It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• Mind's Internal Talk, guess it is OCD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
    robsf72
    (male)

robsf72 HB User
    Mind's Internal Talk, guess it is OCD

Hi everyone-

I wanted to see if anyone is experiencing similar symptoms I will describe below. If you do, can you pls share your techniques to fight with this:

- One thought gets stuck in my mind. And it stays there 24X7.
    - It is the first thing that comes to my mind in the morning
    - It is annoying and actually causes a good deal of anxiety

The thought is usually around the same theme, starting up a business. Here is an example:

My Internal Talk 1 (IT1): You found another great idea fully concentrate on executing it
    My Internal Talk 2 (IT2): But I do have a job, it is pretty demanding and my salary is decent tii
    IT1: Regardless, try to find time and try to see if you can make this great idea work
    IT2: Well, it causes a lot of stress and I dont need more money
    Pause.......
    IT1: Did you do anything about your great idea
    IT2: I didnt. Even if I dont quit my job and make this idea work, I know myself, there will be another idea and then another. I just cant work on 4 different things
    IT1: You cam make it work. Just try to work on it for an hour or two every day
    IT2: I know that once I start working on it I cannot concentrate on anything else. I guess I am obsessive
    IT1: OK, what is your decision?
    IT2: Leave me alone. I made my decision but this thought keeps coming to my mind. I am going to write on healthboards to see if I can get any help.

I realize that I had this since I was 12-13. I just didnt notice it at the time. And guess what, at that time, it was about my studies/homework and now it is about work. Very similar themes, if not the same. One reason I am realizing I may have OCD too late is because I associated OCD with a stereotypical example: Afraid of germs /wash hands. I dont have that hence I dont have OCD was what I used to think.

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. I think I have obsessive component of it too. I once heard anxiety and OCD are cousins. This may very well be true as my obsessive thoughts surface when my stress/anxiety level goes up. And obsessive thoughts then create more anxiety.

Any recommendations on how to break this cycle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread