HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   OCD/Anxiety causes racing thought patters? Maybe Bipolar or Schizophrenia? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/512320-ocd-anxiety-causes-racing-thought-patters-maybe-bipolar-schizophrenia.html)

Superp150 06-29-2007 04:48 PM

OCD/Anxiety causes racing thought patters? Maybe Bipolar or Schizophrenia?

THis is third time I have tried to start this thread? hopefully this time will work!!!

Just wondering if it is my ocd/anxiety that makes me feel like my thoughts are racing? It is hard to concentrate sometimes and it really bothers me. Also I have heard that a symptom of Bipolar is racing thoughts.

I always get worried that I am bipolar and or maybe Schizophrenic, but my pdoc assures me that I am not. It just seems too me like there is something else going on in my head other than OCD/Anxiety. I cannot convince myself that my problem is only OCD with a ton of Anxiety.

Also what is the difference in Bipolar II and OCD? I dont have the extremely lows associated with bipolar but it does seem like I have the symptoms of highs, racing thoughts and inability to concentrate sometimes, never manic though just real anxious. My doc keeps telling me that it is my OCD and axiety but I am still not convinced there is not something else that is getting missed like, Bipolar or Schizo?

One thing that makes me feel like I am schizophrenic is that I am always thinking there is a reason behind something. For example, If a friend calls me out of the blue to say hey I feel that there is some hidden agenda to why they are calling me.

Who knows, maybe with my OCD I am just overanalyzing everything???

Any suggestions?

God Bless!!

ChanceFL 06-29-2007 05:08 PM

Re: OCD/Anxiety causes racing thought patters? Maybe Bipolar or Schizophrenia?

You are just over analyzing everything. When I first went to the doctor a few months back, I was absolutely convinced that I was bipolar because I feel like I get these periods when I feel really overly confident and so sure of myself, almost like I'm better than other people. But it's only in my mind and it doesn't show to others. My therapist said that was normal-everyone does that. I also get really depressed at times, but I do not have any manic episodes where I spend a lot of money or talk fast.

I think your racing thoughts are anxiety. When my anxiety is really bad, my mind just doesn't stop. I also get the inkling once in awhile that I'm Schizophrenic because I obsess that my OCD thoughts border on the delusional side. When you feel like your friend calls you because she has an ulterior mortive it may seem a little paranoid, but again, I think you're just doubting (a classic OCD issue). Doubting yourself, doubting your friendship, doubting everything. I have the book "Freedom From Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" by Jonathon Grayson and he says in the book that people with OCD never want to live with any type of uncertainty. We want to know everything that will happen or why things happen. He says the first step in recovery from OCD is being willing to live with uncertainty. If a friend calls, you just have to live with the fact that maybe she does have an ulterior motive and maybe she doesn't.

I should follow my own advice, but I hope that this gives you a little bit of reassurance which is what those of us with OCD are always looking for.

slpinsd 06-29-2007 05:13 PM

I'm not a doctor so I can't diagnose you. But I have both OCD and Bipolar II.

You can be BP without being manic. That's what happened to me. Hypomania, a state that is not quite manic but a little over stimulated above normal, is what I had. That is associated w/ BP II. It is subtle. What you experienced is similar to mine. Do you experience an occasional inner speeding? Mind chatter? Music racing through your brain? Periods of an adrenaline surge where you are much more productive than normal, or just a tiny bit more confident? When I started charting my moods, I noticed that it would climb up from ok to great, but after the great day i would spiral into a short depression. Cycling is the hallmark of BP and there is a whole spectrum and degrees of cycling.

Cyclothymia is another condition where the lows aren't so low. If you swing from a teeny bit above normal to mildly depressed, this is cyclothymia. Also in BPII, the majority of it is depression.

Are you on meds? AD's can trigger hypomania, as they did in me. If this is the case you would need a mood stabilizer not an AD.

I'm confused too b/c I got the OCD symptoms while on an AD to treat depression. Instead it triggered both Bipolar and OCD. I looked at the research and BPII and OCD very often go together.

I am glad that I got a second opinion, b/c my first pdoc chalked it all-even my revved up feeling- to anxiety, which was not the case. But BPII can include LOTS of anxiety. I hope that helps. Again, you would need to get a second opinion if you are iffy on your diagnoses. It often takes us being proactive to get the best treatment possible.

Superp150 06-29-2007 06:40 PM

thank you both for the help. I might go see another doc in the future but I feel very comfortable talking with my pdoc about whatever it is that bothers me. He just has to reassure me a lot.

THanks again!!!