It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Some Very Odd Symptoms ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
    penneyn
    (female)

penneyn HB User
    Some Very Odd Symptoms ...

Hello, all! havenít posted here in quite a while, but am having some very strange issues that seem crazy, but I donít have a clue as to what might be causing them, or where to even begin discussing them with my doctor.
    Background: I am a 68 year old female, diagnosed with and being treated successfully for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, lower back pain due to an annular fissure of one of my L4-L5 discs, and low thyroid. After a recent hospital visit for emergency gallbladder surgery, it was discovered that I am anemic, although we donít know the cause yet, as we are waiting on lab results to find out.

My issue is what I have jokingly called ĎBig Box Store Syndromeí because the problem started becoming apparent whenever I would go shopping at Walmart, Target, a grocery store or just about any place similar to those. I am fine for about the first ten minutes or so, but then I start to perspire heavily, particularly around my neck and hairline; my hearing starts to sound like I am underwater; I breathe with a bit of difficulty; finally, my legs start to give out on me and I am forced to find a place to sit down for about ten minutes before I can recover.

I know that any of my health issues can cause one or two of these problems or a combination of several of them. The perspiring and the shortness of breath might suggest heart issues, but my recent hospital stay ruled out that possibility. I know that my back issues can cause the problem with my legs, but I am not sure how the other symptoms come into play. I just wonder if anyone has had a similar problem, or can give me an idea of what to talk to my doctor about? If anyone has any suggestions or opinions, I would be grateful if you would share them. Thanks for any help you can give!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: Some Very Odd Symptoms ...

I wouldn't worry about what to talk to your doctor about. Just tell him what you're experiencing just like you did here and let him/her sort it out. It sounds like you are close to passing out and the causes could be anything from a med reaction, anxiety, pain, and everything in between, including something heart related or nothing at all.

Why do you say your hospital stay ruled out heart issues? Did you undergo 24 hour monitoring? Even if so, something may turn up during your normal at home daily routine that may not have occurred while in the hospital. Just a thought.

Hope you can get this solved. I can see why you might be worried but the only way to solve this is to get your doctor involved..

Last edited by Harri3t; 07-20-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Some Very Odd Symptoms ...

It may be that your anemia is causing you to have autonomic reactions during exertion. These are involuntary nervous system reactions that cause sweating, weakness, shortness of breath and make one feel awful. The anemia doesn't affect you as much during rest, you will notice its effects more during exertion of any kind. You might try shopping with an electric cart so you can sit and drive around the store, until your anemia gets figured out and corrected.

Closed Thread