It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• OCD & skin picking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
    ocdsux108
    (female)

ocdsux108 HB User
    OCD & skin picking

Ok...I have an ongoing huge problem with ocd & my skin picking part has been "not so bad" for a few months now...i guess i've been obsessing over other things. Anyway, today, i couldn't stop myself...i got this intrusive thought & couldn't concentrate. After 10 minutes of trying not to do it, I got up, got my cuticle cutter & picked at my fingers for about 45 minutes. My hands are already disgusting from compulsive hand washing but I do get a manicure every 2 weeks to try to make them look the best I can. Well, now, 2of my fingers are raw & the rest of them look bad, despite my beautiful manicure! I'm sooooo embarrassed of this. Does anyone do this or any other kind of skin picking & if you do, what do you do to stop it? I literally HAD TO DO IT! If I would've taken a Klonopin, that wouldn't have even stopped me. I was determined.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
    Re: OCD & skin picking

Yes, I skin pick, my cuticles...sometimes they bleed and I have to put a bandaid on it....I have a huge post started called skin picking if you wish to read it...Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Yes, the other skin picking thread has some good explanations of what it's like to have this disorder. I was doing really well in the cuticle area since my oldest daughter bought me a big jar of unscented hand cream for Christmas. I rub some on my heels too. It really keeps those t e m p t i n g rough bits of skin from sticking out. But with this cold weather and the accompanying dry heated air it's hard to keep skin moisturized even with cream. I missed applying it one day and now have had two sore fingers for several days.

The medications I take for OCD have been helping a lot now that I've been on them for a long time (a couple of years). They give me enough relief from the obsessive tendencies that I can sort things out in my mind and steer my thinking in a different direction. Sort of like CBT.

Last edited by seriousperson; 02-13-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
    MSUstudent
    (female)

MSUstudent HB User

I have very very bad skin picking...and I do it to my face. It is very devastating. I inspect every pore on my face and attempt to clean them all out. Sometimes I can be in front of the bathroom mirror for 2 hours. I am a medical student, and I had to come home for a semester to get this under control. It has gotten so out of control I'm sure I will be left w/ horrible scars. Right now every single mirror in my house is covered. I need a mirror to pick...so this helps. I upped my lexapro to 20 mg hoping it will help. As far as picking cuticles goes...I recommend getting some cotton cloves and wearing them when you're around the house. Put some thick hand lotion on before...and it can be like a treatment for your hands. I'm going to start doing this too..cause you can't pick your face w/ gloves on! Good luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

MSU student, Everything you describe about the pores and the mirrors is my experience. I'm in my 50's and still do it. But now I just do it a little. I mean I still do it a little each day, but I'm not leaving permanent damage anymore. I think the medication and therapy have really helped.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I clip my cuticles with the cuticle nippers until they are sore and bleeding!!!

you're not alone!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
    momrobare
    (female)

momrobare HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ocdsux108 View Post
    Ok...I have an ongoing huge problem with ocd & my skin picking part has been "not so bad" for a few months now...i guess i've been obsessing over other things. Anyway, today, i couldn't stop myself...i got this intrusive thought & couldn't concentrate. After 10 minutes of trying not to do it, I got up, got my cuticle cutter & picked at my fingers for about 45 minutes. My hands are already disgusting from compulsive hand washing but I do get a manicure every 2 weeks to try to make them look the best I can. Well, now, 2of my fingers are raw & the rest of them look bad, despite my beautiful manicure! I'm sooooo embarrassed of this. Does anyone do this or any other kind of skin picking & if you do, what do you do to stop it? I literally HAD TO DO IT! If I would've taken a Klonopin, that wouldn't have even stopped me. I was determined.

I lost my hair when I was 28 years old...and since then I pick my head continiously. I also have "sweet spots" from diabetes (small hard white patches of skin) that I pick every time I see them...lots of time to the point of infection!

I also bit my fingernails so far down to the quick that I have hangnails on almost every finger.

You're not alone!

Closed Thread