It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Feeling other people's feelings?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
    Birdbreath
    (female)

Birdbreath HB User
    Feeling other people's feelings?

One thing that I do when I do something wrong to someone is that I make myself put myself in their shoes and see how I made them feel. Do any of you do this? I do this most of the time when I've wronged someone.

Now lately I've been trying to force myself to feel the pain I think I've caused my brother. Although I know he probably remembers nothing, I have a feeling that if he had been older, then he would have. And I want to make myself feel the pain that he would have felt if he were older and I'd done it, but it's so hard to force yourself to feel things. Besides the kissing thing, I felt like I was just overall too touchy-feely, and it just compounds the problem. And I'm afraid to touch the pain because I'm going to get the overwhelming feeling that you get when you know you've done something terribly wrong, and you are just screwed - and there's no backing out.

What I'm wondering is if this is normal to do. If I don't do it, I feel like I'm just living in denial. I want to feel guilt. But how do you force yourself to feel something when you've been dwelling on something for so long that it just eventually kind of fades from your thoughts - yet it's always there. I can't enjoy life because I feel too guilty, but if I could just get all the pain out, I'd be better. But I can't get it out, yet I can't live. I don't know when this will go away, but then again, I don't WANT it to go away. What the hell do I do, how do I allow myself to feel the pain?

The following user gives a hug of support to Birdbreath:
    Someone Help Me (03-11-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread