It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

• My Mama had a hemorrhagic stroke and I'm so scared :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
    Jenzie
    (female)

Jenzie HB User
    My Mama had a hemorrhagic stroke and I'm so scared :(

On May 28th my Mama had a hemorrhagic stroke, and had a blood clot the size of a tennis ball removed from the left side of her brain. She told the doctors that the year was 1920.She basically knew nothing. Before her surgery she knew me. The hospital kept her sedated for about 4 days after surgery. When she woke up she knew me. She also knows her own name now. One day she knew my oldest Daughter, the next day she didn't. On June 3rd (my Brothers Birthday) she was actually able to eat (scrambled eggs and milk). On June 4th she was moved to rehabilitation. That night she fed herself her own supper. That night she had a severe attack of pain, holding her head in both hands, kicking her feet, banging her head on the bed and screaming OH to the top of her lungs. Nurse came in an tried to give her 2 Tylenol. My Step Father totally went off. Needless to say, several hours later she was brought 2 Percocet. The next morning when the doctor came in, he crawled these nurses and gave a standing order for stronger medication when my Mama needed it. He also had her moved to a different floor with better nurses who are way more caring!!

On June 5th my Mama sang the first verse of one of her favorite songs and didn't miss one word. We were all ecstatic!! Yesterday we went to visit her. She "acted" as if she knew me, but I can't be sure. She kissed me several times and smiled. She was fascinated about a silver teddy bear necklace I was wearing and she wouldn't stop playing with it. I had my Grandson take it off of me and I handed it to her. She held it and just stared at it, then the chain fell and she jumped with a look of terror on her face. We hooked my necklace to her hospital bed so she can look at it. Next she was fascinated with my keys which were hooked on the loop of my jeans, and she reached for them. Naturally I gave them to her. On my key ring is a strap my Daughter made me, trimmed in bright lime green with black/white zebra print in the center. She held my keys the whole time I was there just staring at them (I'm thinking because they were shiny and bright). She smelled of them, and also put them next to her face.When we left I took off the lime green zebra strap and gave it to her.

Sometimes she just looks at the wall or the ceiling and just smiles so big, or lets out a small laugh. Yesterday, my Grandson who is 12 seemed to be her main focus as far as family in the room. She constantly smiled at him!! My Daughter and I feel like she is in a child like state right now, and seems to relate to him. I want to go buy her this doll called a "Dressy Bessy", because this doll is bright colored, has a zipper, a button and strings to tie (to teach small children to do these things). Could this also help my Mama with her rehabilitation?? I've also told my family the entire time when she's awake that she can hear us. Do you think she can?? When she knows us she can say our names, but mostly she just rambles (Bless her). By the way, she's 71 I forgot to mention this. I didn't ask a lot of questions in my post, but would appreciate SO much any comments that could help. I feel like I'm losing my best friend. Since the time of her stroke 10 days ago I can no longer function, concentrate and can only cry. PLEASE if you have anything to help me or to help me help her...comment back. Thank you all so very much and God Bless.

Jenzie

The following user gives a hug of support to Jenzie:
    Snoopy61 (06-07-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: My Mama had a hemorrhagic stroke and I'm so scared :(

I'm so sorry this happened to your mom! I notice you are grieving your mom, the way she used to be. I believe she hears, but she may have trouble putting the words together or "spitting them out". Is she getting therapy? Stroke rehab is very important to recovery. I'm sending prayers that your mom can recover. Keep visiting and being there for her. Please ask the doctor about rehab.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Jenzie,
    Bless you and your mama. This has got to be an extremely tough time for you and my heart goes out to you. I cant even imagine....

Except, actually, I can. My older brother had a stroke at the age of 42...he had some similar symptoms upon his move to rehab...no one knew what exactly was happening or what to expect. All I can tell you is that after 4 weeks of rehab, my brother was chattering non stop about all the things he wanted to get back to doing! It was like a light switch flicked back to ON...and all the sudden we had his mind back. Unfortunately, his body didnt respond quite so quickly..it took almost a full year of rehab before he was feeding himself and drink out of a glass instead of a sippy cup. It took even longer for him to walk without a walker...but it did come back.

Our higher power works in mysterious ways...you cant rule out anything from the realm of possiblities of what might change..but dont give up hope. Anything is possible.
    What are the doctors thinking at this time? Have they given you any prognosis for what type of recovery you can expect?

I will put you and your mother in my prayers.
    Best,
    MSNik

Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi Jenzie,

I am so very sorry, I can only imagine the emotional pain you are experiencing.

Quote:
    I want to go buy her this doll called a "Dressy Bessy", because this doll is bright colored, has a zipper, a button and strings to tie (to teach small children to do these things). Could this also help my Mama with her rehabilitation??
    I don't know if it would help her rehabilitation but it certainly wouldn't hurt it. If you want to get Dressy Bessy for her and there is no reason she shouldn't have it, then get it.

Quote:
    I've also told my family the entire time when she's awake that she can hear us. Do you think she can??
    If it was my loved one I would hope so and continue as if she could.

Quote:
    Since the time of her stroke 10 days ago I can no longer function, concentrate and can only cry.
    ((((Hugs)))) It's important to take care of yourself through this. If you are having trouble coping please seek help through prayer/meditation, clergy, your Physician/medication, close friends/family, distraction, hobbies, etc.

Last edited by Snoopy61; 06-07-2017 at 12:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
    Jenzie (06-07-2017)
    Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
    Jenzie
    (female)

Jenzie HB User

Rose..We're definitely going to keep visiting and being there for her. I really appreciate your prayers.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
    Jenzie
    (female)

Jenzie HB User

MSNik..your Brothers story has sure given me hope. Thank you!! Although all cases can be different I pray my Mama's as lucky as your brother, and happy to hear he's doing well. Thank you for your prayers. They're very much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
    Jenzie
    (female)

Jenzie HB User

Snoopy...thank you. As you said, I just feel the doll idea is a good one. Right now it seems she's going to have to re learn to do these things (snapping, zipping, tying and buttoning), and from our visit yesterday we can tell she likes colorful and shiny things..which this doll is. I'm trying to cope as best I can with all things considered.

Thank you again so much.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Closed Thread