It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Pure 0 nasty thoughts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
    Very Green
    (female)

Very Green HB User
    Pure 0 nasty thoughts

Hi everyone. My partner may have pure O, and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? Throughout all of his past, he has had the compulsion to reveal everything about himself to his partners, even his thoughts at all times. This isn't too bad, but everytime he tries to hide his thoughts he feels guilty and gets irritable, then when he reveals them (or actions he feels were wrong) he then seems to feel worthless, and seeks reassurance that he is not a bad guy. On top of this, he constantly thinks about peoples pasts (only his partners, not friends etc). He obsesses about his partners' pasts, and therefore is now obsessed with mine. He asks about past partners, then gets hung up about them, and also jealous of them, he can't seem to break the train of thought, and says he fights it constantly. Anything can set off the thought train, something someone says, an advert on TV, a movie etc. He says he keeps trying to fight off the thoughts, but they won't go away, and he ends up with these thoughts going round and round his head. He says he tries to fight them by trying to apply logical solutions and rationilze(s)? them, but they wont leave him alone. He gets very anxious about it. He also tries to talk about them, but he says it doesn't help. He also has constant thoughts that i will turn out to be some-one different to who he thinks I am, that at some point he will get shock news about my past that will show him I have lied about who I am. I have tried to reassure him this isn't the case, but he can't shake that anxiety. He also believed this of ex-partners when with them.
    Could anybody give me some information about this? Does this sound like pure O? I feel I am a little in the dark with this.
    P.S. When these thoughts are occuring, he constantly strokes and pulls at his eyebrows. He is also having mood swings, but right now the most common mood is depression.

TTFN

Thank you all for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: Pure 0 nasty thoughts

It definitely sounds like pure obsessional OCD to me. I'm a pure obsessional, and this is the first description on here where I've seen someone do the same thing I used to do: confess all of the "bad thoughts." When you try to keep them in, you feel guilt, and then when you DO reveal them, you feel as if everyone else doesn't care or is disgusted, and you wish you could've just kept it to yourself in the first place, but of course, you can't since it's a compulsion. There's really not much advice that I can give since I think you've got the problem pinpointed. He should definitely get on an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor), a type of anti-depressant proven to help with OCD, and you could try CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), but neither one are guaranteed to work due to the fact that he's a pure obsessional. That subset is the hardest to treat, and neither medication nor CBT helped with mine. I'm a classic "waxer-waner," which most pure obsessionals are, meaning that I'll go for several months without any obsessions at all (this past February/March to about this June), go for several months with moderate obsessions (this June to the present), and then have a complete OCD breakdown (last August to this January). I also have Asperger's, so that complicates things, mostly knowing where my anxiety comes from. I've been labeled as a "moving target" because my obsessions change so often. The only other thing that I can think to tell you is that your boyfriend has what I consider the worst type of OCD. It is the type that nobody knows about, the type that has little overt compulsions so nobody suspects it's OCD, the type that nobody understands as OCD so they think he's just making it up to get pity and special treatment. I had a hell of a time convincing the people I love that I had something wrong with me, and I still have a hell of a time when I tell people (and, yes, I tell many because I'm not ashamed of it, and I believe in mental illness awareness, most likely because I'm going into neuropsychiatric research) like friends because I can hide it well, and they don't know what goes on inside my brain- they only see my quirkiness on the outside. Even when I had a complete breakdown this past fall after going to college because I had to deal with a roommate, my roommate didn't even really know anything was wrong until she saw how bad I was one night, even though she knew from the first day that I had OCD. (Thankfully, I never have to have a roommate ever again...) It's typical in pure obsessionals for any little, seemingly insignificant thing on TV or in print to set off the "bad thoughts." I have learned to avoid what I know will definitely make me obsess. (This is probably a form of compulsive avoidance, but it needs to be done.) For example, I would never, and I mean never, watch a movie like The Exorcism of Emily Rose because I have blasphemous obsessions, and I know that the two would not make a good combination. I was watching something about a year ago, and they mentioned something about the old version of The Exorcist, and it combined both my sexual and blasphemous thoughts. Not fun. I heard something sexual OJ Simpson said on some Dateline-esque show when I was 11 1/2, when my OCD was just becoming full-blown, and I heard that for about three years, on-and-off. Irritability will be common- he can't control the thoughts, he doesn't want to have the thoughts, and he feels like nobody understands what he's going through, which is an appropriate feeling because not many do, not even many other OCD-ers. You seem to be doing an excellent job researching this, and don't beat yourself up that you're "in the dark" about pure obsessional OCD- almost everybody is... Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
    Very Green
    (female)

Very Green HB User

Have just purchased some PuraEPA omega 3 capsules. I have read some research on it after hearing them mentioned on this board. It would appear they are useful in helping with bipolar, OCD, depression. They contain NO HDA. Do you know anything about them? He was taking an SSRI but came off them after a few weeks. He does not agree with taking medication, so will not consider it.
    He is also be bipolar, so this is a fun ride, or could it be that the Pure O symptoms have mimiced bipolar? Confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou for your reply gatsby.

