It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Really worried ... chest pain and more

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
    robbiede88
    (male)

robbiede88 HB User
    Unhappy Really worried ... chest pain and more

Hi all Im really worried lately that I have a heart issue(possibly a clogged artery) and that Im headed straight towards a heart attack. Some background is I'm 28 overweight, 5'11" 300 lbs. have high cholesterol, and somewhat active e but don't workout regularly and have been trying to watch my diet, although in the previous 5-7 years its not been good and has gotten me to my current weight. The only definite diagnosis I have is that I have multiple bulging discs in my back, as well as degenerative disc disease, kyphosis(slight curvature of the spine) and schmorl nodes. The symptoms Im experiencing and have been for the past few months are; upper back pain that spreads down the whole left side, intermittent chest pain on the left side - sometimes dull sometimes sharp, sometimes more to the left of my chest sometimes more towards the middle. Left arm pain, once again sometimes sharp in my elbow wrist and fingers especially finger tips, but also sometimes dull and squeezing almost as if I have a blood pressure cuff on. Ive also had some dull aches in my left jaw that are not severe, and come and go. I get anxious feelings at night along with mild light headedness and a pounding heartbeat that usually keeps me from falling asleep. Ive had an mri on my back which lead to the spine diagnoses, a CT of my chest that has ruled out any type of issue with my lungs, last month I had a exercise stress test, an echocardiogram, as well as wore a holter monitor for 24 hours. The results from all of them were normal other than my heart rate during the stress test did not get as high as they would have liked, but I was so out of breath(assumingly because Im so out of shape) that I could not continue. I get most of these pains independent of the others, other than the back pain which is always there. There are times however that I will have a few pains in conjunction with one another for example chest pain with the tightness in my arm. Even though my tests so far have come back normal, no one has been able to say what is causing all of these symptoms, and when I research possible causes online they almost all come back to heart disease. I constantly worry myself sick that the Drs are missing somehting especially becasue most of these symptoms occur at rest, not during exertion, which is how I was stress tested on the treadmill. Just hoping that someone has had a similar experience that can share with me because right now I'm worried and I'm stumped about what to do next. any reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rob.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
    cragsdale
    (female)

cragsdale HB User
    Re: Really worried ... chest pain and more

So far in my experience doctors certainly do not know everything. If you truly feel you aren't getting the answers you need when you know something is wrong, you need to push more or find a new doctor who will listen. I've had a rough few years culminating when I was in a car accident in 2015. Head trama, broken hand, and l5 disk issue. I gained over 100 lbs in 3 years from sitting on my butt and eating emotionally. I now have pre-diabetes. The past couple of days I've had dizzy spells, irregular heatbeat, high blood pressure, trouble breathing, headache, and ringing in my ears. Last night my husband was sure I was having a heart attack, but I'm so sick of doctors I told him I was fine and went to bed. Today I still feel like crap but my blood pressure is back down. I'm on a "healthy lifestyle" kind of diet for the past few weeks. It means I'm not losing anything quickly, but I'm learning to eat properly. Once you put on enough weight everything in your body goes nuts. Personally, I'm taking care of my diet and exercise without the doctor. Again, sick of them. I'm down only 10 pounds in 3 weeks, which means I have a long way to go. I exercise to the point my back cannot handle more. A lot of yoga style stuff is easier on my back. Then I use an elliptical a couple times a day for 5 minutes or so. Yeah, I'd lose faster if I did more, but with back problems, you need to be careful. If you think you can better your life on your own without a doctor I would encourage you to do it. But if you think it's serious, camp there until they help you. With my back they did MRIs and xrays and kept telling me it was soft tissue. over a year later they saw the disk issue on a previously normal mri. I almost gave up more than once. I'm glad I didn't. I have physical therapy exercises now that made all the difference. My hand had been broken, and when they casted a simple boxers fracture it hurt to the point I was crying. The next day I called and said it wouldn't stop swelling and was incredibly painful, and I let them blow me off. I went a month icing it to try to keep swelling down and being told it was normal. They took off the cast and they had broken it further and let it completely heal that way. Then they told me it would be fine as is, it wasn't that bad. Since I no longer had a knuckle I finally went to someone else. 2 hand surgeries later I now am set up for at least one more in my lifetime and pain for the rest of my life. Never let them tell you they can't find something or that it's normal. You know what you feel better than they do. Good luck to you.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
    robbiede88
    (male)

robbiede88 HB User
    Re: Really worried ... chest pain and more

Thanks very much for your reply. I try to put atleast some trust in doctors just for my own sanity haha. I obviously didn't go to medical school so all I could do is guess what's wrong based off what I read on threads like this or other Internet material. Sometimes I think that half the issue is all of the reading online that I do and I am freaking myself out more than needed. However at the same time the symptoms I have are real and I do have risk factors for heart issues(weight, inactivity, cholesterol, formerly a smoker) so I am in a constant struggle with myself deciding whether or not I'm being rational and that my worries are warranted. My cardiologist basically said that the only fool proof way to know for certain whether or not you have coronary artery disease is to do an angiogram, but he didn't recommend it at my age, and even though it would put my mind at ease if I did it, I'm not sure I want to at this point without the recommendation of a doctor, knowing it can have some serious risks associated with it. Like you I am trying to eat a healthier diet but am not losing fast because of my back and utter lack of time to exercise due to a hectic work schedule. One thing I do know is that if I do not lose weight soon, I'm in line for certain disaster at some point. Anyway thanks for the input it gave me some things to think about

Closed Thread

Tags
    arm pain, chest pain, heart attack, heart disease, jaw pain