It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Major Fear of Vomit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
    VeganLady

VeganLady HB User
    Post Major Fear of Vomit

Okay, I'm not sure if I've came to the right place or not, but here goes.

I've been dealing with this for some time (about 3 years) and it just keeps getting worse. Everyone thinks I am insane because of my irrational fear of vomit. I'm being serious here. Here are just a few things to let you know how scared I really am...

First of all, I can't even watch TV or a movie. Any movie... I just keep thinking "Oh no! Someone is going to throw up!" I recently got talked into going to watch Cabin Fever with a friend... worst mistake ever. The whole movie was about people who were getting sick, of course. I sit in the theatre the whole time with my head burried in the chair and my ears covered because I didn't even want to hear the sound!

My b/f and I were in the car and he started feeling sick and thought he was going to throw up. I got so freaked out that I had a panic attack and almost jumped out of a moving car!

Of course, this fear also gives me a fear of germs. If I think anyone has a virus, I will cover my face when I get near them. If I hear there is a virus going around, I won't leave the house, and if I do, I won't touch anything or anyone!

The worst part? I have IBS and often suffer from nausea. When this happens I literally think I'm going to die. I can hardly breathe and I start shaking all over. I'd rather die that throw up during these times. I'm even afraid to go to sleep at night because I don't want to wake up and suddenly be sick. Getting in the car stresses me out, because I may get car sick! Boats are out of the question, and I'd hate to get sick on a plane! lol. If I am exposed to vomit, on TV or in life, I literally run away and hide and feel sick and upset the rest of the day. I won't eat hardly anything at times because I'm afraid of what it might be like if it came back up. Sorry to be so gross.

I guess I should mention that I am Bipolar, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

No one understands this. I just want to know that someone else may feel this way. Does anyone out there deal with this? How do you cope? Please, any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to VeganLady For This Useful Post:
    fearful1991 (06-07-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #2
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    Hi, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone! I am terrified of vomiting and of others doing it. I can't stand to see it, hear it, smell it, etc. I am scared to go to amusement parks, bars, restuarants, anywhere where someone might puke. Everyone just laughs at me-no one understands how real my fear is. I even get scared when people cough sometimes.

I believe this fear of vomit is called emetophobia or something, and I recently read about it on this board. There was a long thread about it as well as a link to a website that gave a very intersting description. I'm not sure what it was called, but you should try finding it.

Anyways, I don't have any solutions for you, I just wanted you to know you're not alone. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    Ok, I found the post I was talking about and bumped it up. Its called "emetophobia (vomitting) but this is different." Take a looky....

Old 10-16-2003, 08:05 PM   #4
    VeganLady

VeganLady HB User
    Thanks a lot MrsLee! I'll take a look right away.

Old 10-25-2003, 01:17 PM   #5
    fur20

fur20 HB User
    I too suffer from emitephobia and have almost my entire life although when I was younger I had no idea what it was. I am now 34 and pregnant and scared out of my mind. I have panic disorder and when a woman gets pregnant, the symptoms of panic can become way increased or for the lucky ones, it gets better. I am NOT one of the lucky ones and have been suffering a great deal lately. (For the last 5 weeks or so). I am afraid to leave the house for fear that I will throw up in public. I also cannot be near anyone who even just says they feel sick. I freak right out!!! I run the other way as fast as I can. I am so glad to know there are others out there, but what I really want to know is how to overcome this fear. Does anyone know any tricks or have any words of advice?? Are any of you housebound like I am because of this terrible fear?? I remember a few years back, Oprah Winfrey had the top 10 fears on her show and emitephobia ( or the fear of vomiting) was in that top 10, I believe even in the top 3, so I know we are not alone. I am just at my wits end trying to deal with panic disorder and emitephobia at the same time. Somebody please respond. Thanks!! Sorry, I just realized that I am replying to a post. I wanted to know the thread that you recommended to see if I can find it.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
    Tree Hugger
    (female)

Tree Hugger HB User
    no no no, you are NOT alone! I was surprised to see how many people have posted saying they too have this problem.. I do, but I dont know anyone else who does!
    to quote the first post
    "I'd rather die that throw up during these times. I'm even afraid to go to sleep at night because I don't want to wake up and suddenly be sick. Getting in the car stresses me out, because I may get car sick! "
    I agree completly. I get so anxious and nervous about going to sleep because I hate when I wake up and just KNOW im going to throw up!~ And I shake and I just sweat and cry! I mean CRY , i have gotten histarical about it before and had to be taken to the hospital to be tranquilized!!! This is a SERIOUS issue.. it is my biggest phobia and it is silly when I think about it. I mean few people ENJOY throwing up but I go insain about it and if I HEAR someone making vomiting sounds it makes me mental too and makes me nervous and nausious all day!!!!

