It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• refused for being a non-compliant patient? from six years ago?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
    SND33
    (female)

SND33 HB User
    refused for being a non-compliant patient? from six years ago?

I had a child in 2009. I was on Medicaid and 18 at the time. At my 6 week postpartum checkup I had a pap. A day later I developed a yeast infection, common in pregnant or recently pregnant women. I went to Walmart, bought Monistat, and the ordeal was over with. A couple days after my yeast infection wa gone I was called one time by the dr office. They left a voicemail saying that I had an abnormal pap. I was sure it was the yeast infection. I knew by the time I scheduled an app my Medicaid would no longer be valid and I didn't want to pay out of pocket for them to tell me I had a yeast infection. After all, I was working full time, going to school part time, and just had a baby. Looking back, there could have been a more serious problem than a yeast infection but I was young and dumb and if it was that serious maybe they would call me more than once.

Now, 6 years later, I am having my second child. I am currently 9weeks pregnant. I have Cigna insurance and Medicaid as secondary insurance. I tried to make an appointment and they first said they don't accept Cigna but she would have the head lady(not sure of her title) call me back. I called the woman every day consistantly for a week. She called me back the following week to tell me she could not accept me because I was non compliant.. 6 years ago for not coming on for a follow up. Technically I understand that IS in fact mon compliant but under my circumstances I could not afford to. She said they tried to contact me on several ways, but I was only called once. I didn't know about payment plans etc. i have heard about doctors dismissing patients because of constant non compliant behavior or someone trying to sue, but that was one time when I was 18. I really liked my midwife and really want to return to that office. Is there not any way to speak with someone about my circumstances SIX years ago? If so, who do I need to talk to and what do I need to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
    DiHuf
    (female)

DiHuf HB User
    Re: refused for being a non-compliant patient? from six years ago?

I suppose that if I were you, I'd write a letter to the midwife and post it in the mail. Real mail not email. I would try to explain the circumstances at the time and also share your confidence in her practice. I would apologize and ask if there any steps that you could take so that you could again be a patient in her practice.

I am not sure how having *both* a private insurance policy and medicaid works but I'm assuming that the private insurance takes precedence over state aid. You might be out of luck (unless you can afford to pay out of network/out of pocket) for a physician who isn't in your network. I have no idea what role your past non-compliance may play in your acceptance as a current patient. I do wonder if they are concerned that if they do accept you as an obstetrical patient that you will also require (previously neglected on your part - they have no idea that you believe Monistat cured your abnormal PAP) gynecological treatments for which they will not receive adequate compensation. In other words, they may fear that it may lose them money to have you as patient. Healthcare is a profit driven industry in the US and we all suffer from that reality.

I do understand wanting to have the same physician/midwife who was there and helped you have a positive and good outcome during your first pregnancy/delivery. But, even in the best of worlds, doctors and nurses move on and we patients are left finding new doctors and nurses to help us along. Take some time to look up the names of midwives/obstetricians in your area who take your insurance. Put their names into google/yahoo search and look for reviews. I'm sure that you will be able to find a new midwife/obstetrician that can help you have a wonderful second pregnancy and delivery.

Good luck!

Closed Thread