HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   separating OCD thoughts from legitimate thoughts (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/474512-separating-ocd-thoughts-legitimate-thoughts.html)

allhonest 02-23-2007 03:48 AM

separating OCD thoughts from legitimate thoughts

I went to a psychologist yesterday specializing in OCD and finally I can say that I probably have OCD.

My OCD obsessions are almost always about past events. I am having difficulty separating OCD thoughts from legitimate thoughts. How can I tell the difference?

The psychologist suggested that if I was in doubt about a thought, I should treat it like an OCD thought.

ocdengineer 02-23-2007 04:54 AM

Re: separating OCD thoughts from legitimate thoughts

You know.. The funny thing about OCD is all thoughts are created equal. The only way to relieve yourself of the anxiety causing thoughts is to be able to recognize them which sometimes can be very difficult. The only way that I have been able to recognize my thoughts for what they really are, "junk", was to practice meditation. Once you have sat for a few weeks just attempting to clear your mind it is amazing what floats around in there. Most of it is useless and doesn't cause you anxiety, some of it is worry about the coming day, and some is anxiety provoking thoughts. You learn to not only distinguish between the different types of thoughts, but you treat them all the same as "junk". If you acknowledge the thought without attaching yourself meaning attaching any sense of urgency or importance to the thought and then move back to your breath the thought disappears. It is quite amazing. Then another will pop up and captivate you for awhile, just recognize it as a useless thought and move back to your breath. It is very difficult to do, but invaluable over time. At first you won't be able to get through 8 breaths without losing track and going off somewhere in your brain. This is the goal though. You need to practice until you can stop the process early. The earlier you learn to stop the tangential thoughts, the easier it will be for you to apply this technique in your daily life and the thoughts will become a secondary problem to the random anxiety.

Good luck and good question,
OE

Dantheinsane 02-23-2007 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=allhonest;2816417]I went to a psychologist yesterday specializing in OCD and finally I can say that I probably have OCD.

My OCD obsessions are almost always about past events. I am having difficulty separating OCD thoughts from legitimate thoughts. How can I tell the difference?

The psychologist suggested that if I was in doubt about a thought, I should treat it like an OCD thought.[/QUOTE]

For me almost all of my thoughts are pure O thoughts. I ruminate about everything but if I follow the CBT training that OCDengineer talks about I am freed periodically of my thoughts. Then magically I start to have normal hours then days of regular thinking.

My wonderful days are very short lived though because I am very new at this and am still waiting to get real CBT. So maybe you will have longer healther thoughts with the help of your psychologist.

seriousperson 02-24-2007 06:43 PM

I'm in my 50's and have dwelled on thoughts about the past since I was a very small child. When I was very small I would lay in bed at night and rehearse in my mind everything bad that had happened to me within the past few years. It was very depressing.
In my 20's I would systematically count over and over again every guy I had ever been with.
Several years ago when I sought professional help I was dwelling on everything unfair or cruel my boss did or said to me.
My doc is a psychiatrist and a psychologist. He helped me to resolve my relationship with my boss (a lot of prayer helped even more), but I need medication to keep my thoughts from circling round and round like crows over a carcass.