HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   Do you think it's possible that I have OCD? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/76771-do-you-think-its-possible-i-have-ocd.html)

gogocrazy 01-03-2004 10:19 AM

Re: Do you think it's possible that I have OCD?

Hey!

I'm still going to a doctor today. I'm so scared. I couldn't stop shaking at all yesterday and I'm shaking even more today. I'm so scared of being wrong and since I'm in so much denial, it seems like a pretty good possibility. When I'm in the middle of obsessions or compulsions, particularly at night before bed (which is now taking at least an hour), I feel certain that I have OCD and I want to get help more than anything. Any other time, even now for example, I'm in so much denial and I don't want to be wrong. If it wasn't for everyone whose responded and my friends, I don't know where I'd be.

I think I figured out how to tell my parents, but the decision isn't final yet and any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. Two of my closest friends are going to help me tell my math teacher on Monday (the first day back after Christmas Break) and ask her to help me tell my parents. Hopefully she will, and in case that she won't, for whatever reason, I'll think of another way.

I'm going to make notes of my symptoms so I won't forget them and I'm going to tell my friend most of them so she can help me if I freeze up. My friends are being so supportive, it's great. I just can't imagine what I'd do if I were wrong, I can't stand that thought.

There's something else that I'm worried about. Well, my school has a lot of trips and I normally don't go on them because I don't know how successful I'd be at hiding my obsessions and compulsions, I mean it's nearly impossible at home. Last year there were three trips and I didn't go on any of them, but in September of this year there was a mandatory P.E. trip. I went, but it was really hard to keep my compulsions hidden. I completely detached myself from everyone, kept to myself, avoided all possible situations where my obsessions would start then I'd feel forced to do my compulsions, and if I couldn't avoid the situation, I'd try to do it at a different time than everyone else. Nobody noticed anything and just thought I was detaching myself because I felt like it. Coming up at the end of January, however, there's a band trip that I can't miss. Attendance isn't mandatory, but my band teacher will basically make me go. I don't think I'll be very successful in hiding my compulsions this time, my "OCD" has gotten so much worse. Any suggestions with what I can do? I'm really scared about that.

Anyways, I better go. I'll definitely check back before I leave, so any comments would be appreciated. I'm so excited, I'll post my diagnosis ASAP.

Thanks,
Daniela

gogocrazy 01-03-2004 10:13 PM

Hey!

I don't think I've ever felt this bad in my life. They wouldn't let me see a doctor at the clinic because "I was too young," but that's not true because my best friend's parents used to work there and they said that kids went to see them alone all of the time. Well, I couldn't go, but I'm so scared because my friend gave them my phone number, address, etc. I'm pretty sure they won't call though. I told my best friend's mom today, and she's going to tell my mom tomorrow. I think she's taking me very seriously because I couldn't stop crying when I told her. I'm so scared, but thankfully I'll be going to school on Monday. I don't think my parents will be very happy with me and I'm so scared, but my friends are being great and everything. If any of you have any advice or what I should say to my parents, please post it!

Thanks,
Daniela

TerryB 01-04-2004 05:42 AM

Daniela, I'm so sorry about the way things turned out! Here's a big ciber hug:
(((((Daniela)))))
Terry

gogocrazy 01-04-2004 10:00 AM

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. It helps to know that someone's here.

What should I do when my parents find out though? I don't what their reaction is going to be, but I'm guessing they won't be too happy because I told my friend's mom first and tried to go to a doctor. I'm so scared. I don't want them to think of me differently and I don't want to be wrong. What should I say to them when they find out?

Anyways, I better go. I don't know what else to say, I'm terrified right now.

Thanks,
Daniela

TerryB 01-04-2004 12:37 PM

Daniela, you did try to tell your parents but for whatever reason they didn't understand or hear. Maybe they will understand that you were desperate and really hurting. Terry

gogocrazy 01-04-2004 03:34 PM

Hey!

Everything went better than I thought. My mom told me that she doesn't think I have OCD, that I'm just stressed out, but she's calling the doctor tomorrow. My dad doesn't really know, but I'm sure my mom will tell him right away. My mom made it very clear that she doesn't think it's OCD, but she still wants to get it checked out and everything, just in case. I told her most of my symptoms, but she just said I like patterns and it's a nervous habit, so I don't know. I'm confused, but not as scared.

Anyways, I'll post as soon as I know anything else.

Thanks,
Daniela

TerryB 01-04-2004 06:05 PM

Daniela, it's a breakthrough. Your Mom at least recognizes that there is a problem! Terry

gogocrazy 01-04-2004 06:18 PM

Hey!

