It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• OCD - Fear of Germs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
    Calaris
    (male)

Calaris HB User
    OCD - Fear of Germs

Well I guess my other topic was a little too long to read. It basically explained my OCD style and my past. In this topic. I will state my most annoying OCD. Fear of germs. Every time I touch something. I wash my hand. It seriously leads to a chain reaction sometimes and it's really annoying.

For example: I really look after my mouse and keyboard. If I touch something dirty and touch either of them. I clean them with a tissue to make sure I didn't dirty my mouse and keyboard. But sometimes it leads to a chain reaction. My brother touched something dirty. Then he brought me a tissue to clean my keyboard. I took the tissue and cleaned the keyboard and realised his hands weren't clean. So what I do is go and wash my hands and then take a tissue to clean the keyboard again. What do I do then? I go and wash my hands again because I just cleaned the keyboard which according to me was dirty.

Sometimes I memorise that I touched a door handle with dirty hands so I try opening it with my t shirt. Then beware! Your t shirt is dirty! I clean the door handle and I take off my t shirt and do I put a new one? No. I have to wash myself to put on a new one. I don't want my new t shirt to be affected as well

This is very irritating. Can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
    Re: OCD - Fear of Germs

You've done a great job of describing what it's like to have OCD with a focus on germs.
    The good news is the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) should work well for your type of OCD. In a nutshell, it involves not giving in to the urge to wipe away germs -- waiting until the anxiety about the germs has past. Over time, you will be conditioned to not be anxious about germs. See if you can find a therapist who specializes in CBT for OCD.

I should add that I can't handle my own OCD without medication, but you may be able to do it with just therapy.

Last edited by seriousperson; 06-30-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Closed Thread