let panic attacks everytime i remeber the thoughts and of course then they start again! its like i make them come back by thinking about them.

its horrible i read online that you should say STOP out loud and that it should help, but everytime i say stop it seems like my brain keeps going.... or it will stop and then continue, I dont know what to do i am on 10mg of celexa i will up ot to 20 mg i just hope it helps, because it has given me really bad memory loss, but the OCD thoughts are still there and are driving me insane, i try turning on my Tv and listening to music anything to distract my mind, they really get worst when i try to read or when i am alone, i admitted the thoughts to my husband and he inderstands but it was very hard. what advice do you guys have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
    Tyguy781
    (male)

Tyguy781 HB User
    Re: "HELP unwanted thoughts when I read"Am I losing my mind

Although these thoughts are horrible and upsetting to think about, they are considered normal. However, when they start sticking with you, thats when it becomes obsessive, in your case. You need to know that although the thoughts are awful, you are not a bad person because of it. If Selexa doesnt seem to be doing the trick, there are alot of other meds you can try. Whenever you find yourself obsessing, dont waste any time worrying about it, just know that nothing you are doing makes you an evil or bad person.....

Sorry if im not a ton of help, but I had the dame problem and that seemed to help me...

Old 02-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi i wanted to tell you that i was going through alot last week with those crazy thoughts i even increased my celexa and then one night i broke down and asked god for help, anyway that night
    i had a dream that god spoke to me and told me to rationalize things and to do the following

he said to answer to those thoughts, and either in your head or out loud answer to them, for instance, when you have a violent thought about someone you love just say "why would i hurt my mom if i love her so very much and she is so good to me"
    and so on, everytime you get a bad thought dont just go into a panic and cry like I used to do, and speak up to your mind, and say things like, no way would i hurt my loved one, i love them too much and i am no criminal, reassure yourself that your ok and that you wont act on that, its just the OCD, guys this has helped me soooo much! I mean I no longer have them for 3 days so far
    thanks god, because i really thought i was going to lose my mind,

please try it that what has helped me enormously this has happened to me 2 times in 6 months and till now I was not able to control myself, i would start crying and go into panic, oh another thing that you do is go ahead and hug that person when you have these thoughts, tell them you love them that helps alot too. i hope that by god helping me find the solution to these bad thoughts that you guys can benefit from it too,

Old 02-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
    Therag
    Veteran
    (male)

Therag HB User

Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I also get this problem, I always have thoughts going through my head constantly, the same thoughts over and over everyday all day. It sometimes stops me from sleeping, and when I get tired these thoughts get worse. I end up tired and depressed. I wish I knew how to get rid of this problem, but I dont sorry. I just want you to know that you are not alone with this problem, and I hope this message board will be a help to you.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
    linkin01
    (male)

linkin01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennyVee
    Hi i wanted to tell you that i was going through alot last week with those crazy thoughts i even increased my celexa and then one night i broke down and asked god for help, anyway that night
    i had a dream that god spoke to me and told me to rationalize things and to do the following

he said to answer to those thoughts, and either in your head or out loud answer to them, for instance, when you have a violent thought about someone you love just say "why would i hurt my mom if i love her so very much and she is so good to me"
    and so on, everytime you get a bad thought dont just go into a panic and cry like I used to do, and speak up to your mind, and say things like, no way would i hurt my loved one, i love them too much and i am no criminal, reassure yourself that your ok and that you wont act on that, its just the OCD, guys this has helped me soooo much! I mean I no longer have them for 3 days so far
    thanks god, because i really thought i was going to lose my mind,

please try it that what has helped me enormously this has happened to me 2 times in 6 months and till now I was not able to control myself, i would start crying and go into panic, oh another thing that you do is go ahead and hug that person when you have these thoughts, tell them you love them that helps alot too. i hope that by god helping me find the solution to these bad thoughts that you guys can benefit from it too,
    What you describe makes sense to me. You are not the thoughts, they are not you. They are just thoughts. The fear that they might be right or make you do crazy things, the fear is what gives them power.

Some of the kindest peopel I know, who are meditators, say that when they started paying attention to their thoughts they were shocking. The nicest people have downright shocking thoughts. "The mind has no shame," they say.

Mike

Last edited by linkin01; 02-17-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HI Mike, and yes i have to agree the mind has no shame at all,

I am so thankful that we at least can share these things on here, since most people dont share those kind of thoughts with anyone,so at least we know we are not alone, even my husband who doesnt have OCD tells me he has very strange and violent thoughts at times, but he says he doesnt pay attention to them, he always tells me just because your having the thought doesnt mean you will act on it, I guess that's what alot of people fear, but we really have to understand that its just a thought, and like you said everyone has these kind of thoughts, but most dont know how to handle it and go into panic.

Closed Thread