I know, I'm so happy! I'm a little embarrassed and I'll be embarrassed if I'm wrong, but I'm so happy to be getting help. I'm probably going to be getting some meds tomorrow and I'm going to a doctor for anxiety. My mom kept on saying that I'm not a kid who has OCD, that there's nothing wrong. She said that I have stable relationships and I'm pretty open with my emotions. Do you still think I have OCD? She's pretty convincing, but I think it's more than just stress, because other than this, the problems in my life are pretty bearable.

Thanks,
Daniela

TerryB 01-04-2004 06:29 PM

I wouldn't stress yourself out over the diagnosis. The way that I see it you could easily have OCD, anxiety and depression. They often go together. I would have situational anxiety and depression if I went through what you have been experiencing just trying to get a diagnosis. The important thing is that you are going! Terry

red16 01-05-2004 01:33 PM

I've been reading this thread and I just have to comment on how strong your being. I'm a year older than you and was recently diagnosed with OCD after having a major panic attack becauseI got severe unwanted thoughts in my head. It all made sense especially when I started thinking and realized I do some other things that have to be related to OCD thought they never stopped me form anything before. It's great your finally getting help, meds will definatley help just keep in mind they don't work right away. I'm sorry your mom is having so much trouble with accepting the fact you have OCD (I don't think your wrong don't be nervous about the diagnoses). I'd suggest talking to her about how your not crazy and her baby will be okay, it's sort of like your brain short circuited a bit or a broken record as my psycologist put it. OCD can definatley cause depression and anxiety, I experience it from the OCD and another illness I have been dealing with. Best of luck, you'll be okay, I hope all went well with the doctor today (hey that rhymed, yes I get amused way to easily). okay I'm done;)

gogocrazy 01-05-2004 07:54 PM

Hey!

I didn't get meds. My mom said she would get them, but she didn't and I haven't asked her yet. I'm going to a psychologist on Thursday morning for kids who have OCD-like symptoms, but don't have OCD. My mom also bought me "Brain Lock" today and when I said "But you said I don't have OCD," she said "You don't, but in the first chapter it says it helps with rituals that are like OCD." I hope that if I do have OCD, which I still think I do, the psychologist will tell me it's more serious than just symptoms. If I don't, then it's great I'm getting help and hopefully I'll be able to beat my symptoms.

By the way, thanks for the replies TerryB and red16. By the way, good luck red16 with everything. Yeah, my parents are in a lot of denial, but everything's better than it was before. It's great that I'm going to a psychologist too because if I have anything else (like anxiety or depression), she'll probably catch that.

Anyways, I better get going. Thanks again!

Thanks,
Daniela

MrsLee 01-06-2004 07:32 AM

Daniela,

I am so glad you are finally getting help! I agree that you are being very strong. It definately sounds like you mom is in denial. I don't think it has anything to do with your relationships or openness with emotions. Mental disorders are exactly that: a disease with your brain that is not your fault. Psychologists know how these diseases work and should be able to explain this to your mom. Please don't worry about the exact diagnosis. The main thing is that you are getting help for your problem, whatever it may be. I am so proud of you. I can't wait to hear how your appointment goes. Good luck and take care!

gogocrazy 01-14-2004 05:40 PM

Hey!

My parents are still convinced that I'm completely normal. All my psychologist said was that it's definitely OCD-stuff and she mentioned that maybe I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I definitely think that I have OCD and I really want to get help. She's going to try to help me without medication, but if I don't show any progress, I'm probably going to get put on meds. I'm seeing her again tomorrow and then next Wednesday or Thursday, then after that again. We just haven't set any dates because I have my band trip that week. There's a slight chance that I won't be able to go, but I probably will be.

The psychologist seemed nice, but I really want an official diagnosis so that I'm sure and I don' thave to constantly ask myself if I am normal, if my parents are right, and if I'm just worrying for nothing. Whenever I question that it doesn't last long because a symptom starts up, but I question myself frequently. I don't know, I'm still very confused. I still think I'm depressed, but I don't know how to tell my psychologist. Any suggestions? I don't know if I am actually depressed, but a lot of times life doesn't seem worth living and I just want to die. I don't know.

Anyways, I'll post after I go to the psychologist tomorrow. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, and thanks for the reply Mrs.Lee!

Daniela

TerryB 01-14-2004 06:08 PM

Daniela,

Be absolutely truthful with your therapist. Write it down before you see her.
It is standard with young folks to try without meds first. Let us know what you are doing to combat the OCD. It will help reinforce it I think and we'll tell you if anything sounds fishy, like the psychologist is not too familiar with OCD.

Terry

red16 01-15-2004 12:23 PM

I'm glad your getting help:) definatley talk to your psychologist about the depression, you made need to be on medicine for that. are you seeing a psychiatrist aong with the psychologist(im so happy im finally remembering which is which because my memory has been shot lately lol)? I hope you start to feel better soon!