Old 10-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
    VeganLady

VeganLady HB User
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It's good to know that I'm not totally alone. I don't personally know anyone with emetophobia, and no one I know 'gets it'. They always say, "Well, I don't like to throw up either." lol.

I was going to watch the movie "28 Days Later". Big mistake. I didn't even get to see the first 5 minutes. This woman got attacked by a monkey and, without any warning, she starts vomiting everywhere. I only saw the first couple seconds of the scene because I was to busy covering my eyes and ears and screaming. My b/f knew I wouldn't be able to watch anymore, so he turned it off.

Thats the worst part for me, everyone I know is a huge fan of horror movies. If I do make it through them, I am scared to death the whole time because someone MIGHT vomit. Which usually happens... the blood coming out of the mouth, I can't stand that either.

Okay, I've written another book.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:08 AM   #8
    Dixie Chick
    (female)

Dixie Chick HB User
    Unhappy

Believe me, VeganLady,

We all react the same way when there are those scenes in movies. Why do they have to show that anyway?

Old 10-28-2003, 07:45 AM   #9
    kascha0822

kascha0822 HB User
    I have the same fear as everyone who posted. It's a shame that we have to be on edge watching any kind of movie or TV show. The media is really overdoing it lately. YUK! There is a website that lists a ton of movies and will tell you if there are any vomit scenes. I use it everytime I am thinking of seeing a movie. I guess I can't post the link here can I?

Old 10-28-2003, 09:03 PM   #10
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Hi Vegan Lady,

I, too, have emetophobia. It used to be to the point where I didn't want to go to sleep because of fear of waking up and suddenly vomiting, but that's a little bit better now. I trained myself not to think about it as much, as hard as that is. I'm TERRIFIED of the stomach virus, because no matter what anti-vomiting drug you have on hand, you will most likely still vomit. I have an inner ear disorder that causes me to be naseous almost nonstop, and believe it or not, that caused me to be less afraid of throwing up, but only because I have medication to control the dizziness, which is what makes me nauseous in the first place. Anyway, the funny thing is, what really was helpful with my fear was living with a houseful of disgusting boys who were always puking. Whether they would eat too much KFC or would drink too much beer, they would be puking their brains out. At first, I couldn't handle it, but I got used to it and learned to not be as afraid because they were LAUGHING and continuing on with their lives right after as if it never even occured. They constantly used to try to make me throw up, and at one point, I tried to get over my fear by drinking 3 canteens of water in a row as fast as I could, but I never ended up puking, just feeling horrible. Anyway, as I type, I'm afraid that I'm jinxing myself by saying that I'm not as afraid as I used to be. Nothing I've said is really helpful to you, but I hope you laughed at my story a little bit. Take care, and I wish you luck on not being nauseous or vomiting!
    Dina

Old 10-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    Haha, what a funny story! I think it's true though. I walked in on my husband throwing up a couple months ago. I was horrified, but after the second time I realized it wasn't so bad. At least he made it to the toilet... I am still afraid of everyone else throwing up though.

here's a funny story for you guys. After he got done puking twice, he decided it was the fish he had for lunch that made him sick. I asked if there was anything I could get for him, and he says "Sonic." Of course I was a little surprised by that, but I said what do you want from Sonic? He says "a double cheese burger and a sonic size order of cheese fries." And he was serious! I was so disgusted by the thought of puking your guts up, then eating a meal like that.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #12
    JenBrooke123

JenBrooke123 HB User
    It's kind of funny, I never thought of it as a compulsion until now. I have throwing up, I hate hearing it seeing it and smelling it. Worse, and this sounds bad I hate knowing someone is sick from the flu, it scares me, I am afraid of getting the flu. Colds don't bother me as much as the stomach flu. I won't even travel around Chrismas or flu season in general, I am so afraid of getting the flu and thowing up in front of people. When my boyfriend had the stomach flu last year he comforted me more than I could him. I feel so ashamed, I want kids someday, how will I deal with them getting sick?

Old 11-06-2003, 10:45 AM   #13
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    I am SOOOO afraid of being pregnant (morning sickness) and then taking care of the kids (because kids throw up a lot).

I get very afraid of people with the flu too. I refused to get the flu shot this year (got it last year and it made me sick--no puking though, just fever and body aches). But what if it makes me throw up this year??? I don't get afraid of other people seeing me throw up though--I just hate to do it and I hate to see/hear/smell anyone else do it.

I am thinking about getting hypnotized for this fear. I got hypnotized because I was deathly afraid of spiders. I think it worked. I still hate them, but I don't get the panicky, paralyzed, scream-out-loud feeling when I see them now. I think maybe this would work for emetiphobia too. Has anyone tried this? If I can save up the $90 I might try it.

Closed Thread