It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• What degree of OCD is considered mild, medium, severe, etc?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
    mewey2
    (female)

mewey2 HB User
    What degree of OCD is considered mild, medium, severe, etc?

I have always suspected that I have OCD, but lately it has been pretty bad. I am plagued with the compulsion to pinch this certain area of skin on my left side over and over again. I'm not SURE if this is OCD, because there is no real FEAR involved in doing this... it's more like if I don't pinch it I get increasingly consumed in thoughts of I HAVE TO PINCH IT! to the point where I cannot focus on anything else and think I will go insane. By now the skin is getting quite rough and is always red. I want to stop but it's just so hard. I probably do it like 5 times a minute, which is like SO many times per day! And I've cycled through various things I've felt compulsed to do over the years, this one just happens to be the worst I've had yet. I used to have to do tongue-clicking on both sides of the mouth or I felt unbalanced... now it doesn't bother me at all. So they pass, but then I just get another one, so I'm always stuck with SOMETHING. But I have no idea to what degree OCD this would be considered. I obviously wouldn't consider it severe, because that would be WAY worse than this, but I'm not sure if it would be mild or medium. What IS considered mild OCD? To what degree would one have to have these compulsions? I'm just wondering. I hate it so much! Bah!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
    momrobare
    (female)

momrobare HB User
    Re: What degree of OCD is considered mild, medium, severe, etc?

HI
    I don't know if I can answer your questions but I'm glad to hear that someone else has the "uneven" problems. With you it was your mouth...with me it's washing the floors and also words in my head that have to be put in order with the same letters underneath each other.

Example:

The sentence:
    I love you.

Here's how I have to do it over and over and over again in my mind!

Il LI
    ov vo
    ey ye
    ou uo

LI IL
    vo ov
    ye ey
    ou ou
    LI
    vo
    ye
    uo

Then I have to overlay the same thing in the opposite way...and do this 4 times. Then I have to draw a line around them so they're in a nice neat little box! And heaven help me if the line seems to be darker or thicker than some of the other lines! What a mess!!!!

But they all have to be "even" meaning that I cannot have a tiny bit of sense that one letter is heavier than the others or that one set of words is heavier than the other! And sometimes the lines just go around and around and around!

Thankfully Luvox has helped me a lot.

Another thing I did...and sometimes till do...is pick fleas on my cats! I mean it was like I was running an assembly line! One cat after the other (I have 5 of them) for HOURS!

The obsessions seem centered on movies stars, singers or television stars but not to the point of STALKING! Let me make that perfectly clear!

In the mid 90's after I was first diagnosed...I "discovered" Greata Garbo and let me tell you that was a bad time for 3everyone involved with me! I watched Garbo movies one right after the other, I carried all the books I could find with me whereever I went. I didn't pay the rent or the other household bills cause I was too busy spending the money on Ebay to buy Garbo films, books, memorabelia!

Then that subsided and I was hit with another obsession this time over a soap opera actress!

Anyway sorry about the rant. I know I didn't answer your question but please be advised that you are NOT alone!

I've found through research that OCD takes on may forms and that not everyone sufferes or has the same problems but we all have the same disease.

I think it's a BIG problem when you can't function in your day to day living!

I also had/have problems washing floors cause every swipe of the mop has to be...in my mind...even! Not too much water...not too long a swish. It got so bad I started doing the floors on my hands and knees with a sponge...one sponge row at a time. And if I somehow felt that it wasn't even...I had to do the entire floor again and again and again.

All I can say is Thank God for Luvox!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

i am not sure exactly what is mild, mod, severe i guess how bad it is or how it affects your daily routine would affect mild mod severe. i too have to squeeze skin. sometimes i feel that urge to squeeze under my fingers. it is described just how you say yours is. it is like a sneeze that you can feel coming on and you just have to do it and your mind is saying do it do it do it.
    i have many others besides the skin pinching but it would take all day. good luck t o you.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
    HdlR
    (female)

HdlR HB User

My 11 year old son does things like the pinching, tongue clicking, and other things like that. He has been diagnosed with OCD, but I think he also has "transient tic disorder" which is what the pinching, tongue clicking, etc, is. He will only have one tic at a time and they usually last 2-3 weeks and then he will start on a brand new tic, and drop the other one.

He can't control the tics, but taking Zoloft has helped reduce them dramatically, and also helps his OCD. He will still get obsessed with certain topics for a few weeks at a time, such as a series of movies, or a sports team, or world records, or whatever. He can even joke now about what his next tic, or obsession topic will be, although it is not something he actually chooses on purpose.

His OCD was diagnosed as severe, as his intrusive thoughts were taking up almost all his waking hours plus keeping him up at night, worrying and obsessing.

The Zoloft (75mg) has really helped. He still has some obsessions that don't bother him, but the best part is that the intrusive thoughts have practically disappeared. And if he has the thoughts, he can turn them off easily.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
    worm
    (female)

worm HB User

What were your sons obsessive night time thoughts? I have a nine year old that thinks when he goes to bed that he is going to die. His eating is also very odd (chews food at the front of his mouth and spits a lot of it out).

Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
    HdlR
    (female)

HdlR HB User

He was obsessing about being a racist and a drug dealer, and death and always confessing things that he though were bad. His therapist helped him describe it as this: Regular people have 2 voices inside their head. A good concience and a bad one, and we know which is which (Like Fred Flintstone with the angel and the devil on his shoulders). My son, with his OCD had one extra voice which would interfere and make him question which voice was the "right" voice. I can't remember the exact way they described it to me, but it made total sense. It was not like the voice was making him do anything bad, just think about bad things a lot. The Zoloft has really helped him.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Clinically, on the YBOCS (Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale), a range of numbers are assigned to say whether one's OCD at the present time is "mild," "moderate," "severe," or "extreme." The two questions off of the YBOCS that may help you realize the severity of your OCD at a given moment are how many hours a day you have obsessions and/or you engage in compulsions. If my memory serves me, one hour a day for either obsessions or compulsions equates to "mild" OCD, three hours is "moderate," five is "severe," and 8+ is "extreme." Hope this helped!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 03-07-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

just wondering so what if you have obsessive thoughts and prayer rituals off and on all day long. i don't really sit there for an hour at a time or 2 or 3 hours at once. but off and on all day long while awake. how do they figure that out as far as mild, mod, severe. i do know that my ocd causes me lots of anxiety. just wondering.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

For the YBOCS definition of "severity," the number of hours is the number of total hours per day spent on obsessions/compulsions. It doesn't have to be consecutive hours; so, if you're having obsessions/compulsions on and off throughout the day for a total of three hours, then this would be considered a "moderate" severity, by YBOCS standards. Most OCD-ers, myself included, have intermittent periods of their OCD symptoms. I can go for hours without having an obsession, and then, all of a sudden, I have one.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 03-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

ok i see now. hmm that sounds like me too sometimes i can go alittle while with out an obsession but i don't go for long periods with out one though. i think this is honestly t he most confusing disorder ever and how it can be so different in everyone is something. so confusing though

Closed Thread