It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

• How to talk to my doctor about OCD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
    emilyliz
    (female)

emilyliz HB User
    How to talk to my doctor about OCD?

I'm unsure about how to broach the possibility of me having OCD with my doctor, or if I should talk to my parents about it first even. I don't know what I'm supposed to say to her, if I should tell her my symptoms or just outright tell her I think I may have OCD.

For the record, some of my symptoms are:
    -Obsessive hand washing (I always have to wash my hands three times if I'm at home, and if I'm in a public place I have to wash my hands three times then use hand sanitizer. During the winter I had washed my hands so often they bled.)
    -Fear of germs. I don't like other people touching me (hugs are OK because they don't usually involved skin to skin contact), but if someone puts their bare hands on my skin I panic because other people never wash their hands well enough.
    -Need for order and organization. I actually don't mind so much when my room gets messy because I don't spend that much time in my room, but at least two or three times a month I feel anxious about the mess (even if its just something small like a bunch of papers or clothes lying on my desk) and I end up spending three hours reorganizing everything. This usually happens right before I go to bed, because I can't stand the thought of sleeping with a messy room, so on those nights I'll go to bed way too late so I can clean, and I already have problems sleeping anyway.
    -I'm so paranoid about catching sicknesses or diseases, or even passing on sicknesses or dieases to other people, even if I don't have them.
    -I had a panic attack and cried over the disorganized state of my sock drawer yesterday. Point in case.

So I don't know how to approach my doctor, or even if I should really, or what to say. I just don't want to seem crazy or whiney or like I'm over exaggerating everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
    TrainOfThought
    (male)

TrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB User
    Re: How to talk to my doctor about OCD?

It sounds like it, even though I might be wrong, I think that what you are describing is OCD. To be sure, I strongly encourage you to seek for professional help and a proper diagnose. The first step in treating your condition is seeking for help and telling those who are close about it ( your parents/ family). So I will recommend talking to your parents first and explaining how you feel and what are you experiencing.
    It maybe tough and uncomfortable to talk about this at first, but it must be done. Talk to your parents and then together seek for proper treatment and diagnose.
    As for what you want to say to the doctor or your parents, nothing specific really, just tell them how you feel, what is happening to you and what do you think it is. Just be honest and everything is gonna be fine.
    Remember there is nothing to be ashamed of, a mental disorder is just like a physical one. It is not your fault and in no way OCD or any mental disorder makes you a less, weaker, weird or stupid person. OCD can be treated with proper therapy.
    Hope this reply helps. Anything else you have in mind don't hesitate to ask.
    Take Care.

Closed Thread

Tags
    mental health, obsessive compulsive disorder