It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• typing words

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
    ameliacd
    (female)

ameliacd HB User
    typing words

I've searched this message board and found a few people who have an obsession with words. They describe these obsessions as stopping or subsiding. Mine, however, is not.

Since I was a very small child I have had an obsession with typing words in my head. My shoulders act as the fingers, if you will, and type the words. Not an extremely noticeable action. At first it was just a few words here and there. Now it's a full blown case of typing out every single word I say, or that is said to me. I dictate all words coming and going from my brain and even the words that are just floating around up there. I even go so far as to hit ctr-A+del in my brain just to erase everything I've typed. I also have a "word of the day". Usually I hear a word within one day and have to constantly repeat it, type it, say it, spell it, sound it out, do frenetic spelling... anything to repeat that word.

Yesterday my word was "Rainer Maria Rilke". A name, actually.

My mind is never idle. I can not rest. I am tense constantly because I know this is interfering with my life. I try to stop but when I actively prevent myself from doing it I only start it again after a moment of rest.

Even now as I am typing this I am typing all of these words in my head.

Is there ANYTHING at all that will help me ease my tension and stress levels from this compulsion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
    JomBobwe
    Inactive
    (male)

JomBobwe HB User
    Re: typing words

<Is there ANYTHING at all that will help me ease my tension and stress levels from this compulsion?>

It's the stress of the compulsion that is causing the stress - which in turn is causing the compulsion -and more stress...

That's the way OCD works. Something stresses you, you do something to relieve the anxiety -(the doing is the compulsion) - the realization that your doing something over and over causes more anxiety.

I wonder... others should chime in on this as I'm just posing an idea. What it you said it's okay to "type" these words? Let's take one of Rainer Maria von Rilke's poems - and see how fast you can type one of his famous pems... for fun. See if that doesn't calm things down a little.

You'll likely fall into it again - typing that one "word" - but if you make it okay to do it, maybe you'll break that anxiety response.

Then you can look at what's causing the initial stress - and try to relax that a bit....

I did something similar in the past - counting the letters in a conversation - or a TV show on my fingers on one hand. Turned out that the anxiety was a relationship I was in at the time was stressing me out.

Closed Thread