It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Skin Picking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
    Mir
    (female)

Mir HB User
    Skin Picking

What is that called again...and what are all the like signs and symptoms of it, like how does it work..I sound really dumb haha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
    Re: Skin Picking

Not dumb, just not enough information about what information you are seeking. (Okay, now I sound like the librarian that I am LOL.)
    There's a skin picking thread with some insightful posts:
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=472543[/url]

I thought there was some technical term for skin picking, but I just looked it up in PsycInfo and couldn't find anything specific. If I find it in one of the article abstracts I'll post it. But when you do a search in PsycInfo for skin picking as a subject heading, the first subject heading suggested is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Okay. I'm back from hyperfocusing in PsychInfo. There've been a lot of studies done on skin picking and its relation to OCD in the last 6 months. It's good to see that this research is finally happening. I remember back in the 70's the psychiatrist I saw was so clueless about this problem.
    Anyway, what I found was the names of 2 types of therapy used for skin picking:
    Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
    Habit Reversal
    I only read the abstracts of the articles, and I'm not a psychologist, but you could maybe ask a therapist about these strategies for dealing with skin picking.

Last edited by seriousperson; 05-08-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
    -Laura-
    (female)

-Laura- HB User

Hey,

Its a relieve to see someone else who may have this - i have done it for as long as i can remember. It is hard to find a lot of infomation about it on the internet.

I have seen it referred to as CSP (Compulsive Skin Picking)

Last edited by moderator2; 05-13-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
    bhsockerunner
    (female)

bhsockerunner HB User

I know this probablly isn't the same thing you are talking about, but I always scratch or pick at my scalp.. and no I don't have lice or anything like that. It's just something I feel like I have to do.
    Whenever I do it I feel like everyone is watching me and thinks that I do have lice, and then I get really freaked out. I didn't really think anything of it until I saw this post. Now it makes more sense, thanks =]

Old 05-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
    -Laura-
    (female)

-Laura- HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhsockerunner View Post
    I know this probablly isn't the same thing you are talking about, but I always scratch or pick at my scalp.. and no I don't have lice or anything like that. It's just something I feel like I have to do.
    Whenever I do it I feel like everyone is watching me and thinks that I do have lice, and then I get really freaked out. I didn't really think anything of it until I saw this post. Now it makes more sense, thanks =]

Ahh my dad used to pick his scalp too. My mum got annoyed at it, but now i realise its probably passed down somehow.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

yeah I wouold pick my skin, pull my hair out, pick my scalp, bite my nails, anything, sure why not try it, as it seems to go for me. I still pick a little, but only when scabs are healing, its a searious issue if you start picking nothing, and create something, and then pick at that until its really big, I did that to my head once, I saw the dr, and she dignosed me with some hair loss thing, and there was a big scab on my head, I told her I created it. but now if I'm sick she thinks its in my head all the time and I can barly get her to believe me anymore. lol

Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
    -Laura-
    (female)

-Laura- HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miyu View Post
    yeah I wouold pick my skin, pull my hair out, pick my scalp, bite my nails, anything, sure why not try it, as it seems to go for me. I still pick a little, but only when scabs are healing, its a searious issue if you start picking nothing, and create something, and then pick at that until its really big, I did that to my head once, I saw the dr, and she dignosed me with some hair loss thing, and there was a big scab on my head, I told her I created it. but now if I'm sick she thinks its in my head all the time and I can barly get her to believe me anymore. lol
    I have done that a few times, expect on my fingers. You know the middle part of your fingers?? When there has been nthing there - no scabs or anything - i have started to pick at it and bite - but pick more - and now the middle of my fingers look horrible, but i still pack them 5 years on. Its horrible.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
    miyu
    Veteran
    (female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

You can stop. Itís a really hard habit to beat, but it can be done. Like I said I donít pick so much anymore, now if I see a scab I just rub it, if it donít fall off I wait till it is more healed. If I see any blood I stop right away. But I just canít break the nail biting. But I guess because it doesnít do any real damage, I keep doing it, all my other skin picking things were so horrendous that I HAD to stop because I couldnít let myself continue to do that to myself. Its very hard, but it can be stopped, or at least lightened up.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
    me2007
    (female)

me2007 HB User

wow, I can relate. My thumb around the knuckle just below the nail is all calloused and cracked. I pick and bite the skin off. It can bleed and Ill just start all over the next day. Then I end up hiding it cuz it looks so gross. People ask me (when they see it) what happened to your thumb. Of course I come up with the excuse that I burned it and its just starting to heal. This is a horrinle compulsion.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
    dentoncharlene
    (female)

dentoncharlene HB User

I constantly pick these 2 places in my scalp. I have had these places for probally a year now and they wont get better cause i cant stop picking. i dont understand why i do this and i wish i could stop but for some reason i cant.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
    lori1212
    (female)

lori1212 HB User

I have a ten year old daughter who was diagnosed with OCD when she was seven. She picks her arms and legs and already has a lot of scares. We have tried everything to help, but nothing seems to work. Do you have any suggestions that might help?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Ah Devil, don't beat yourself up over it... it happened, and at least you can have the scars removed....

lori,
    you should talk with her pediatrician... and also a psychiatrist, if you haven't already...how often per day does she do this?

Closed Thread