It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Introduction and Peeing OCD... sorry if this is long!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
    reddeka
    (female)

reddeka HB User
    Introduction and Peeing OCD... sorry if this is long!

Hello all! I've lurked around these boards for many years, and have finally made an account to participate and hopefully gain some support. I developed OCD when I was around ten years old and it was very bad for many years... bed time rituals, bathroom rituals, the whole nine yards. I remember it getting so bad at some point that I broke down crying but I still couldn't admit it to my parents. I felt so ashamed and recognized that I had OCD but tried to conquer it on my own. I never told anyone in my family about it until the past year or so.

I thought I had conquered most of the rituals and most of the OCD in general, although I still had many obsessional, anxious thoughts. Well what I thought was my anxiety (now turns out to be OCD) about peeing my pants got to the point where I didn't even want to leave the house, and couldn't without huge amounts of anxiety. I finally sought help... and was put on Prozac for OCD, Risperdal for initial anxiety, and Xanax for panic attacks (which I had for the first time a few weeks ago). I'm now also being put on Buspar to hopefully replace the Risperdal.

ANYWAY about the peeing thing... my depression, anxiety, and OCD has all manifested itself in this. I am absolutely terrified of losing control and peeing my pants (which maybe happened once when I was little... but has not happened *knock on wood* these days). This initially started with me needing to make sure I knew where the bathrooms were wherever I was.. and I would have immense anxiety about that before hand, but it would usually settle once I knew I would be ablel to find a bathroom. It has now gotten so bad that I usually go to the bathroom the first thing in a new place, and worry what people think if I have to go to the bathroom again. Pee before every single car ride.. and have huge amounts of anxiety in car rides, sometimes having to stop to go to the bathroom in just a 30 minute car ride. I know these thoughts are obsessions and the compulsion is to pee and most of the time I really don't have to.. but sometime I do which is also concerning. Does anyone have similar OCD or know someone who has? I have never heard of anyone having this much worry and OCD about peeing. Also any suggestions of how to deal with the ocd and the anxiety would be very appreciated. Thank you all so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User
    Re: Introduction and Peeing OCD... sorry if this is long!

Yes I can relate. You are describing me to a tee. I thought I had urinary incontence because of all the peeing I must do. At work we have 57 minute classes, by the end of the classes I am in urgent need to go again.

On shorter days we have 30 or 22 minute periods with 7 periods. It depends on which kind of minimum day it is to decide if it is 30 or 22 minutes. On all of these I must urinate between periods, before and after school, as well as before and after lunch.

It wasn't until I came to this site that I ever knew people were the same. I have even measured it, I pee about 14 ounces. When my wife was driving and totally sick of pulling over I decided to go into a 12 oz soda can, it over flowed. And stopping is impossible at that point. I got rid of that car.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dantheinsane:
    SCATTERED (06-15-2011)
    Old 01-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
    Victoria C
    (female)

Victoria C HB User

Hi, my life is currently ruled by the fear of losing control of my bladder in front of people, etc. It's terrible if I'm shut in a train or in a class and I don't feel that I can get to a toilet easily. Usually I don't even really need to go but I confuse a nervous stomach sensation with a genuine urge. I've also often been to the doctor thinking that I must have a physical complaint causing this frequency - I never do, though. Basically, I MUST be sure that I will not need the loo in an inappropriate setting. CBT is quite helpful but I'm now just going on sertraline and sulpiride (fingers crossed). If you remind yourself that 'no real harm will come to anybody' if the worst happens and give yourself permission, etc you may find that the obsession fades and ofcourse, you don't lose controll at all. This has worked for me a few times, even on a long bus journey in Central London. Thanks for the postings.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
    FeelingFine?
    (female)

FeelingFine? HB User

Yes, things still do happen like that to me.

I have a fear of wetting the bed, so at night I go to the bathroom at least 5 or 6 times, even if I don't have to. If I go to the bathroom and start reading for about 5 min, I will have to go to the bathroom again. It's horrible because I don't even have to go.

='[

Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
    plagued
    (female)

plagued HB User

i have experienced alot of ocd problems including this one. i used to be so afraid of having an accident that i couldnt nap on long car rides, fall asleep at others homes or leave the house without going. i realized that for as long as i worried about it id never had an accident. the one thing that really helped me was trying to pee myself when i was alone and i couldnt. that made me realize that i had alot more control over my body than i thought i did. i hope this helps

Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
    star4822
    (female)

star4822 HB User

I thought I was the only one with this 'peeing' problem! I have trouble sleeping at night, because that seems to be when my peeing anxiety gets the worst. I force myself to get up, even if I don't HAVE to pee, just "in case". It's so annoying. I admit, I do drink a lot of water, so it's not all in my head, and during the day I hold it until I absoloutely can't stand it anymore, but at night it is the worst...I'm sorry I don't have any real help to offer, but it just nice to know I'm not the only one who is going through this..

Old 02-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
    dannic1
    Veteran
    (female)

dannic1 HB User

I noticed that I go to the bathroom a lot before I'm getting ready to go somewhere in the car. I have a little bit of a fear of getting into the car and having to pee and not being able to get to a bathroom in time. This actually happened to me once, so there's a little bit of reality to my fears! My boss took me and my co-worker out to lunch the other day and I must have gone at least 2 -3 times before I got into her truck! I guess there could be worse problems!

danni

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
    ashf0801
    (female)

ashf0801 HB User

Over the past 4 years I have developed this weird peeing obsession at nighttime. I must go at least 5-6 times per night, but its not because I really need to go, I think its all in my head. I wake up, and I have to try to go in order to go back to bed. I have tried everything including not drinking any water and several medications but nothing seems to be helping. I thought I was the only one because when I went to the doctor she seemed as though she had never heard of such a thing. Let me know if anyone has any advice that may help!

Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
    stonehenge
    (female)

stonehenge HB User

You are not the only one,which is always comforting..I understand your fears,though I haven't had any "accidents" I am absoultely terrified of Losing Control that way. I havten't told anyone except on these boards and I have mentioned it sort of to my boyfriend. Mine is a little different though, I'm okay if im at home all day or if im somewhere that is close to a bathroom like at work, but when I'm in the car or feel trapped someplace thinking i wouldnt be able to make it to the bathroom, I feel the urge. I dont even go that much when I do get there. I have not sought help except through these boards, how did u talk to people about it? I'm sorry i dont have any help for you. I just always try to know where the bathroom is where I go and on the way there.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
    gerveise
    (female)

gerveise HB User

I am so glad to feel that i am not the only one that felt the anxiety about peeing my pants!! Have you sought any professsional help yet? I really need help with my anxiety/panic attacks.

Closed Thread