It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Occupational Health & Safety Message Board

• Question about Heavy Metals Urine analysis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
    Rabbit1987
    (male)

Rabbit1987 HB User
    Question about Heavy Metals Urine analysis

Is the Urine analysis a good way to detect heavy metals over a long period of time??

what is the best way to see if you have had heavy metals in your system

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Question about Heavy Metals Urine analysis

is this work related?if so,and if there was any chance of some sort of a contamination,your employer should have been doing this all along.if not,i do believe that any real metal would have to be specifically tested for in the urine/blood with a very specific type of test just for that metal.don't quote me on that.i just know whenever they are trying to look for something within your body,in most cases,they do have to be very specific as far as what it is the test is looking for.this would be my best guess at this point.sorry i don't know any real specifics here just have knowledge of alot of blood tests and urine.what is it you are worried about?Marcia

Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Urine analysis really isn't the best method, since it usually requires taking a chelation agent to get the metals mobilized out of the tissues so they'll be excreted. Unfortunately, the mobilization of these metals means they'll also be settling somewhere else in your body and possibly causing more problems.

There are two other methods I know of that can be used to test for heavy metals.

One is an RBC Elements blood test. This tests the amount of metals/minerals in the red blood cells themselves. It gives a better idea of what's in the tissues, rather than just what's circulating.

The other is hair analysis. Now while this isn't always exact, due to how various people tend to excrete heavy metals (some get rid of them, some hold onto them), it can give an idea of when and how much you were exposed to.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nyxie63; 09-14-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
    Rabbit1987
    (male)

Rabbit1987 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
    Urine analysis really isn't the best method, since it usually requires taking a chelation agent to get the metals mobilized out of the tissues so they'll be excreted. Unfortunately, the mobilization of these metals means they'll also be settling somewhere else in your body and possibly causing more problems.

There are two other methods I know of that can be used to test for heavy metals.

One is an RBC Elements blood test. This tests the amount of metals/minerals in the red blood cells themselves. It gives a better idea of what's in the tissues, rather than just what's circulating.

The other is hair analysis. Now while this isn't always exact, due to how various people tend to excrete heavy metals (some get rid of them, some hold onto them), it can give an idea of when and how much you were exposed to.

Hope this helps.
    Yes thank you this helps very much

Feelbad this is work related, I am going through a number of mental and physical symptoms and wondering what could cause them

Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would most definitely contact the human resource person at your workplace.there are certain things that kind of have to be done if this was happening in your workplace.OHSA would possibly need to be contacted to check on safety of your work environment as well.if something is actually going on with you from a contamination,even if cumulative,it is a work comp related case.your human resource person just needs to know.good luck,and please keep us posted.Marcia

Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
    porterville
    (female)

porterville HB User

Hi Everybody

My husband lost many a job by the Metals Urine analysis. He is 66 years old now and retired.

When he was young, they did the metal analysis by testing the urine. That told them if he has albumin in the kidneys. Therefore, he did not get the job. When he was a boy he was around lead all of the time. People back then, did not know that there was anything wrong with heavy metals.

Love Ruth

Closed Thread