It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Inositol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
    doremi
    (female)

doremi HB User
    Inositol

Okay, reading some of the other posts, I saw something called "inositol" mentioned. Does it really work? How long does it take before you actually feel some relief? Does it help to stop the unwanted thinking?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
    garylovesnadja
    (male)

garylovesnadja HB User
    Re: Inositol

Speaking for myself personally, Inositol has worked fabulously. It is one of the 'B' vitamins and there has been a tremendous amount of study done on it's positive and healing effect on OCD. I feel it's one of the largely undiscovered secrets to effectively combating OCD, plus it's entirely natural. If you look up OCD/Inositol on a search engine, you'll see how many laboratory studies have been done on it, and the respect it's given by many health care professionals. And no, it doesn't work for everybody, and they're not sure why. But neither do medications work for everyone, and as someone who has suffered from OCD for decades, I can tell you the so called side effects from medication are often the main effect. And, not that I have anything against medication, I have used it extensively in the past in a desperate effort to get some kind, any kind of relief from OCD. And it was often helpful in varying degrees. But, I have to say Inositol has helped me more than any Meds I used in the past. When the intrusive thoughts start taking over, I take anywhere from 6 to 18 grams of powdered Inositol in a small amount of water or juice, and the effect is really fast, almost like a gentle force flooding thru my mind, reducing the thoughts and compulsions to shadow images, and often completely melting them right out of my system. You can get the powdered form at most health-food stores; a lot of them are carrying it now because word has gotten out on how effective it is for OCD. And no, I'm not affiliated with any health food stores or vitamin companies, just want to get the word out on this.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
    doremi
    (female)

doremi HB User

Wow! Okay, I think I will try it and I will let you know! I notice that all of the literature I have been seeing online, as well as you, recommend the powder form. What is the difference between the powder and the capsule form? I am only asking this because the powder form seems to be more expensive, but if there is a reason, I will certainly go for it.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
    garylovesnadja
    (male)

garylovesnadja HB User

The reason to buy in powder form is you need to take Inositol at mega-dosages in order to get relief from OCD....between 6 and 18 grams per day has been shown to do the best job in clinical trials, and for me also personal experience has proven that out. In order to take that large a dose in capsule form, you'd literally be taking 30- 40 capsules per day. And the powder is actually less expensive than the caps, just do some research online via search engine regarding best price for Inositol powder, you'll be amazed how many people are carrying it now. Plus the pure powder dissolves instantly in water or juice, and has a pleasant sweet taste to it, and gets into your system faster than capsules would. They also usually include a measuring spoon which measures out 6 grams per spoon. Also, most caps come with fillers and excipients, and you don't want to be paying for that. Best wishes and good health to you!

Last edited by garylovesnadja; 03-12-2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
    garylovesnadja
    (male)

garylovesnadja HB User

I forgot to mention, Swansons is the place I get my Inositol, it's by far the cheapest.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
    doremi
    (female)

doremi HB User

Oh wow...thanks. I just checked out their website and the price is very reasonable. I had picked up a bottle at GNC and it was VERY expensive. Thanks again!

Closed Thread