It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Rib Growth or Lump that Attached itself to Lowest Rib. HELPPPPP!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
    Onnit112
    (male)

Onnit112 HB User
    Rib Growth or Lump that Attached itself to Lowest Rib. HELPPPPP!!!!!!!

I have a slew of other symptoms but I won't get into that now. What I am interested in and need help investigating are mysterious lumps that have seem to attached to my lowest portion of my lowest ribs and are growing and are as hard and bony as the rib itself. More info on test i've done and more details about my questions below.

Imaging and Blood test I've receive:

CT scan: head, abdominal both without contrast
    Xray: Chest and Lumbar Spine
    Mri: Brain and Cervical Neck without contrast
    Nuclear Bone Scan

Results: Mild Stenosis and Mild Spondylitis in my Cervial Mri and Lumbar spine

Blood test:

Had pretty much every standard blood test you can think of and only abnormalties found was Postive ANAs. My C-Reactive Protein and sed rate is low and within range and My Alkaline Phostatase is also low and within range.

Upcoming test to be done:

Mri of Brain Stem with and without Contrast
    Mra of Cervical Neck
    Mra of Brain
    EEG

I have a few questions here.

First, is it possible for a Autoimmune disorder to be present even if I have no Inflammation due to low C-reactive protein and Sed Rate?

Secondly, I have these weird lumps that are growing on both side of my lowest ribs. The lowest portion of the lowest ribs, if that makes any sense, the portion closet to your hips. First I noticed a small grape size hard bony lump on my left that actually aches. I investigated my right size to find a similar, much smaller lump that was softer and free standing(floating and not connected to the rib) but am getting pains in that area as well. The lump on the left keeps slowly growing and now after 2 months the lump on the right is now larger, harder and connected to the exact same spot the one on the left is. These are the only physical changes and symptoms I have. Many doctors have felt the one one the left and are baffle. They have never showed up in my CT Scans or in My bone scan. My doctor also told me it cannot be related to my bones due to my within range alkaline phostasphase. What can these once free standing lumps be and why did they grow and now are attached to both side of my ribs and they ache and twinge all day. The skin around the areas are always itching as well. Any help with answering these questions would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Rib Growth or Lump that Attached itself to Lowest Rib. HELPPPPP!!!!!!!

I am wondering if it could be a form of ankylosing spondylitis since you mention having cervical and lumbar spondylitis. Sometimes this can affect the ribs/cartilage between the ribs and muscle attachments.

Have you seen a rheumatologist?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Yes you can have an autoimmune disorder even with normal sed rate and CRP. Sometimes the inflammation is just not severe enough to affect these blood markers. I would think rib xrays or ultrasound of the lumps could be helpful. You could have costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the lower ribs, a cyst or benign tumor in the cartilage, and an imaging procedure should be done of that area. The fact they are tender and itchy indicates inflammation, and costochonditis is common in lupus and other autoimmune problems.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
    Onnit112
    (male)

Onnit112 HB User

First off, Thank you for replying and helping out with my issues. I appreciate it from both of you and anyone else that can provide some advice in the future as well.

I have had 2 chest X-rays in the past 8 months but due to the lenght of the Xray image and my abnormally large torso. Each and every time the lowest portion of my ribs are cut off and not shown. So the area of suspect is always not pictured.

I have had 2 abdominal and pelvic CT scans in the past 5 months as well. Neither one of those shown anything out of the ordinary.

My dozens upon dozens of intermittent symptoms, my attacks that render me immobile and the growth on my ribs have all been scanned and tested but again only abnormality is the Positive ANAs.

I have a appt with a Rheumatologist but its for a whole another month as i've been waiting several months already to see him. I've been told I need a ultrasound and biopsy of those lumps and maybe a orthopedic surgeon to look at it. I was wondering if my Rheum could possible order those test? Any other recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
    Onnit112
    (male)

Onnit112 HB User

Oh, and as far as the spondylitis goes. That was actually in my lumbar spine and that i can explain. I've been experiencing mild back aches for years due to a bad mattress and the mild stenosis of my cervical spine, I'm not to sure. I am highly active and carried alot of weight in my line of work. I don't know if that would be a common injury but prior to this I was an extrememly healthy and strong individual.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your rheum could order the ultrasound and then refer you to a surgeon for the biopsy if it is even needed after ultrasound. It may show benign inflammation/swelling of cartilage, which would not require biopsy. It would be unusual to develop a malignancy on both sides in same place. So I would not worry about cancer. The attacks you describe, the rib area enlargement, the + ANAs seem to add up to an autoimmune disorder, which the rheum should be able to sort out. Yes, carrying heavy weight over long periods of time puts a stress on the lower back and can contribute to sponylitis and disc deterioration of spine.

Last edited by ladybud; 09-24-2015 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added

Old 09-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #7
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onnit112 View Post
    Oh, and as far as the spondylitis goes. That was actually in my lumbar spine and that i can explain. I've been experiencing mild back aches for years due to a bad mattress and the mild stenosis of my cervical spine, I'm not to sure. I am highly active and carried alot of weight in my line of work. I don't know if that would be a common injury but prior to this I was an extrememly healthy and strong individual.
    im curiouis about the rib growths, do they look like they are part of the bone, like hard as the bone, boney growth. or some kind of soft tissue kind of growth.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
    Onnit112
    (male)

Onnit112 HB User

The growth of the lump is definitely connected to my bone. It is hard and boney and feel as if it was a growth. It feels as if its now (or was always but didnt noticed) connected to one or couple of my floating ribs as well. It has not grown significantly in the last month of two but has grown twice its size from when i intiatially discovered it 3 months ago. Its very hard to describe but it could also definitely be a growth from my floating ribs that grew up and is pressing against my lowest left rib as well. All I know is its definitely a growth and all the doctors who feel it ask me if i ever broken my ribs, which i have never. It was definitely not there 4 months ago.

I also just had a MRA of my neck and brain done and they found a few abnormalities but nothing significant in my brain MRA. If anyone is savvy with MRA brain terminology and can help me figure out exactly what my report means. It would be greatly appreciated.

The reports on the Brain MRA is following:

"Right internal carotid artery: A 2mm inferiorly-directed outpouching of flow-related enhancement from the supraclinoid right internal carotid artery likely represents the infundibular origin of a hypoplastic vessel sch as the right PCOM. A tiny aneurysm is felt to be much less likely but not entirely excluded."

"Right posterior communicating artery: Hypoplastic or absent."

"Left posterior communicating artery: Hypoplastic or absent."

"Vertebrobasilar system: Slightly dominant left vertebral artery. Small right AICA. Bilateral large PICA branches. No vertebral or basilar stenosis."

Tiny, 2mm inferiorly-directed outpouching of flow-related enhancement from the supraclinoid right internal carotid artery. most likely representing the infundibular origin of a vessel too small to be seen. An aneurysm is considered much less likely but is not entirely excluded. Consider a followup MRA to ensure that there is no interval growth.

Any help further analysing this information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
    Onnit112
    (male)

Onnit112 HB User

And Again, I like to thank all of those who took time in replying and answering any of my questions.

Closed Thread

Tags
    autoimmune, bone, growth, lump