It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Changing from Paxil to Luvox for OCD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User
    Changing from Paxil to Luvox for OCD

Hi:

A few weeks ago, my doctor agreed to change my medication for ocd from Paxil ( after 8 yrs. and no longer working) to Luvox. I heard many good things about Luvox. I'm gradually weaning down off of Paxil to 10mg/day and taking 100 mg of Luvox at bedtime. This is only day 8 of the 100mg of Luvox. I'm feeling anxious, a little shaky, and experiencing bad thoughts more frequently. Is this from coming down from the paxil? Those of you on Luvox, how soon can I expect some relief of these symptoms?

You are daily in my prayers.

Jan54

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User
    Re: Changing from Paxil to Luvox for OCD

Jan, what dose of Luvox did you start on? I have been on Luvox for 5 days, but I am only on 25mg for the first 7 days. I know that for me it is better to start at a low dose. Maybe you can ask your doctor to lower the dose because from what I've heard, 100 seems pretty high for just starting out. Also, my doctor warned me that my obsessive thoughts might get worse before they get better on the med, and I have to say that my thoughts do seem worse. I'm just telling myself that it will go away. I hope it does.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User

Dear ChanceFL:

Since I was already on 50mg of Paxil to start with, my doctor had me drop that doseage over a few weeks to 10mg as of this morning. He started me on 50mg once a day at bedtime on May22nd and had me start taking 100mg at bedtime 8 days later on May 30th. Hopefully, this balance was to help wean off of the Paxil. Thanks for responding. I wish you the best of luck.

Jan54

Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I am on luvox and have been for 10 years. I went off and back on 2x... it will take about 2 weeks to feel much better on luvox... almost there and by 1 month you will feel much much better... and possibly most of the full effects, at least from my experience....the only side effect that I have with luvox that is annoying is being so drowsy and tired... but so worth the benefits... I love this drug.. it makes me "normal" seriously...

Old 06-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

I really hope that it works for me. Still no difference yet. I am upping the dose on Friday to 50mg, but I am nervous because every other time I've taken SSRIs the bad stuff starts happening after the first dose increase. I am really praying that this works. Purplegirl, did you feel any difference at 50 or is that still too low?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

What bad stuff?? 50 mg will most likely make a difference...good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

Oh, I just meant that when I was on Paxil and Serzone in the past when I made my first increase, I started having really bad side effects. I'm just scared because my doctor started me on half of the recommended starting dose because I am so sensitive. I hope 50 helps and that I don't get bad side effects.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User

Dear ChanceFL and Purplegirl:

Thank you for responding to my Luvox question. It helps so much to talk to someone who is going through the same journey. I really appreciate your help. Again, all on this website are in my daily prayers for healing and comfort. God Bless.

Jan

Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ah your welcome, I feel the same way!!!!

Closed Thread