HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   Do you think it's possible that I have OCD? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/76771-do-you-think-its-possible-i-have-ocd.html)

Deborah22 02-08-2004 01:01 AM

Re: Do you think it's possible that I have OCD?

I find this all a little strange. I have severe OCD and, until I had a breakdown and was diagnosed a couple years ago, I totally believed that everything I did was either normal or a serious defect on my part which I would never have told anyone about. It sounds to me like possibly you want to have OCD and maybe what you really need is something to do that will keep you from dwelling on these "symptoms."

WizardPhrog 02-08-2004 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=Deborah22]I find this all a little strange. I have severe OCD and, until I had a breakdown and was diagnosed a couple years ago, I totally believed that everything I did was either normal or a serious defect on my part which I would never have told anyone about. It sounds to me like possibly you want to have OCD and maybe what you really need is something to do that will keep you from dwelling on these "symptoms."[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. I am 14 and while I have yet to be diagnosed, I think I may have OCD. I first noticed it a few months back, but I forget how it started. I thought I was just being really clean and it was absolutly nothing to worry about. However, then I found a chatroom in which people were talking about OCD. I matched one of the definitions to a T. Unlike Daniela, I don't dwell on the fact I might have OCD. However, had you read the recent posts, you would have found she did have OCD and was diagnosed.

That may had been your case, and I am sure many others' as well, but not every person is like that.
-Len

gogocrazy 02-08-2004 09:10 AM

Hey!

Thanks for the reply, aimazing, red16, WizardPhrog (well thanks for the three replies), DrummerKev147, FarmGirl30, and Deborah22.

I told my psychologist about my suicidal thoughts on Monday. She said she didn't have to tell my parents unless I told her I was going to kill myself. Otherwise she doesn't have to. She made me promise I wouldn't kill myself in the next week and I'm seeing her again tomorrow. I'm feeling a lot better now, however at this point in time things feel kind of hopeless. Thing are however, starting to turn around and I should be thankful, regardless of the bumps (as you mentioned, red16). If I'm feeling worse, I'll call a help line or something of the sort as you mentioned, aimazing. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, WizardPhrog. I feel like I can really relate to you. As you mentioned, my OCD is more generalized, however I also have a phobia of germs. I developed it recently though and it is not to the same extent as yours. Like you, I won't use public washrooms, I wash my utensils before I use them to make sure they're "clean," and I don't eat at other people's houses. I also won't touch public door knobs, or certain public items that I consider "contaminated." My mom thinks I'm crazy too. My dad also has rituals, so he understands a little better, but he still refuses to believe that I have OCD. Oh well, maybe they will eventually. Thanks again for the reply. If you ever need anything, I'm here.

Thanks for the reply, FarmGirl30. I have an immense amount of respect for you having gone through what you did. You post really made me reflect on how lucky I truly am. Thanks.

Along with Wizard Phrog, I disagree with you, Deborah22. As WizardPhrog mentioned, I have been diagnosed with OCD. I do not, in any way, want OCD. I do, however, want a cause for my absurd behaviors. I don't want the only explanation to be that I'm crazy. I believe that part of my dwelling on this is due to my GAD (which I have been diagnosed with in additon to my OCD). Actually, part of the diagnosis criteria for OCD is that the person realized, at one point during the disorder, that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive and illogical (this does not apply to children, however). I realized that my obsessions and compulsions did not make any sense and I did some research. I came along information of OCD in my research and I felt like I matched a lot of the things perfectly. Trying to distract myself from my OCD proves to be a useless attempt. At this point in time, it seems impossible for me to stop, but hopefully that will change. I do not in any way mean to offend you or give you the impression that I do not believe your situation was legitimate. My circumstances are very different than yours. I think that the majority of young people would be worried if they thought they had a mental illness, maybe not as much as I was though. I just don't agree with your statement.

Anyways, I should go. Thanks again for the wealth of replies. Sorry for not replying sooner, I was realy busy. I'll try to respond quicker than I did this last time. I'll post about how everything went with my psychologist.

Thanks,
Daniela

Deborah22 02-08-2004 10:48 AM

How very interesting! And I mean that seriously. I clearly have an entirely different problem than everyone else. I am most interested by your comment that you'd rather think there was a reason other than that you were crazy. I have a team of about 8 doctors - including those that the federal government made me see when I applied for disability. I see a therapist weekly. The focus of that therapy is that I need to understand that I [I]am[/I] crazy or, at least, that I will never be anything approaching normal. This has been incredibly liberating because I am no longer distressed by my inability to behave as other people do. I am learning to use my OCD in my career - I am a film producer so it is a very valuable tool - but at the same time am learning what my limitations are. For instance, because I'm obsessed with numbers and counting, I have to let my partner handle the budgets. I have a definite sense of having a handicap but one that is a blessing. My OCD is a serious part of who I am and I wouldn't be who I am without it.

I am always uncomfortable about sharing this part of it but my diagnosis is actually brilliant madness which manifests as OCD. Maybe that's the difference.

WizardPhrog 02-08-2004 03:55 PM

OCD can manifest in many different ways. I just learned today that my dad has OCD. He organizes everything and must having everything in a certain place. It's almost infinate how many kinds of OCD there are. However, no one is alone; that meaning everyone shares and OCD trait with another. Congrats on your improvment, Daniela!
-Len

TerryB 02-08-2004 06:42 PM

Hi Daniela, I'm glad that you are seeing someone about your OCD and putting all your symptoms out there for her to help you with. Terry

aimazing 02-10-2004 07:49 AM

Hi Daniella,
I'm glad you've told her. Does your physcologist give your parents updates on how you are doing, depending on whether you want them to know? I just wondered, because it was mentioned with mine.

I hope you don't feel any worse, but should you do so I've posted some of the helplines I mentioned below, as when I needed them I didn't know the numbers and could access them.

Childline: 0800 1111

The Samaritans 0845 7 909090 - & Samaritans' e-mail: [email][email protected][/email]

Youth 2 Youth (support and advice available) 020 8896 3675

Lifeline 0800 716701

Depression Alliance Tel 0131 467 3050

There's a few.

Hang in there. Take care. XxX