It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Very worried, does anyone know what's wrong?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
    Blue180112
    (female)

Blue180112 HB User
    Very worried, does anyone know what's wrong?

Hi. As the title says... I'm really worried and I've spent a lot of time googling etc to no avail. I'm so fed up.

My main symptom is that I ache all the time. Some days its just generally all over and other days its very local, in my arms or legs. It feels like I want to put pressure on my joints, particularly my wrists.

The other main symptom is chronic fatigue, frequent napping but also sometimes insomnia, never ever feeling refreshed etc. Some days feel like all I can do is sleep.

I had a blood test a few months ago which showed low vitamin D - I was given a high dose of supplements for 10 weeks.

I had another blood test last week which showed low calcium (if anything, my calcium levels should have been high because of the vitamin D....) it also showed positive antibodies.

Other symptoms/factors:

Depression and Anxiety (I take citalopram for these)

Obesity (BMI 38)

Hypermobility (diagnosed 2.5 years ago)

My mum has rheumatoid arthritis (negative RF - my RF is also negative)
    Soreness on my skin - this is very hard to describe, its very subtle but very annoying. It stops me from sleeping. It kind of feels like, when you've been out in the cold and come in, and your skin feels a bit stingy/sensitive. Its like that. I feel like I want to rub my skin. (I've never heard of this - can anyone relate to it??)

Slight tingling in my face and hands which lasts a few seconds at a time, maybe once a day or less.

A lot of gas (never has this until a few weeks ago)

Feel like my heart is pounding often, particularly at night when I'm trying to sleep, however my heart has been checked and I've been told there are no problems with it.

I'm female, 24, a stay at home mother, never smoked, rarely drink.

Can anyone help at all? Chronic fatigue syndrome has been mentioned to me brefore, but apparently for that there needs to be a clear starting point but tbh I don't think there was. I actually think I've been like this maybe all my life. I've always had aches but put them down to "growing pains", I've also had a very low fitness level my whole life, even as a kid when I wasn't overweight I was always last in sports, always out of breath at the slightest effort. I've always been a tired type as well. But now.. honestly I just feel ill. I feel like an old woman. I've also looked into hypoparathyroidism (is that right? - where there is low levels of the hormone so my body doesn't absorb calcium - therefore low calcium)... however I can't seem to find much into on this. My doctor wants me to have another blood test which is a week on Monday... I'm not sure what this is for. In the meantime I'm stressing myself out speculating. I'm just so worried I've got cancer or something life-threatening please... any ideas??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
    seniorship
    (male)

seniorship HB User
    Re: Very worried, does anyone know what's wrong?

Have you had any general examinations, blood, x-rays, etc. by a trusted medical practitioner? That might close the issue. Just choose the best internist available in your place. Your current doctor does not seem to help you anyway.

Alternative medicine could help - yoga and meditation, tai-chi, acupuncture, massage, etc. Your condition seems to be physical and also psychological.

If ever your general physical examinations are normal, go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. This does not mean that you are insane. People like you and me can approach these doctors if ever we have some problems with our mind. The mind or our mental health affects alot of our physical condition. Worry or anxiety could even lead to a serious health issue.

I hope my advice could help you.

Last edited by seniorship; 09-21-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your symptoms sound like a possible autoimmune disorder, and with a family history of RA, I would focus on ruling out autoimmune diseases first. What do you mean you had positive antibodies? Antibodies are specific to the target they fight, ie, germs or specific cellular substances, for example. That would be helpful information to clarify. I would ask your Dr. to check you for low thyroid hormones, anti-thyroid antibodies for Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, ANA for lupus and other similar autoimmunes, sed rate and CRP for inflammation, and a urinalysis. A parathyroid hormone level would be reasonable too if your calcium is more than just borderline low, as hypoparathyroidism can be autoimmune as well. Low calcium often causes muscle twitches or spasm, so if you have those symptoms, it should be tested. The tingling in face could be related to that. A check for anemia should also be done, since fatigue is prominent and anemia occurs in many autoimmune conditions. I hope that helps some and you get answers quickly.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
    Blue180112
    (female)

Blue180112 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Your symptoms sound like a possible autoimmune disorder, and with a family history of RA, I would focus on ruling out autoimmune diseases first. What do you mean you had positive antibodies? Antibodies are specific to the target they fight, ie, germs or specific cellular substances, for example. That would be helpful information to clarify. I would ask your Dr. to check you for low thyroid hormones, anti-thyroid antibodies for Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, ANA for lupus and other similar autoimmunes, sed rate and CRP for inflammation, and a urinalysis. A parathyroid hormone level would be reasonable too if your calcium is more than just borderline low, as hypoparathyroidism can be autoimmune as well. Low calcium often causes muscle twitches or spasm, so if you have those symptoms, it should be tested. The tingling in face could be related to that. A check for anemia should also be done, since fatigue is prominent and anemia occurs in many autoimmune conditions. I hope that helps some and you get answers quickly.
    Hi Ladybug, thanks for your reply. My doctor didn't tell me which antibody it was, however I have had positive antinuclear antibodies in the past, 2.5 years ago when I was diagnosed with hypermobility. When I saw the rheumatologist who diagnosed me following a physical examination she said she wasn't concerned and it never got looked into. So I think my gp may have tested for that again. She didn't say how low my calcium was. I do get muscle twitches but they just last probably less than a second and tbh I've never paid much attention to them, just assumed they are normal.... I've had my iron and thyroid checked umpteen times and they're always fine. I keep researching and finding conditions but none of them seem to fit entirely hmpphh.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
    Blue180112
    (female)

Blue180112 HB User

Sorry *Ladybud

Old 09-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Hypermobility of joints can be a sign of RA and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. A + ANA is seen in several autoimmune disorders, but is classic for lupus and mixed connective tissue disease. It seems a good rheumatologist could sort this out.

Closed Thread