TTFN

Question 1: Do these puraEPA capsules work?
    Question 2: Is the Pure O mimicing bipolar, or has the Pure O brought on depression? (he has been depressed for a while now)

Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't know anything about the capsules because I'm not a follower of alternative/holistic medicines and treatments, but if he's against medication, then they may be worth a try. I will say that, in my opinion, anyone who is bipolar absolutely MUST be on a mood stabilizer to prevent mania. Do you know if he's bipolar I or II? Bipolar I's are the ones that need to be on medication... under any circumstances. Pure "O" symptoms do not mimic bipolar disorder; OCD-ers are often more prone to depression (I'm not depressed, though), and it is thought that the two are very closely linked. More likely, his OCD has worsened his depression because of the feelings of guilt and worthlessness, but he would've become depressed whether he had OCD or not because he has a mood disorder in the first place. I'm a firm believer in psychiatric medications when necessary, but I respect the opinions of those people like your boyfriend who are against the idea; however, the bipolar disorder most likely needs to be treated with medication. If it was purely unipolar depression, then I wouldn't be pushing the medication aspect nearly as much. You might want to post on the bipolar board and see if anyone on there has had success with natural treatments. As for the OCD, he should consider trying therapy because it doesn't involve medication whatsoever. Also, OCD is miserable and hellish, but it isn't nearly as serious a condition as bipolar disorder, and he could learn through therapy how to deal with his obsessions and not need to do a compulsion afterwards. Again, it may not work as well since he's a pure obsessional, but at least he could learn the techniques and cope without medication. Write back soon!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-07-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
    Skip Service
    (male)

Skip Service HB User

I have Pure O too .. it stinks!

I was'nt sure before coz i used to do few physical compulsive behavior due to those thoughts & other times i just used to solve the quiz in my mind or both .. so i took it like i have both pura o and Obsessive "COMPULSIVE" disorder .. but thats not the case !!

As you mentioned that a person with pure o may or may not perform few compulsive behaviors .. i definately am a pure o And , as you mentioned they go through episodes.. I don't know what happen to me .. i just lose total control .. and other times i'am just comfortable , having fun .. not even remember i have Pure O/OCD.. this is really stupid

Old 07-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skip Service- Pure "O" is just a subset of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, but if you are a pure obsessional, you simply have OCD, the pure obsessional type. Even most pure "O's" have compulsions, though they are almost always mental compulsions such as praying, counting, or repeating phrases in one's head to "neutralize" the obsession, or the "counter-image," which is changing a "bad" image to a "good" one, such as pulling out a knife from someone if you saw yourself stabbing them. However, it is possible, though rare, for some pure obsessionals to not have any compulsions whatsoever. Anyway, you're another prime example of someone who has OCD, but never thought they did because of the lack of such compulsions as handwashing and checking locks/stoves...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-08-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
    Skip Service
    (male)

Skip Service HB User

i used to do repetitive checking before !!

Can we do something about the hyperactivity we have?? i really get ambitious and restless

Old 07-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
    Very Green
    (female)

Very Green HB User

Well, not much to report. I don't know if the PuraEPA capsules will work or not, as he hasn't taken more than two since Friday I think. We had a massive argument this weekend, and his mood has dipped back down to rock bottom. Im intrigued by the last post that mentioned ambition and restlessness. My partner also gets grandiose ideas when he's in a 'up' mood, buys things, makes big plans, but these disappear when he dips back down again. Is this also OCD?
    He has not yet been given an official bipolar diagnosis, as his therapist is still trying to unravel everything. And i have been posting on the bipolar boards! In fact Gatsby, i think you have replied to a couple of my posts (and very nicely if I remember correctly ). It is only recently i have stumbled across OCD and pure O. Feel like I am drowning at the moment.

TTFN

Old 07-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Grandiose plans (or delusions if it's full-blown mania), increased plans and activity, and shopping sprees are all signs of (hypo)mania. None of this relates to OCD. The grandiosity, especially, is classic (hypo)mania.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #10
    Very Green
    (female)

Very Green HB User

Thank you for the information. I suspect that means I am dealing with a Pure O bipolar. Wonderful. Does life get any better?!

TTFN

Old 07-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
    Skip Service
    (male)

Skip Service HB User

peoples with OCD are more sensitive to nature & environment .. is this the same all the times??

Closed Thread