It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• Concerned about Health

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
    GrumpyOldMan84
    (male)

GrumpyOldMan84 HB User
    Unhappy Concerned about Health

Hi Everyone,

Posting in this topic and not sure where to post this, but it is a concerning issue to me. Despite my username, I am not that old but rather only 32 just want to remain anonymous due to my career, I am still happy to integrate under this username.

Firstly, sorry for the long post. Sadly doctors and other medical professionals flick me off when I get straight to the issue without some back ground as will be revealed.

But my concern...... I am a healthy 32 year old man who has regular health checks that show I am healthy with less than 1% risk of heart attack of stroke, yet I am still concerned and really want some input from others. I have been to scared for my career to approach many people about this as it could cost me my job.

But a little back ground, as a teenager and into my young 20's I lived well. I occasionally smoked and regularly drank beer in moderation. I was (and still are) fit, health and at the time not a care in the world. Until a life changing event.......

Up until my mid 20's I use to eat 4 large (healthy) meals a day along with fitness training. But things changed, I had a child with my wife and I now have 3 children. The more children I have had the worse my health concerns have become. As a result I have had the snip to end this down hill spiral, but don't get me wrong as my kids are my world.

The issue is the cost of food in New Zealand, I can no longer eat 4 main meals a day as it is un-affordable. How ever my body has not adapted to this and the issue has come from 2 directions....... Smoking suppresses my appetite and beer makes me feel full, Beer and Smokes are a lot lower cost than food.

Before conclusions are jumped on........ I can stop smoking when required, proved by family travel and holidays as well as the smoke free work environment. Although this is becoming harder and harder, i.e. I am becoming more addicted........ Beer is not required, it just helps. If a mate asks me to be sober driver for the night or I need to be working on something requiring my full focus then it is gone just like that.

The issue is that I am hungry and this is a low cost way of dealing with that fact. But what is it doing to my long term health and how to I break this cycle / fix this problem, it becomes more of a problem every day.......

I have talked to doctors and professionals but no one wants the full story, they want to prescribe drugs that don't work because they do not target the core issue...... I am hungry.

I am healthy, fit and strong but this lifestyle is affecting these 3 things, I can feel it.............

I am about 64.5kg and a healthy man. I have a very fast metabolism hence this food consumption. The less I smoke or drink the more I eat. Smoking and drinking cost me about $170 a week on top of $200 food. But when I don't smoke or drink I eat over $550 a week in food, hence this post. When eating this much food I feel a lot better yet I do not gain weight........

I do not know who to talk to for help....... I am concerned that my kids may have the same energy requirements in food consumption as well.......

Your input would be appreciated, good, bad or otherwise........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Concerned about Health

Grumpy,

First of all, congratulations for admitting what you have been doing. That is a great first step!

I think you need to change your diet.
    You are wasting money on beer and smokes when you and your wife could be buying food that has better food value.

Cut out the high carbohydrate foods and eat more foods high in protein and more vegetables. Eggs are cheap and are high in protein. My husband can eat two eggs and work half a day. But if he eats cereal or bread for breakfast he feels hungry all day. Find a food chart and change how you and your family eats. You will find it is not so expensive to eat a healthier diet.

Also make a chart what money is being spent on and you will find there are other ways to cut expenses. Buying beer and ciggs is really not the best use of your money to avoid hunger. Because besides indulging bad habits, you are ruining your health and giving your children a bad example of how to deal with problems.

You can become a good family leader and stop that foolish behavior. Denying yourself health is not a good example for your children. The best thing is that you will no longer be grumpy. Let us know what changes you make.

Best wishes to you.

Reply Reply

Tags
    alcohol, dieting, smoking