It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Could This Be Result Of Magniseium Deficiency?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
    VHDud78
    (male)

VHDud78 HB User
    Angry Could This Be Result Of Magniseium Deficiency?

Hello everyone,

For 7 months I've been exerpiencing a number of issues. To start things off I went to a massage therapist for an achy shoulder. She found several knots in the brachial plexus region. She said my muscles were incredibly tight. I was in pain the entire massage...I didn't feel good. She told me to slow down on the weight lifting and take magnesium. My shoulder still felt a little achy but after taking magnesium and stretching it went away.

April came along and it came back with a vengeance. I was also getting numbing/tingling along my arm. I went to my doctor and he ordered physical therapy. Therapy helped..but didn't fix it. I started getting painful muscle spasms in my neck as well. I started having issues in my left shoulder and arm as well. I continued to do physical therapy exercises and returned to the gym with light weight. I went back to the massage therapist and she said my muscles were still incredibly tight and found knots everywhere.

In May the scary symptoms hit. Stiff neck neck (Not really paintful..just very stiff), dizziness, horrible ache in my right leg, tingling in both arms, headaches, facial sensations, twitching everyone, restless legs pain, gait abnormalities, horrible coordination problem, behind the eye..you name it I had it. MRI of cervical spine perfect..xrays normal..MRI of brain normal..neuro suspected MS. Told me I had nerve irritation in the neck. I went to an ENT for the dizzy sensations. He said he could tell I was dizzy. He did all of his test and said he thought it was stemming from my neck. I went back to physical therapy. They were baffled by my symptoms. They gave me stretches and exercises and told me I had to deal with it because I lift weights and work behind a desk..despite the fact they complemented me on my posture. I was lost. I went to another neurologist and he reviewed my cervical MRI as well as my brain MRI. He said it was clean. He ordered an MRI of my lumbar spine. Some degeneration at L5..but he said I had that for a very long time and was not worried. EMG normal. I was desperate and sought help for a chiropractor. The chiro did all of his tests and I was WAY out of alignment. I was shocked. I've been getting adjusted for about 4 months now. The stiffness in my neck is almost normal..although I do have some "spasm" attacks. I still have stiffness in my right leg..occasional twitching in my legs..numbness tingling/weakness in my right arm..burning sensations in my left arm..headaches in the morning, upper backache in the morning..and still have the off balance/dizzy feeling. By now I was suspected maybe thoracic outlet syndrome. The chiropractor said he didn't suspect that and thought maybe this was a magnesium deficiency. I told him I didn't think it was because I took 400 mg a day and ate a lot of spinach. He told me to increase it to 500-600 to see how I feel. I realized that I had been supplementing wrong. The serving size listed on the bottle is 3 pils and I was taking 1 It also has calcium/D/and zinc. My doctor ordered blood tests for iron, D, thyroid, electrolytes in June and said they were normal. If I had a magneseium deficieny.. wouldn't those levels be out of spec? Has anyone had similar issues? I'm so lost as to what it could be.

Current symptoms

Morning-
    Headache
    Dizzy
    backache
    stiffness in right leg
    Stiff right arm

Dizzy thoughout the day..numbness in my right arm/fingers. Burning sensations in my left arm with numb pink/index finger. Feeling off balance. Arms shake when lifting weights (I lift seldom now), legs feel like they lack energy when doing cardio.Coordination issues..mainly with hands.

Last edited by VHDud78; 11-10-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Could This Be Result Of Magniseium Deficiency?

What's your diet like? Are you drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
    xxPandoraxx
    (female)

xxPandoraxx HB User

Do you have white spots under nails at all?

Do you have any toilet problems ?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
    EdwardB
    (male)

EdwardB HB User

Wow been having similar symptoms for 5 weeks. Havent had numbness in my leg but have had it in fingers and hands.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi VHDud78,

I have to keep up with very regular stretches, esp. if I sit for awhile. I also need regular massage and chiropractic adjustments. Working out is great, but maybe you also don't stretch properly before and after. Maybe you don't warm up enough before working out. Maybe you need to do that more than you already do. Of course these are just suggestions, but they may be part of what you need.

That aside, I wanted to share that all magnesium is not equal. The only kind we can digest easily is magnesium citrate, and abt 400 mg daily is enough. However, maybe you need more if you take in too much calcium. You can tell by whether the stool is excessively soft, then back off the magnesium a little.
    You might want to eat spinach less. It may be causing an iron imbalance.

Excess iron (excess is anytime it is more than you personally need) is common in males and can cause severe problems. Giving blood every year is a preventative measure.

Let us know how you are doing and what works to help you.

Last edited by yayagirl; 11-24-2015 at 03:24 AM.

Closed Thread