It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Thanks for replies on Luvox

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User
    Thanks for replies on Luvox

Dear ChanceFL and seaturtle:

Thanks again for being there for me. I guess that I just thought that the Luvox would start kicking in. I've only been at 150mg 7 nights. I read somewhere that it might take somewhere between 10-14 days to kick in.

Puprlegirl once you stopped the Paxil how long was it until you felt better, and where you on Luvox as you stopped the Paxil?

ChanceFL, let's stay the course and give it a good try. We may be pleasantly surprised. I still think that it must be a good drug.

God Bless you both.

Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User
    Re: Thanks for replies on Luvox

It took a good month for the Paxil withdrawal to entirely stop. I really felt like crap: electtric shocks, wierd head, anxiety, depression (deep). I was going onto Prozac at the same time.
    From my experience, the Paxil withdrawal might be the problem muc more than the Luvox. When did you go on the 150? I had to do it slowly.
    Best to you, hang in there!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

Jan, I'm going to hang in there too! I'm increasing tonight to 75. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll let you know how I'm doing as well. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Jan, I was on 150 mg of Luvox, and I was decreasing the Luvox and going onto Prozac. I stopped decreasing Luvox and stopped going on the Prozac b/c I felt sad, depressed, crying..., headache, etc... and now I stayined on the LUvox. I was only going off the lUvox and onto Prozac to get pregnant... but they both have side effects and on either one I would have to be monitored very closely so I would rather stay on the drug that I already know how i feel naturally - not pregnant, than take a chance and get preg..

good luck.... I love luvox and it is my miracle drug.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User

Dear ChanceFl:

You know after you mentioned dividing the Luvox 150mg in half to 75mg at bedtime and 75mg later, I went back and read the pharmacy insert that came with the Luvox, and you were totally right!!! Last night, I took 75mg at bedtime and took 75mg this morning. Thanks again.

--We'll stay the course together!!!

Jan

Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User

The way my doctor ordered the Luvox was to take one 50mg tablet at bedtime for 1 week, then two 50mg tablets for 1 to 2 weeks, and 3 tablets if needed and tolerated. This was going on as I was decreasing my morning Paxil. I was on my 11th night of Luvox at 100mg, still feeling really anxious, when I upped my dose to 150mg. I've been on that now for 8 nights. Last night, I did what ChanceFL suggested, and after I re-checked the pharmacy insert that came with the Luvox, I split my dose so that I took 75mg last night at bedtime and 75mg. this morning. I'm hoping that this will help with some of the anxiety during the day.--jan

Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

Jan, I am on my 2nd day at 75 and I definitely noticed an increase in my anxiety today. I had to take a Xanax for the first time in 6 days. Also, I got this weird all over aching feeling. It's very strange. I'm hoping it will go away since all of the other side effects I have experienced have subsided after a few days (headache, leg cramps, skin itching, anxiety). Anyway, I hope you're doing okay tonight and that your anxiety has lessened. Keep me posted!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Good Luck to both of you!!!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

You're more than welcome, glad to be a bit of help.
    The Luvox: I've been on 100, and for me, it's too much. It does relieve vast majority of pure O for me, but leaves me very tired and consequently w/no energy and depressed.
    I cut it back to 50 today and feel much more alive. My weight is quite low, so I may not be able to tolerate as high a dosage as others. Will see my pdoc next week.
    Thinking of all of you, how are you doing?
    So glad for the support on this board, too,

Seaturtle

Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

Seaturtle, what are you cutting back to? 75? I have been at 75 for four days now and I'm not feeling very good today. I'm just tired and achey and I feel like I have no strength. Is this normal? I'm not feeling any relief from my OCD symptoms, now I'm just obsessing about my health because I don't like the way I feel. I can't even imagine increasing to 100 feeling like this.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

Sorry, I just reread your post and I noticed you said you were cutting back to 50. Physically I felt fine at 50, just no OCD relief.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #12
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My psychiatrist told me that Luvox is VERY Sedating and he usually prescribes his patients with another medication to counteract that side effect....just for you to maybe ask your doctor...

It is normal to have flu like - achy sypmptoms= when you start luvox...it is a side effect....but you should talk with your doctor about the side effects because they are albe to sometimes prescribe another medictation to couneterct.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

Thanks, Purplegirl. I'm glad to know that the flu-like symptoms are normal because I have been really scared. I have an aching body, headache, and my eyes hurt. I have taken 6 Advil today to try and make the muscle aches and pains go away and when I took the trash out earlier I got so out of breath just walking a little bit. I hope this subsides because all I want to do is lay in bed all day. I have no energy at all!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #14
    jan54
    (female)

jan54 HB User

Dear ChanceFL:

I'm sorry to hear about your not feeling too well. If this shortness of breath is something new for you, I'd not hestitate to call your doctor about it and see if he wants to see you. Keep in Touch. The Ativan is easing my anxiety and hopefully will let the Luvox kick in.

--Jan

Old 06-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
    ChanceFL
    (female)

ChanceFL HB User

I called my doctor earlier today and he said that flu symptoms are not a side effect and that it's impossible for me to be feeling this way at such a low dose. He also said that I'm probably feeling this way because I'm depressed.

I didn't like his answer so I decided to call the pharmacist and he told me that flu-like symptoms are absolutely a side effect of Luvox and that if it didn't go away in a few days that I might want to change meds because it might not be for me.

Anyway, I really like my psychiatrist, but he did the same thing to me seven years ago when I had side effects from Paxil and Serzone. He basically told me it was in my head. I am really upset about his reaction today because I don't feel depressed and I don't think it's fair to tell someone that they are probably feeling flu symptoms because they're depressed. I'm depressed after hearing that from my doctor.

So here are my symptoms: aching muscles, my eyes hurt, really tired, and today I feel completely exhausted. I went to the store with my sister and I felt like I could barely walk because I am so weak. I almost felt like passing out. And I have no strength at all. This is really scaring me to the point that I feel like going back down to 50mg tonight. I don't feel capable of doing anything right now. I can't drive, I can barely get out of bed. Is this normal? I can't take feeling like this!

Closed Thread