It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Anyone else obsess over blood pressure?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
    Marla39
    (female)

Marla39 HB User
    Question Anyone else obsess over blood pressure?

Hi everyone. I have OCD my whole life but never knew it until 12 years ago. I was told I have high blood pressure and every so often if bothers the hell out of me and I can't get it out of my head. I am on Lexapro and Ativan if needed. The Lexapro worked good for about 4 years and then I started obsessing over this again. I want to live my life but this worry eventually comes back to blood pressure. I don't want to die of a heart attack or stroke from this. Does anyone deal with this or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this. Thanks! P.S. Everyone I get it checked it is fine but I worry all day about it and can't get rid of the thought. Thats another thing-I check it at least once a day at a store. I used to have an electronic blood pressure at home but was told by the psychiatrist to get rid of it. What do I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
    Coolbeans
    (female)

Coolbeans HB User
    Re: Anyone else obsess over blood pressure?

Do as your psychiatrist says. It is like your first step to getting over your paranoia. If you don't you will be stuck in the same cycle forever.

Last edited by Coolbeans; 09-14-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
    Marla39
    (female)

Marla39 HB User

I got rid of the blood pressure kit about 5 years ago but it still bothers me at times. The worrying about it comes back every so often and I feel like I am focused on it all day. By the way, Coolbeans, it was so nice of u to respond to my message. Out of 37 views you were the only one that wrote back. Thank you so very, very much.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
    ExtremelyWired
    (male)

ExtremelyWired HB User

The good news is, the fact that the anxiety of worrying about your blood pressure doesn't raise your blood pressure should tell you that you aren't prone to having high blood pressure

Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
    Marla39
    (female)

Marla39 HB User

No, I do have high blood pressure and I am on medication for it. But the anxiety of worrying about sometimes rises it. It just is a never ending worry and usually will go away after a period of time but this time nothing else is replacing the worrying of the blood pressure.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
    ExtremelyWired
    (male)

ExtremelyWired HB User

I have high blood pressure as well, quite high actually, but I am medicated for it and I can keep it in normal ranges now, even when I have high anxiety. Stress and anxiety will raise blood pressure even if you are medicated, so that is normal. As long as your anxiety doesn’t raise your blood pressure to an unhealthy level, and it shouldn’t if you are at the correct dose of high blood pressure medication, then you can close the book on that one.

Last edited by ExtremelyWired; 09-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
    Coolbeans
    (female)

Coolbeans HB User

Your welcome. Also, worrying is a huge part of OCD. I promise.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
    Marla39
    (female)

Marla39 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExtremelyWired View Post
    I have high blood pressure as well, quite high actually, but I am medicated for it and I can keep it in normal ranges now, even when I have high anxiety. Stress and anxiety will raise blood pressure even if you are medicated, so that is normal. As long as your anxiety doesn’t raise your blood pressure to an unhealthy level, and it shouldn’t if you are at the correct dose of high blood pressure medication, then you can close the book on that one.
    Thank you very much for your input on this-it does reassure me very much. That means alot when you find that you are not alone in what u r going through. Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
    Marla39
    (female)

Marla39 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolbeans View Post
    Your welcome. Also, worrying is a huge part of OCD. I promise.
    You have been very helpful Coolbeans-thanks for reassuring me-u would think I would know that worrying is a part of OCD by now. Thanks for helping me feel better!

Closed Thread